1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by Clonebug »

It held the stock oil line in place. You can grind it down a little safely.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Cool. She dont need much. Hey do you happen to know what size hose fits the drain? I forgot to measure before I left today. 5/8"?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

buguy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:59 pm Cool. She dont need much. Hey do you happen to know what size hose fits the drain? I forgot to measure before I left today. 5/8"?
Yes, 5/8ths....
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Kinda bummed too. About the time I started getting the hang of tig welding I ran out of shielding gas. Well.... Work ran out of gas! Had to finish it with the mig.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You really should be using 3/8th thick flanges at the minimum....... If you run a O2 sensor you need to make absolutely sure your exhaust doesn't leak anywhere or it will skew the readings.........
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I will be redoing the header soon and I will be able to put better flanges on. This was just to get me by 'til then. I lathered it up pretty good with ultra copper so it shouldn't leak. I do have a couple pin holes in the header though. I was hoping to tig those up today too... But then ran out of gas. Mig just blows it out. I haven't pulled the trigger on the pipe yet because I can't decide if I want to try to blow through the carb or just leave it until I gather everything for FI. Either way the header needs done. After I put the new trans mounts on, it moved everything up and now the header touches the bottom of the sheet metal in the engine compartment.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Woohoo! Scored a free brand new high end -3 branded stainless line to run to the oil in on the turbo. Speed shop has a -3 to a 10mm banjo fitting so I should be good to go tonight. Just gotta look around the shop and find a nice 3" exhaust bend now!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well I hope you guys are happy. Had to spend some money on the car today. Felt weird to do. When I put this together initially, I wouldn't have dreamed of buying this stuff. Anyway I think this is the rest that I need to get the Subaru turbo working. Although I might have to go back to the speed shop. I haven't really dug in but those turbo T clamps look a little too big to me. I sprung for real silicon this time, I at least want it to have clamps that fit correctly! Last time I bought radiator hose for semis to connect everything. Still have it on everything else. Guess now I will have to get silicon for the rest of it too. They even had a 10.5 in/hg power valve. That should be just about right for me since I make 23" of vacuum at idle.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Make sure the silicone is the correct size or those clamps will bunch it up and give you a leak.........Don't ask me how I know...... :roll:

Actually the truck rad hose is pretty good......I'm using a short piece of 1 inch for my Blow-Off Valve right now.

Make sure the silicone is at least 5 ply or it will not be very strong and will give you a little twist if the weight is too much.

The inlet for the Subaru turbo is 2 1/16th inches in diameter and hard to find the right hose for. I found a K&N Filter for mine just by chance at a Swap Meet of all places.
You might have to get a silicone hose from The Dealer.
madmike

Post by madmike »

I get all my t-bolt clamp's from a "plumbing" supply store for $4.00ea. :wink:
so u left us in the dark,,so why didn't it start? :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I figured I could stretch this over the turbo and the OD of the intake is 2". If it doesn't work I will return it and go back to rad hose. I have no complaints about it. This stuff I had has been on there for nearly 10 years and still works great. Plenty strong. I have very few miles on it but that's still a long time to be on there.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I think these clamps were $6 so I didn't get hurt too bad.
And I'm not real sure why it didn't start. Once I tested it for spark I just hit the throttle a couple times and it fired up. I'm wondering if it may have been a wire/connection at the coil. That's really the only thing I messed with.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well not much to report tonight. Worked 13 hours so I didn't have much time to play. I did pull the carb and intake off though. I put the new oil line on and saw that the condenser hit the line with just a slight retard in it. So I turned the "T" back a little to gain some clearance. Also put the silicon coupler on. It was tough getting the 2" coupler over the 2 1/16" turbo, but I got er. The clamps did work but they are at the end of their stroke. I guess that was the closest he had in stock. I pulled the carb back apart since it was off and put a couple sizes bigger main jets, and put the 10.5 power valve in. I still need to get some new 5/8" hose for the drain. Hopefully I will get off early enough to get that tomorrow. Need to look around for a 3" mandrel bend too. I'm sure I've seen some around work somewhere. I found a 3" X pipe but I don't really want to cut that up for this.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Worked 14 hours last night so no work on the bug. I did get 2 rolls of 50 foot header wrap. It was cheap so I figured I'd try it out on this old header.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Holy macrel! On my last turbo I only had a 3/8" drain line. Since I don't run a carbon seal on the new turbo and I'm draw through (and that's what the drain is on the turbo) I put 5/8" drain on. I guess I didn't realize it but that's a massive size difference. I have my drain going to the 1-2 valve cover and what a pain to run that giant hose through everything! My turbo is pretty close to the dizzy and I had to bend the drain tube out some to get enough clearance just to get the hose on. I used some new 5/8" hose I found at work and it wanted to kink right at the turbo drain tube so I will stop tomorrow and grab some new stuff. I hope it's a little more pliable! Plunk the intake and carb back on and I should be ready for a test drive. Cold weather on its way back in tomorrow so it should make for some nice dense air!