1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
woodsbuggy1

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Hopefully a rebuild will fix your mosquito killer. Keep up the good work!
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm not sure I'm going to rebuild it. A quality rebuild kit with an upgraded step gap piston ring is $159. I could buy 2 more of those turbos for that price. So I'm on the fence about it right now. My wife and daughter are out of town all next week. I might build a new intake and try blowing through this Holley. Also since I've been stepping down on my accelerator pump size I'm curious if that will help some too. And maybe.... Just maybe this cleaning will help seal things up a little too. Doubtful... But my fingers are crossed. I put it back together tonight and I will bolt things back together before doing anything else to at least check it.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Sorry thought it was low mounted :oops:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Not yet!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Dang so I want to get my clutch stuff coming and I had planned to get it from CB but the shipping for me is $56. I don't want to be cheap but that's pretty high. I see some other places have free shipping and I could get a few other things I need at those places too. One of them is Jbugs. Problem is they don't have the clutch disks I'm used to seeing. Anyone have an opinion on the ones they have? http://www.jbugs.com/category/vw-bug-gh ... tches.html
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Email Keith Branch at [email protected] and ask him what a Kennedy Stage I and Exide 503A disc would be shipped to your door.

That where I got my stuff from and it was quite reasonable.....I did pick it up though.

Give him a try.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I called one of the parts stores here in town to check on clutches and they said they sell Exide. Maybe I will check with them again before contacting your guy. I had never heard of them before.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Exide 503 or 503A is the same disc as what CB performance sells as their Super Disc.

The 503A is a semi-metalic disc for slightly better grab.

The Daiken discs are more than likely the same as the Exides.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

They seem to be linked to Daikin.
It's a ridged center isn't it?
buguy

Post by buguy »

I have been shopping around for a decent header to replace the one I cut apart and scabbed together. The more I think about it the less I like the idea of having to come straight out the back and then 180 it around to get back up to the turbo. Also I would still have to buy and weld 4 flanges to attach the Jtubes, and a few bends to get it up to the turbo so it cost would end up being the same or maybe even more than a scratch built. I think I'm just going to build one from scratch so I can have everything right where I want it. I've been thinking about several different ideas for how I want to do it, but I'd like to see if anyone else has seen something that looked good, functional, and hopefully not too complex.
Also I think what I'm going to do is build it with blowthrough in mind and then just make an up-pipe for the time being to keep me on the road. I would also like to have the ability to run my deck lid if I decide to do that too. So has anyone seen something they really liked?
66brm

Post by 66brm »

High mount or low?
buguy

Post by buguy »

Low
66brm

Post by 66brm »

Off the shelf you have two options, cb performance hideaway, or A1/DRD hideaway though with the buyout of DRD it's availability is unknown. Or you could look at rad designs, Rodney seems to do some different designs under the decklid. Do some google searches for images and see what you may want to copy, just remember that height helps drainage
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I really like the RAD header but that looks pretty complex to make. I'm hoping to make something a bit simpler. The good thing with his design would be I wouldn't need to buy a collector.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Just an FYI, if your turbo smokes and you take it apart, do nothing, put it back together, and fire it up..... It still smokes.