1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by buguy »

That's not mine
buguy

Post by buguy »

I was out just looking over the carbs. I have 2- 390 cfm mechanical secondary and one 450 cfm mechanical secondary carbs. One of the 390's has screw in air bleeds and one doesn't. The one that doesn't looks to be a bit older design. 4 corner idle will be new for me. As well as screw in air bleeds. I think thats the one I'm going to run. It is furthest left. 450 is on the right and it is the only one that isn't a double pumper. It's what I have been using.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I guess the good thing is that the TD04L-13T is capable of 394 CFM so it will match the carb.......

I researched the 390 Holley many years ago when I first wanted to go turbo. MOLooker had a thread on how great his setup was.

I think he got up to either 150 or 180 hp with it on a 1600 single port.

Those are a highly tuneable carb so you should be able to get it to work.

I'll follow your progress to see what I missed.....
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I wish he was still around to get some advice from. I'm going to order a half dozen sets of small jets to get me going and I should be getting it going soon.
But now that daylight savings time started it's pretty much dark when I get home from work. Perfect time to be soldering MS!
I really need to get myself a wideband now that I will actually be able to start building some real boost. I don't want to waste money, will I be able use the wideband when I switch to MS? Or do you just use the o2 sensor connected to MS?
Last edited by buguy on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Oh and also since I had some time I went to the bike shop and got 11 feet of cable, some sheath, and a threaded end. So hopefully no more mushy throttle!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Ms-2 reads an analog output from the Wideband Controller so you still need everything.

I recommend a PLX with Multigauge.
I have one and it has been running every minute my engine runs for the last 3.5 years.
The controller is easy to hide and the harness from the O2 sensor is a standard Mini Molex connector available online so you can easily extend the harness to whatever length you need.
The gauge is a standard 2 1/16 inch diameter and will fit in a standard hole. The only bad part about it is it doesn't come with an attachment setup so you have to figure out how to hold it in the hole yourself. It is only about a 1/2 inch thick too.
An o-ring stretched around the back should do it.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Great. I was planning on a PLX too, so that works out. I'm going to order it tonight!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Ugh. I can't quite decide if I want the gauge or the Bluetooth! I need to do more reading because I seem to remember someone telling me the Bluetooth only reads a couple things and the gauge does much morw. But I just wanted to tell anyone that might be in the market, the PLX on their website is on a black Friday sale for a good price right now.
Hot damn! $50 for the vacuum /boost module! I'd spend that on pizza!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I got suckered into buying the EGT controller with thermocouple for $49.95 on sale at Christmas. I also have it connected to the MS ECU for data logging.

You can daisy chain 32 different controllers to the multigauge.

It also reads out voltage so if you have a volt gauge there is your spot for it....... That's what I did.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I was thinking air inlet temp would be handy to know but is EGT important on these? I wonder if you could convert the fluid temp to read head temp?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

The EGT is quite boring and if I could do it again I don't think I would bother.

If you are going Megasquirt then IAT and CLT/Head temp will be covered by the sensors that you install with it.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I don't know much about EGT but I should. I've been driving a turbo diesel for a while now!
madmike

Post by madmike »

Good choice on the carb :wink: , I've alway ran with Vacuum secondaries,, Waiting to hear the results with ur new set up :D
buguy

Post by buguy »

I have a feeling I will sell one or both of these and buy a 390 vacuum secondary carb. New these fetch nearly $700 so I should come out ok selling them used. They are hot sellers.
But this is what happens when you don't plan ahead! The fuel inlet will go right into the fan. Gunna have to run separate lines and "y" them somewhere. Guess I should have welded it the other way but then it would have messed up my throttle cable positioning.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Throttlecable linkage?
Better to be blown than to suck!