Upgrades while engine is out

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Upgrades while engine is out

Post by buguy »

I am going to be pulling the engine when I do the trans mounts. Is there anything I can do that isn't super involved while its out? I was thinking about decking the heads to bump the compression ratio but from what I've read its around 7.5 - 7.7 to 1 now and I'm not sure going higher would be too smart. I barely remember doing the HD springs but I remember not being super confident when I had to cut my own push rods to length. So I would like to have another look at all that. Just trying to get some more performance out of my stock engine. We have a bunch of machine shop type machines at work and a guy that can do the work. I just don't know what would be worth while. I don't want to spend much because I'd like to just start saving pennies for a stroker.
It is a stock dual port 1600 with as mentioned HD single springs and chromoly pushrods. T3 turbo 42/48 with a Holley 450 carb.
Clonebug

Re: Upgrades while engine is out

Post by Clonebug »

Just run it till it pukes......7.5-7.7:1 isn't too bad. I'm running 7.8:1 and it allows me to go to 22 lbs boost.

If you have a small turbo that comes on early you won't miss the low end since the turbo will help with that. I can get 100 plus kpa at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and shifting at 3000 rpm.
It drives great and keeps up with anything on the road at that rpm. If i want to go faster I just rev it a little higher.

Yours might be different with draw through and carb though.

I have found a turbo isn't all just for top rpm power.....they really help at low to midrange too if they are sized correctly.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Really mine isn't very fast at all. I'm making boost but it doesn't seem to do much. I'm making more like 5-8 pounds though.
It's tough for me to compare though. I had a 1200 in it before and when I got the 1600 I turboed it right off the bad. Never drove it without the turbo.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

5-6 lbs is nice.
10 lbs is....oh yeah!!!
13 lbs is ...Now we're talking.....
22 lbs is Holy S**T!!!!

Work on turning up the boost.......
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm hoping redoing the header and getting rid of the heater boxes will help! It always seemed labored to make much boost before. I haven't driven it in a really long time though.
petew

Post by petew »

While you've got the trans out, seam weld the chassis forks like this...

WP_20150201_001.jpg

Then buy or build a basic kafer bar setup...

WP_20150416_002.jpg

Both are pretty easy to do and help a lot. I think we already talked about the Berg style gearbox brace.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
petew

Post by petew »

Oh, and throw a camber compensator on too. Cheap and cheerful. :)
buguy

Post by buguy »

Do you have to cut a hole in the sheer metal for that kafer bar to go through to the shock mount?
petew

Post by petew »

I don't think so. I have an oval window and they have straight shock towers and a hole there already. Your car will be slightly different but should be easy enough. Just search for a few pictures on Google images.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm planning to throw it on the lift tomorrow to have a look at the brakes anyway. I will have a look while its up there.