1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
andy198712

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by andy198712 »

that sucks!

question on making the exhaust. when welding, do you set the welder up for the pipe work or set it up really high for the flange? does that makes sense? as what will work for the tube wont penetrate the flange well....
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm no welder but my guy said something about having it high and concentrating the heat more on the flange.
I'm still waiting for my collector from Great Planes. I'm going to have to give them a call Monday. I didn't get any sort of conformation or shipping information when I ordered it. I got a set of brass exhaust nuts from them too.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Tig is nice for that, set the heat where you want it for the flange, then just play with the throttle till stuff melts together. I heat the flange until it starts to puddle, then put the heat into the tube, and get it to start melting, then draw the two puddles into each other. Add rod when your gaps suck, but if they don't, you can probably go without adding filler.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm planning to do my tacks with a mig then finish welding with the tig. The flanges I got really fit the pipe nicely. Nice and snug. Hope I can make the rest of my cuts nice so I don't have much bridge to deal with. I'm brand new with the tig and only welded with it once.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Its a start, i dont even have a welder and have to pay a guy to weld my stuff. But he's worth it. He can weld everything!
Better to be blown than to suck!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Honestly your probably better off. I think when building a header from scratch you could have 16+ joints to weld. That's a lot of potential for pin holes of your not good at it. I know I had a ton when I built mine. I think many of mine were caused by over grinding the welds to try to make it look nice though.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

A welder was one of the better tools I've purchased. I'm not great at it, but I've improved a lot, and I've saved a ton of cash not having to have others do the work for me. Steel is pretty cheap, makes it pretty easy to get in practice.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I went and bought a Miller 175 when I first built my bug 10 years ago. I got it to do the welding needed to narrow my beam. Kind of wish I would have gotten a bit smaller one that didn't need 220v. Would have made using it a little easier and I never weld heavy enough to need 220v. A 135 or whatever would have done just fine. I'd love to pick up a tig but they are pretty pricey.
I should try to hurry and get my header tacked up because there is an awesome welder and work and he is quitting on a couple weeks. I might need him to pretty mine up!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I bought a dual volt Everlast Tig, smallest AC/DC machine they had. Awesome little guy, about have the price of its red or blue counterparts.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I've been seeing those and wondering how they compare to the other 2.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I've really liked mine. Its done everything I've needed it to.
buguy

Post by buguy »

So I'm making the 2 barrel intake today. Do you suppose it would make any difference if it is 2 holes in the center (like the picture) or one big opening?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Its all going through the turbo right? I can't imagine a 3/8 extension on the bottom of the carb would make much difference. Its all going through the turbo anyway.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well I was meaning if it should be the 2 holes in the intake base plate or open it up to one big hole?
But no this is for blowing through the 2 barrel. Like this: Not welded up yet because I want my guy to put it on the mill and make sure it's good and flat before I weld it.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I still wouldn't think it would really matter at this point. Its all going into a common plenum. Looks good!