1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by Clonebug »

You don't need it 36 inches from the turbo.....

Mine is mounted in the middle of the radius 3 inches from the turbo and has worked like that for 4 yrs.

Mount yours like this....it will be just fine.....

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Directions also say to mount it at a 15 degree angle away from the flow of air. That's not necessary either? Looks like yours is pretty much square on the pipe.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mine is at the 10:00 o-clock position.

I did it that way to make the wiring point the way I was running it. It's been that way with the PLX for I think over 3 yrs. now without issue......yes.....since May of 2014 is when I installed it.

The sensor is usually mounted in the 10:00 or 2:00 position.
For you I would be more concerned about the exhaust being long enough to make sure the sensor doesn't see free air.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I mean it's says it's supposed to be mounted at an angle to the pipe. 15 degrees it says. Not perpendicular to the pipe.
And yes I'm worried about free air too. But I don't think I can go any longer out the back. They are already going to be raising eyebrows at this thing. Jonny law is pretty tight here.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I have not seen any OEM sensors that are mounted at 15 degrees so if I were you I would mount it straight in the middle of the radius at 10 or 2
buguy

Post by buguy »

Also I started running the PLX and that damn thing might just reach. I got it run with the other wires through the firewall and inside and down in the rear side panel. Once I got to the heater channel where the wires run I couldn't feed my snake through it. Something kept blocking it. But running it near it's path it looks like it will be very close. So I will have to pull the carpet off that area I guess. Surely I will ruin the carpet because I glued it real good there. Oh well. It's only green paper I guess.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I run all my wiring along the tunnel on the passenger side and straight up the front firewall on my buggy.

buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I'm going to run it all with the rest of the wires. I did a quick search and it looks like I may have ran them incorrectly though. Or maybe my search found the wrong year. I'm not real sure. I think I'm going to run mine down the driver's side along the heater channel on the floor. Then just run it up to under the hood with the other wires. I will have to pull the carpet up to do it still though. It looks like it might reach but there won't be any extra for sure. If it makes it!
I've been shopping for bends again too. Found some mild steel bends for $8.50. Pretty hard to pass that up. Need to see what shipping is though. Great planes bends are $11 and shipping on 6-7 of 'em is a little over $21.
Also I'm still getting my ass kicked by that vacuum secondary carb. I thought I had it figured out but now it won't seem to pull fuel at idle. Had to put the 450 cfm back on. I think I'm just going to run that one while I start collecting FI stuff. I have LOTS of questions though!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well I got the PLX wire ran from the back to the front. Also ran some plastic type harder tube for the boost module. Jacked up the carpet a bit pulling it off. I glued it on good in 1994! I'm a little bummed too. I didn't notice 'til tonight the 2 modules I got are different. The wideband module is plastic and the boost module is metal. I like the look of the metal way better. I made an aluminum plate thing to mount them on and make it look nice....and now they don't even match. Dumb! I didnt get the bung welded on yet. Couldn't quite decide exactly where I wanted to put it. I need to get some Velcro to secure the modules to the plate and then power it all up.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Got the O2 sensor bung welded in. Had a bit of trouble with grounding because of the clear coat. But it's on.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Boost away!!!!!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Unfortunately there won't be much boost. I'm still waiting for pipe and not 100% sure how I want to set it up with the new turbo. So it will just have the T3 on for now..
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Looks good!
Better to be blown than to suck!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Thanks. Still have to try to mount that silly gauge.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well I had to fight for it, but the gauge is in and its all hooked up. I struggled because the ground on the boost module didn't make contact with the connector apparently. There are no little lights or anything so I didn't know it wasn't getting power. So after some tests I got it all to work. All I saw was lean lean lean. Went from a 34 nozzle accel pump to a 40. It was better but not good enough. That was the biggest I had so I drilled it out 'til I liked that transition. Then the main jets were lean. So I ended up going from a 52 to a 65. Again better but still not quite there. I still need to get a power valve that opens earlier I think. This carb isn't boost referenced either. The car makes so much vacuum it's going to be tough. I have a feeling I will have to come back down on the mains though. If you hold it at a steady 2500 rpm or so it gets kinda fat. These were all done sitting still. I haven't driven the car in 9 years or so and I didn't want the maiden voyage to be at 9pm.
Everything is hooked up but it's just laying in there. I wanted to be sure it was all going to work before I mounted the modules all nice and stuff. I will probably do that tomorrow night and then take it out for some drives and more tuning on Saturday. I just made a quick and dirty gauge mount for now too. I have to decide where I want it to be permanently. I'm thinking about taking out the speaker grill and making a plate for there to put the gauge in.