Turbocharged 1600

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
petew

Re: Turbocharged 1600

Post by petew »

I'm not sure how megajolt works, but if it's vacuum/boost indexed like megasquirt, you could have it cut spark to control boost.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I will have to look into that
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

petew wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:12 pm I'm not sure how megajolt works, but if it's vacuum/boost indexed like megasquirt, you could have it cut spark to control boost.
Megajolt uses the EDIS Module and therefore can't do spark cut.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Based on the one junk DIS I foolishly bought on ebay, I would try to find two and get the OEM Puma or aftermarket manifolds and linkage kit for like solexs.

I think (and no I have not verified it) they are clocked and cross-shafted like the old type-3 dual singles carbs. It would be hard to setup as a single (wrong side), would work as two.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

I don't know what access you have to a junk yard, but I just wandered through my local salvage yard and found a few cars with the same approximate displacement as my motor (1776cc). I did a little bit or research prior to going, but it was mostly just looking at Volvos and Saabs. I knew I wanted the T3 flange as well, just because it would be easier to adapt it to the flange on my turbo header. The Subaru flanges are a little different, so if you find a nice one you like, you can go the route Clonebug did and just make an adapter. I just recommend getting familiar with what you want, and piecing it together a bit at a time.
Also, as far as mounting the turbo, I recommend mounting it below the engine bay tins, to keep the hot air out. In Clones case, he was able to mount it up high because he has a buggy. For many others like myself, I wanted to keep the stock look and not chop a bunch of stuff up.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

advinnie wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:42 am Do t know what the T2 came from a friend of mine has it.
I have also considered a TD02L3 turbo from a 2 l MG ZT diesel as well nice and cheap and will not start producing boost till 2000 rpmand will be at max boost by 4000rpm but if I use the wastegate that comes with that turbo the lowest boost it can give is 21psi and that's a little high
You may find that the turbo won't "clock" into the correct position for you to be able to use the internal wastegate / actuator anyway. (Due to the actuator rod and wastegate arm no longer aligning correctly).

I got around this by having the wastegate penny valve inside the turbine housing welded shut and just using an external wastegate.

I suppose it depends on the exhaust header you plan to use and whether it has provision for an external wastegate.
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Here's a link to my thread explaining how I managed to get a TD04L turbo to fit my CB Hideaway header:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=142437
advinnie

My 1600 turbo build

Post by advinnie »

advinnie wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:50 am Hi all I was just wondering how much boost could a stock 1600 twin port bug take?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Right this is the parts I'm going with on my turbo build
T2 turbo
Solex dis 32 carb
Boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator
Deep sump
I will be running 5 psi to start with but hope to be running 10 psi at the end

I will run this without an external oil cooler first and see how it goes.

What I'm still unsure on
What fuel pump?
Do I need an inter cooler?

Could you please help on the unsure items :-)
advinnie

Re: My 1600 turbo build

Post by advinnie »

I'm having trouble changing the topic heading
How do I do it?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Edit your first post
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

The simplest way to get fuel to a carb is to boost reference a stock fuel pump.
It's easy, work great and is cheap.
You don't need a fancy electric fuel pump and boost referenced regulator if you do that.

Pic and info is still in my build and on the first few pages.
O-ring the pump shaft and JB-Weld a 3/16ths or 1/4 inch tube into the vent of the pump and it will work peachy...
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Hello clonebug, just I was going to go down that route at first and have all ready installed the o rings on the stock carbs throttle shaft then by chance really an friend of a friend now of someone breaking a Renault 5GT turbo so contacted them and got a very good deal on the carb. Now this carb is more than able to handle 20 psi of boost although I have no intentions of going that high but I am now aming for a 10 psi boost level witch mean with this carb the fuel pressure must stay 3-5 psi above boost so I'm looking at a 13-15 psi fuel pressure and that's something the stock pump just can't do even when modified.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Why not???

I did 13 lbs. boost with my stock carb and fuel pump for two years........
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I'm sure it will work and that was the way I was going until I came across someone who had just crashed there Renault 5GT turbo and are selling all the parts. I've now got the carb, regulator, pump, and some fittings for £200 that's the only reason my plans changed.

I do have a question: do I need to increase the fuel line size from stock to 7/8mm ID or will stock do witch I think is around 5.5mm ID?