Joe Blow Supercharger

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
84im

Joe Blow Supercharger

Post by 84im »

I did an internet search, but haven't come up with any buyer feedback on this supercharger kit. Can anyone give me first hand experience with this kit, or direct me to a site that has first hand feedback?
I"m thinking of installing this kit on my Manx style dune buggy, with a stock 1600 dual port engine.
Piledriver

Re: Joe Blow Supercharger

Post by Piledriver »

I'm dubious a single DCOE and an air cleaner is worth $800, but the rest looks like it would be fine if you aren't expecting too much power.

The pulley end of the crank has a tiny bearing that's already fighting a high HP fan, and doesn't care for a whole lot more side load.
The problem with a blower is you are always driving a blower unless it has an electric clutch, so head temps and oil temps etc will ~always be higher than stock.

If you keep the boost down, it light live.
Blowers always look cool.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Piledriver wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:30 pm...The pulley end of the crank has a tiny bearing that's already fighting a high HP fan, and doesn't care for a whole lot more side load...
Surely someone's addressed that with an aero prop hub like the Force One by now. Considering how much is invested in some blown engines another $400 seems trivial.
84im

Post by 84im »

I'm not looking for a big jump in hp. The buggy will be more of a summer cruiser than anything else. I thought this kit might be a good alternative to eventually upgrading my stock 1600 to a mild 1776 or 1914 and probably cheaper.
With the supercharger I worry about tuning it properly and possible problems, like the end load on the crank.
It's probably time to replace my stock carb and I thought this would be a good time to look at other options. I was also thinking of going with dual carbs for now and upgrading the engine down the road.
Possibly a set of used Dellorto 36's or a new set of 40 Webers from Aircooled.net
petew

Post by petew »

I bought an AMR500 and pulleys (not from Joe Blow). I spent a long time looking into mounts, pulleys and the rest and sold it in the end. It can be done, but for the amount of effort required, a turbo was a much better proposition. I'm also dubious about your ability to fit the supercharger under the back of your buggy without lots of carving up the body.

For the record, aside of the pulleys, the joe blow kit is overpriced IMHO.

P.s. And that's before we even start talking about engine management and effective intercooling... I've built my whole turbo/EFI/ign setup for only a little more than the cost of the full kit.
Last edited by petew on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petew

Post by petew »

BTW, I was just looking on the JB site and came across this pic...

http://joeblow.me/images/manufacture/IMG_4189.jpg

That intake manifold is a lot less than ideal for even air/fuel mixtures across both sides of the motor. Carbed systems (turbo or supercharger) should have the manifold evenly spaced between all cylinders to ensure proper tuning. See "Turbochargers" by Hugh McInnes, p106...

This is the sort of thing that slowly kills motors by leaning out cyls 1-2. Crazy thing is, if it was injected, it would be a lot less of an issue.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Marc wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:34 am
Piledriver wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:30 pm...The pulley end of the crank has a tiny bearing that's already fighting a high HP fan, and doesn't care for a whole lot more side load...
Surely someone's addressed that with an aero prop hub like the Force One by now. Considering how much is invested in some blown engines another $400 seems trivial.
That would seem the best way to go, but it's far from a bolt on as the case gets bored out for a much larger longer snout bearing.
I think a turbo would be a lot more effective, esp considering the horrible efficiency of most of the tiny blowers.
AFAIK the only *truly efficient blowers are the twin screw types, and those tend to be comparatively long and skinny, which is a bit of a packaging problem on a short/wide motor with a fan housing usually sticking up in the middle.

*ignoring the centrifugals (basically gear-driven turbo compressors, some of which are pretty compact)
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

I have looked at this a few times, but I come up with the same thing, too much for the product. Personally, I would rather do something with a Vortech supercharger, but again, mounting is the issue. Those blowers do make heat, but I don't know how much this little blower would build heat. My guess is it is proportional to the size of the blower, so keeping it low boost is one of the few ways to keep it a non-issue. I do think a supercharger is a way to go. I found a picture, but no information.
Safari Desktop Picture .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
84im

Post by 84im »

Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with a NA engine.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Legallyfast wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:32 am I have looked at this a few times, but I come up with the same thing, too much for the product. Personally, I would rather do something with a Vortech supercharger, but again, mounting is the issue. Those blowers do make heat, but I don't know how much this little blower would build heat. My guess is it is proportional to the size of the blower, so keeping it low boost is one of the few ways to keep it a non-issue. I do think a supercharger is a way to go. I found a picture, but no information.
Safari Desktop Picture .jpg
That is a beautiful installation.
petew

Post by petew »

84im wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:13 am Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with a NA engine.
There are much more simple installs using the AMR300 and 500.

Also, have you been for a drive in a turbo vw? It's a revelation I tell you. ;)
petew

Post by petew »

Here's the sort of setup I was looking for...

http://www.nzveedubnuts.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7224

Pretty simple.
panel

Post by panel »

Some SC links if interested.........just in case you want to make your own kit etc.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145433

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=146043

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=146834

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=146605

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=142107
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

Tyvm for the links. I love reading all the supercharger stuff. I really want to do something like this. The gears are currently spinning............😋
Udo Airbus

Post by Udo Airbus »

I made this kit myself on a 1600DP.. runned good and fast.. but almost impossible to start the engine when hot..
VW T1 1964 - Mouse Grey - Pearl White OG paint

Bagged, Porsche steeringrack/brakes..IRS, 1915cc