Is a external oil cooler needed with a turbo set up

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Is a external oil cooler needed with a turbo set up

Post by advinnie »

Hi all its me again hope no one minds me starting a new thread. Anyway I'm doing a turbo conversion on my 1600 beetle but will I / do I need to install an external oil cooler and fan or is the stock dog house cooler more than capable of doing the job?
Cheers all
petew

Re: Is a external oil cooler needed with a turbo set up

Post by petew »

The stock oil cooler might well be up to the job where you are in a cooler climate. However, turbo motors do get hotter and more oil capacity will help you keep it cool. I'd say an extra sump on the bottom of the motor is the best starting point for it. Get one of the thin line deep sumps. It will also stop oil surge in hard cornering.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Hi,

I run an oil cooler in my setup. Was 1776cc Turbo, now 2109cc Turbo in the process. I have a switch and a thermo switch connected to the fan. For the cost of the fan/cooler, if you have the money, go for it.

Also, run a sump. I run 1.5qt. Gene Berg sump. Others will work.

Never had a cooling problem in my car.
Last edited by Volky on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I have a stock sump and have never had a problem with hot oil...in fact I have the opposite.
I could never get the oil temp over 140-160 degrees so I added an external thermostat and cooler and then bypassed the stock cooler to get it to warm up.
It fixed my Vaseline problem.

If i were you I would try it as is and if you find you have a problem then worry about it.

A turbo on a street motor is not going to cause oil temp issues......you are only on boost for a very short time and any oil temp issue is going to be from a different cause.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Ok good point I will run it first and see how it goes.
Is there a "turbo parts for sale " section on here?
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Advinnie, I'm in the U.K. and found that I need to run an external cooler on my 1776 turbo motor. I find it gets hotter on long motorway runs.... or on track days ;-)
Clone runs his motor in a buggy with plenty of exposure to the air, so I'm guessing that's why he has problems getting his oil up to temp.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Dan Dryden wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:54 pm Advinnie, I'm in the U.K. and found that I need to run an external cooler on my 1776 turbo motor. I find it gets hotter on long motorway runs.... or on track days ;-)
Clone runs his motor in a buggy with plenty of exposure to the air, so I'm guessing that's why he has problems getting his oil up to temp.
Hey Dan!!

Long time no see!!!

Did you ever run that TD04L turbo and if so how has it performed for you???

Sorry for the thread jack....If you want you can answer me on my thread.......
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Oh...by the way Vinnie,

You should just post everything in the first thread you started. If you want you can edit the name of it and make that your build thread. That way everyone can see the info in one place and can answer questions much easier.
You can also go back and see what you have done to keep track of it....
dragvw2180

Post by dragvw2180 »

My 2387 runs cool , matter of fact just like has been mentioned mine runs rather on the cool side. I have all the late model stock sheet metal with the stock cooler in place . My heads are Kawell 044's , Mahle cylinders and Weisco pistons.Compression is 8.2
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

dragvw2180 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:02 pm My 2387 runs cool , matter of fact just like has been mentioned mine runs rather on the cool side. I have all the late model stock sheet metal with the stock cooler in place . My heads are Kawell 044's , Mahle cylinders and Weisco pistons.Compression is 8.2
Mike,
Do you run a decklid?
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

I had an 1835 cc engine with dual 48 IDA carbs. I had a deep oil sump and I ran a full flow oil system and mounted a filter under the fender and then a mesa style cooler above the transaxle with a fan on it. It kept the engine cool with no issues. With a turbo system, keep in mind that if you're only using a turbo and piping directly to the intake, your intake temperatures will definitely be higher. The way to cool the intake air down is to use a either a water cooled intercooler or an air to air intercooler between the turbo and the intake. This of course is in addition to the aforementioned sump and oil cooler.

Post by RJVolksperformance »

Clonebug wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 pm
A turbo on a street motor is not going to cause oil temp issues......you are only on boost for a very short time and any oil temp issue is going to be from a different cause.

Its the oil going through turbo that makes it hotter not so much the actual engine heat
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

RJVolksperformance wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:03 pm
Clonebug wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Its the oil going through turbo that makes it hotter not so much the actual engine heat
My turbo uses such a small amount of oil I doubt it raises the temp by much.

On that note......since I now have my Coolant temp sensor that is in the Type 3 oil filler cover wired into the ECU through a relay, I will now be able to monitor my oil temps with just a flip of the switch. I can now switch between the CLT on the head tins and the oil sump CLT sensor.

I'll report in my build thread what I find on long term oil temps.
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Clonebug wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:44 pm
Dan Dryden wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:54 pm Advinnie, I'm in the U.K. and found that I need to run an external cooler on my 1776 turbo motor. I find it gets hotter on long motorway runs.... or on track days ;-)
Hey Dan!!

Long time no see!!!

Did you ever run that TD04L turbo and if so how has it performed for you???

Sorry for the thread jack....If you want you can answer me on my thread.......
Hey Clone. :-)

Yes, I ran the TD04L and was very happy with it! It spools quickly and made good power at 21psi. (194bhp / 222 torque)

Unfortunately, I haven't driven it for the last 2 years because my 2nd son arrived and the bug needed some pretty major (expensive) welding.... so it got moth balled.

The good news is that I'm now in a position to get the welding done and get her back on the road.
In 2 weeks time she's off to have new heater channels and pans fitted.
Then I can start putting her back together and hopefully be driving her by July.
66NCVW

Post by 66NCVW »

I would definitely recommend running one. Oil going through the turbo will absolutely be heated up. I have an external cooler on mine with a small fan and it stays cool enough. running 3500rpm down the road temps would hit 205-210 on my auto meter gauge picking up the temp from the oil filter housing. Before I added the cooler my temps were almost to 250 :shock: