First time turbo build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
yellow_snocone

Re: First time turbo build

Post by yellow_snocone »

panel wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:59 pm It's nice to see someone using the proper hose clamps for fuel lines .
High pressure clamps for the win :D
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

panel wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:59 pm It's nice to see someone using the proper hose clamps for fuel lines .
At least for Fuel Injection fuel lines.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
petew

Post by petew »

Watchu guys goin' on bout?! It's like you think bugs have accidently caught on fire before! When has that eva happen'd?! :shock:

...oh yeah. Right. :oops: :roll:
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

So I'm finally moving into breaking the cam in. I setup a little push start assembly with my oil pressure light so i can prime the oil before doing the cam. I pulled the rockers and spark plug and had the fuse for the fuel pump removed. I began turning the motor over in 5 second runs after doing this for 10 minutes i noticed my oil pressure light was still lit. My starter was pretty hot by then so i stopped. What could be causing the leak of oil pressure?

Here is my push start setup with light
FB_IMG_1504488816119.jpg
I'm using the stock oil pressure sensor for now
FB_IMG_1504488829347.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

https://youtu.be/UvFgIsHcymM

Priming the engine
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

https://youtu.be/UvFgIsHcymM

Priming the engine
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Did you ever actually fill the oil pump with oil? I always fill the pressure line from the pump with oil and turn the engine backwards to fill the pump. After i do that, pressure always comes fast.
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

Chip Birks wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:03 pm Did you ever actually fill the oil pump with oil? I always fill the pressure line from the pump with oil and turn the engine backwards to fill the pump. After i do that, pressure always comes fast.
I did not full the pump with oil it just had assembly lube. I assumed oil would make it's way there during fill up. I'll put some oil in the lines and run it backwards. Appreciate it chip
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

So i was able to prime the oil and get the rockers back on. I hooked up the relay and ms2 and started testing the coil everything worked. I moved on to crank sensor and after the second start i noticed smoke and quicker powered everything off. Turns out my relay board got really hot fast. Going to need to get a new one.

Looks like the line leading to my coil wires burnt up. Not sure what happened everything was okay when i tested the spark plugs. I had pulled the fuses for the fuel pump and injectors as per the msextra manual.
FB_IMG_1504567422286.jpg
Thankfully nothing else appears to be damaged.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Just solder a real wire to each end of that trace. Save the $100.
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

I guess i could do that. Any ideas on what caused it? Should i unplug my coil while testing the crank sensor and rpm
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Pretty sure there used to be something in the docs about bulking those traces simply because they aren't designed for the current load a coil driver outputs.
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

I'll have to do a quick search on that. I'm just surprised it happened especially since i ran power to the coil during the spark test just before testing the crank trigger and nothing happened then.
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

Fixed the relay board and tested the rest of the sensors.

Wired pass the tracers for the coil signals.
FB_IMG_1505078823587.jpg
Having issues getting my tps to read properly. Calibrated the closed and wide open three times and the tps still wouldn't read right. I'm guessing there is noise in the system just not sure where.
FB_IMG_1505078849884.jpg
Im also setting signal loss while cranking the motor.
FB_IMG_1505078830653.jpg
FB_IMG_1505078838267.jpg
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Based on your sceen shot it looks like your tps isn't showing any real change. 905-915 is nothing. Should be much bigger than that. Is it wired correctly? Have you confimed thw resistance changes when operating it? How many wires does it have?