TURBO STREET RAIL

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
jackthegripper

TURBO STREET RAIL

Post by jackthegripper »

I have been cruising the forums and pouring over vw books for the past couple months in the process of putting together everything i need for a draw through turbo build on a 1600 dual port. Figured i would post the build thread here because of the how much time i spent in this section reading other peoples experiences.

Little background information on the car/motor:
Berrien Buggy sand dune style frame with aluminum panels (DZUS fasteners :lol: ) 1968 registration
H0 engine case (1966?), dual port (375a) heads, (87x69) Slip in P/C, 10mm studs
very tired!

Planning to do a DRAW THROUGH system loosely based off the TURBOMANIA book and things I've pieced together over the past couple months. Plans for the car are to finish it late this spring/summer. Working full time and going to school at night. Live in upstate NY so we still have snow on the ground :!: .

Current plans
1600 (85.5mm x 69) forged P/C and balanced crank
30mm oil pump/ external cooler & filter
Stainless valves, Hi-Rev springs, Light head porting /matching
1.25:1 Ratio rockers, solid arms. chromoly pushrods
HD Clutch, pressure plate, and (lightened?) flywheel

Turbo is out of a 1986 grand national (40,000 miles) Garrett .60 ar cold .63 ar turbine. swapped out the huge hot side turbine for a .38 A/R housing! Bead blasted and all cleaned up. shooting for 10-15 pounds eventually . Acquired some methanol injection things i might play with in the future as well.
Fuel is delivered with a carter pump and boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator to a Dellorto 40DHLA.
Dellorto was used out of an alfa romeo, modified carb according to turbo mania, and ordered jets for the extra fuel delivery!
ImageImageImage

Ignition will be taken care of by MSD 6BTM, blue coil, and 009 magnetic points distributer ~24 mechanical advance and 1.5 retard for pound of boost is plan?

Have to fab a dash for the gauges and switches, and a breaker panel for all the circuits. Tach, speedo, oil temp/pressure, boost, Air fuel ratio. switches for ignition and blinkers, headlamps, wipers,
have to rig up a wiper. Thinking of going the hand operated route.
Need to fab up a floor bracket for the ebrake as well.

Exhaust will currently use the baja header on the car now but a turbo mounted on the collector. In the future a stainless head will be built but for now i want to get the project moving along. 40mm external waste gate will also be piped in with a boost controller for precise boost rise and maximum adjustability.

Im sure im forgetting some things, I'll throw some more pictures up of some stuff (especially the turbo) & i'll continue updating as i go along, Im open to any input and welcome questions!
Last edited by jackthegripper on Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Clonebug

Re: 1600 TURBO RAIL

Post by Clonebug »

I would downsize the oil pump to 26mm max.

I'm not sure but the H0 case could have the smaller oil passages so be careful on pump size.

If it has a smaller inlet tube you might want to do a little research on pumps.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

will the case still be suitable for my build with the oil restrictions?
petew

Post by petew »

Well to the forum. Nice to see another turbo mouse motor. :)
madmike

Post by madmike »

add a 1 1/2 qt. deep sump you should be fine ,save for a 'real' turbo header I puts the turbo high so not to have issues draining :wink:
petew

Post by petew »

I agree with Mike. You want the turbo up high for good draining... don't ask me how I know this. :(
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Is your turbo carbon sealed?
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

turbo is carbon sealed from 86 grand national. The deep sump will be added to the build and i think im going to go the 26mm oil pump as well. MSD 6btm came in today which amped me up 8)
uploading some more pictures of the turbo as i type this
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

1.5 degrees pulled is a lot. at 10 lbs of boost youll only be 9 degrees advanced
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

hello, quick question on some dual port heads. I cleaned them up real nice and found some interesting things. one head was welded/repaired and both had steel inserts in spark plug holes. Im assuming i cant use the head with the crack forming between, but is the pitting okay in both of the heads? My friend has a spare dual port im hoping i can use.

ImageImageImage

other side

ImageImageImage
madmike

Post by madmike »

I've use them 'cracked heads' (between the seats)before , no issues,,, look for cracks from seat to plug hole= not useable :roll:
inserts will be ok too don't overtighten :wink:
but if u need peace of mind get another head :lol:
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

Sorry for the lack of updates, a lot going on with work and school. Midterms were kicking my ass last week! :shock:
decided to completely break down the case last night. Didnt look to bad inside, got a big order coming from CB with bearings and counterweighted crank and a bunch of misc stuff. Still need to finish up the order through ACN for clutch flywheel and pressure plate plus hardware and other necessities. Assembly coming sooon! :lol:

ImageImageImage
edit: the last pic had us laughing, lots of "blown head gasket jokes" :twisted:
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Great to see a new build, looks like you are making good progress.
Just a thought on your turbo selection; I think you will not make any boost below 7k or so rpm. That turbo worked really well on a 3.8L engine but will be very hard to spool on an engine less than half the size.
Good Luck
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

woodsbuggy1 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:15 pm Great to see a new build, looks like you are making good progress.
Just a thought on your turbo selection; I think you will not make any boost below 7k or so rpm. That turbo worked really well on a 3.8L engine but will be very hard to spool on an engine less than half the size.
Good Luck
Kenric
Yup the turbo would have been very laggy on the little 1.6 so i swapped the exhaust housing to a .38 so it should be spooling just off throttle hopefully. :twisted:
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

Hey guys, looking for a little help on the motor rebuild. I have been reading a lot and watching rebuild stuff on the internet. Was planning on reusing lots of the internals but am getting nervous with such an old motor. My budget is getting limited so don't want to go too far. Any advice is appreciated!

First thing i'm concerned about it the case, i know when i clean it this week i'm going to find cracks and i'm sure its been pounded too but ill double check everything and see how bearings and stuff fits. I believe i'm the first person in the case since it was manufactured but i'll find out soon. The motor also still has 10mm studs and no case savers which i don't trust anyone around here to install (upstate NY). Are there any alternatives to a new case; i don't think my pockets are that deep for this project but it would be nice to have a dual relief and case savers. :?

Another thing i have heard is new or rebuilt rods are a must? I was planning on reusing the stock ones because i've heard mixed things and that they hold up to boost alright. Am i just getting carried away at this point? im not planning on going too extreme on this car, I just want to do it right the first time and coming from Subaurs i know how devastating rod failure can be.

Discovered my cam followers are shot as well, have those on the way but was wondering about reusing the stock camshaft. It is in decent condition, i don't see any signs of wear on the lobes really but some of the bearing journals have some discoloration and funk to them. Turbomanina suggests the stock cam is good for a turbo which is why I wanted to reuse it.