1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by buguy »

I thought the smallest they made was a 600. But I really wouldn't want to have to tune one of those anyway. They aren't much fun.
And 99% of carbs don't have the power valve restrictor jets. I think just the super $$$ race carbs have them. Only one of my carbs has the metering plate. The rest have the metering block. They all just have the passages but no jets there. Easy to drill and put jets in though.
theKbStockpiler

Post by theKbStockpiler »

I think the 4160's come with a non jet-able metering block on the primaries and a plate on the secondaries. Metering blocks take care of that issue. If i remember correctly; the secondary metering blocks have the jets for the idle with no idle screw.
Super beetle with attitude
buguy

Post by buguy »

All Holley carbs have metering blocks with jets on the primary side. 4160 have metering plates and no power valve and no accel pump on the secondary side. 4150 is the double pumper with metering block, power valve, and accel pump on the secondary side.
And yes secondary side of the 4150 has idle/air screw, but some have idle screw too. Maybe all... I'm not sure.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

What is a carb? :shock:
I think you should be deciding what size injector to run. :) :)
Good Luck
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I already have a size in mind! I just want to get her running good enough to take to 3 VW shows we have near here in the next 2 months. I got my ass kicked by electrical problems with the headlights/turn signals today! Got it figured out then broke a spade connector, then broke the thing the spade connector goes on. I bought some aftermarket headlight assemblies and used my original glass a long time ago. The aftermarket stuff is absolute junk. Really tough to get together and keep it together while installing the headlight. I use the parking light inside there for a turn signal and that POS is really testing my patience!
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Sorry, not meaning to beat you up. I have had my fair share of problems too, it is always the simple things that get me. You will get it figured out, and then move on to what inspires you. I am addicted to FI and boost, it is a progressive disease that has no hope for a cure. :twisted:
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I am ready to move to efi. Especially now that my new (to me) turbo smokes so bad. It doesn't seem to like draw through much.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

woodsbuggy1 wrote:no hope for a cure.
Kenric
Only more boost! 🤣🤣

Better to be blown than to suck!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well balls. I thought I figured out my problem with the smoking. I pulled my drain hose off tonight and it was dry. Pulled the hose off the turbo side and it started coming out down by the drain. So I bent the outlet in the turbo a little but it didn't look like enough so I cut it down. It was about a 3" long nipple and I cut it in half. Left the outlet side off and put a cup under it and it was coming out pretty good but it still seems to smoke. I don't really know if it's any better or not, but it doesn't seem like it. I hooked it all back up so I will see if it clears up at all.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Woowee! Drove the bug home today. Happy to say it made it without a hitch. 3 lanes of crazy drivers at rush hour wasn't the greatest, but I made it. Definitely gonna have to get something besides those 135's on up front. Too many dummies slamming on their brakes for my liking!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Smart car tires are much better. 155/60r15 is what is on mine i think. I like them on a 5.5" rim. I run 145/65r15s on my 3.5" rims.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I have 5.5 rims. Too bad though because I REALLY like the look of the 135's.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Also I wanted to note (for myself as much as anything else) that this was my longest drive I've had since I brought it down. She runs a little rich at cruise (10.8afr) and then with very little throttle to full throttle it's good (right around 12). Well... As far as I could tell. Once I got much near 3/4 throttle I was coming up on cars in front of me pretty quick. So I kept having to get out of it. Also I don't remember the pedals being that close together!
petew

Post by petew »

10 at cruise? That's nuts. You want it much leaner than that. Like 14 or even 16.

Re tyres, I've got 165s on my car. I had 145s and they were awful. Really terrible. Washed out terrible during autokhanas too. Push understeer for days. :(
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah no biggy. Just a quick jet change and it should be good.
I had 165's on the back of mine but I ran over a giant nail so I put 205/65's on it. Wish I would have gone a bit bigger.