TURBO STREET RAIL

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.

Moderator: seabeebuggy

jackthegripper

Re: TURBO STREET RAIL

Post by jackthegripper » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:22 pm

dash and ebrake set up complete. usb and 12v outlet along with the boost timing control knob.
working on some carb stuff and boost creep issues, would like to move onto suspension work but need everything working in unison first. disc brakes will happen this winter along with some much needed alignment corrections. Also have a lead on a karmann ghia for the cheap i would like to swap the turbo motor in, maybe when more funds become available :(

Udo Airbus

Post by Udo Airbus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:07 am

nice job!
VW T1 1964 - Mouse Grey - Pearl White OG paint

Bagged, Porsche steeringrack/brakes..IRS, AMR Supercharged 1600 (sold) building a 1971cc EFI turbo/supercharged engine

jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:40 pm

well brakes died yesterday so i put new cylinders and lines up front. didnt get time to take a look at the rear brakes but drove home from the shop at 10:00 at night in some moderate rain and that was not too much fun!

petew

Post by petew » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:58 pm

When I had a buggy, I found rain was fine as long as you kept moving. You only really get wet when you stop at the lights. ;)

jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:31 pm

i dont think ive shared how the fan housing came out yet, video clips coming shortly. think im gonna run it down the quarter at esta this weekend

Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:12 am

Did you loose a finger in the fan?!

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:56 am

Chip Birks wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:12 am
Did you loose a finger in the fan?!
:lol:
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

madmike

Post by madmike » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:50 am

:lol: Good one Chip,,,
Have fun running the 1/4 my guess will be in the 13's?

rubenski

Post by rubenski » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Chip Birks wrote:Did you loose a finger in the fan?!
Exactly what i was thinking!!!

Nice build! I like how you positioned the turbo.
Better to be blown than to suck!

jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:52 pm

one the photographers at the drag strip got a cool picture of me.
buggy was also put on the scales at my dad's work and it came in at an even 1500lbs with me and a full tank of gas

Also big update on the buggy, been having a lot of issues; which is expected with a build of this caliber. ill start with power issues: I had some exhaust leaks and wastegate problems and thought that's why it wasn't building boost right but even after it was all sorted and wastegate completely sealed off it won't make pressure until ~3k and builds up to redline climbing slowly the whole way only to 12psi. There's hardly any turbo noise except for it cramming air in at full boost. Don't get me wrong the car is really fun to drive and pulls like a bastard in high rpm but I want to spool really low and not have to rev the thing out. I think part of the issue is the header design as well as the outdated turbo technology. (Specs on the snail are Compressor: .63 A/R 50 trim Turbine: .36A/R 70 trim)

Those are the performance issues on the setup but I recently checked the turbo and it has TONs of play and I'm pretty upset, it doesn't contact the housings yet or smoke really at all but it certainly is not right. The motor has never been run hot but I have had an issue with it running too cold, in fact the oil has only reached operating temp (~200°) once and that was waiting in a line for a car show for an hour and a half. It needs a thermostat before the oil cooler but I've just been too busy driving it. Could cold oil ruin a turbo? Another thing I noticed is at low idle, around 750-800rpm the turbo hardly spins, sometimes completely stationary,

Next issue im having are some pretty bad front end shakes and wobbles in the front end. its a link/king pin style and has some alignment issues right now. the wheels are cambered in pretty well with some distinctive wear on the inside. between ~25-35 mph is when the wheels shake and hop a bit. anything i can do for to help improve handling on the buggy with that style front suspensions. tends to understeer under hard cornering, main concern is the shake at city speeds.

some more buggy and engine shots:

i'll put together some footage i've gotten of the car, im afraid the upcoming weather is gonna force me to put the buggy away shortly :cry:

seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:20 pm

Figure out when you can what boost you will run. set timing at full advance and minus the 24 from that. device the remaning number by lbs of boos and that is what you pull on timing. plus or minus depending on how much you boost. I pull .4* Lb.

seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Just get a small t3 turbo for the1600 . The car is light and does not have must to help build boost or drive up hill for larger numbers.

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:32 pm

Just looking at the turbo my guess is it is too big for your engine.

Look up the specs for your turbo and find out how much air it will flow. You need to use a turbo that puts out the airflow you want for your targeted hp.

For ex. My TD04L-13T will put out 394 cubic ft per minute of air which will support 270 hp.

It's always about airflow.......

Here is a calculator you can use to see how much air you need at a given boost level for whatever size engine and rpm you want to. It's pretty accurate when I put my engine numbers in.......

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/calcboost.html
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.