2576 Type IV Turbo motor

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
rtalich

2576 Type IV Turbo motor

Post by rtalich »

I have been trying to sell my 914 for a while now but it seems that because the motor I had built for it contains a turbo, it is scaring people away. I am trying to gather ideas on how I can get this car sold and out of my garage... without having to lower the price too much. One idea would be to sell the motor separately and replace it with something else. Here is a list what the motor consists of:

• Custom machined/clearance GA case. Clearance work done by Jake at Aircooled Technology.
• TDC (Thermal Displacement Coating) Engine case.
• Rotating assembly balanced by Jake at Aircooled Technology
• DPR 82mm Crank
• 9540 Cam
• Revmaster 38mm oil pump, full flow
• 100mm Turbo Nickies, real Nickies from LN Engineering
• JE 100mm Piston, dished and coated
• 5.5” Type 1 H-Beam Rods
• Pauter Roller Rockers
• ChroMoly Pushrods
• Custom Billet Taco Plate
• DTM
• Garrett T3/T4 Ball-Bearing Turbo, TDC coated
• TurboSmart BOV
• TurboSmart Boost Tee
• Tial Wastegate
• Turbo prep’d LE 200 Heads
• Custom Exhaust, Tangerine Racing
• Custom intake plenums, M-Spec Racing
• Custom Fuel Rails, Extrudabody
• SDS EFI
• 70mm Ford Throttle body
• Kennedy Stage II clutch with six puck pressure plate
• Custom surround tin, Original Customs

I paid at least $15000+ for these parts alone. Motor has less than 2000 babied miles on it. How much would you be willing to pay for the motor alone? Realistically...
turbobaja

Re: 2576 Type IV Turbo motor

Post by turbobaja »

rtalich wrote:I have been trying to sell my 914 for a while now but it seems that because the motor I had built for it contains a turbo, it is scaring people away.

I paid at least $15000+ for these parts alone. Motor has less than 2000 babied miles on it. How much would you be willing to pay for the motor alone? Realistically...
Is this for real? "Contains a turbo" is the understatement of the decade. What's your asking price?? It's either too much or not everyone is buying the "2,000 babied miles" part,...who builds an engine like that and babies it for 2,000 miles? Are you trying to say you never even pushed it, once? I'm not buying THAT, lol. Got a link to your add for the 914?
Karl

DON'T QUIT
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Links/pictures would be good and very helpful towards a sale.

Sounds like an awesome setup, have a build thread and documentation?
Its not too late to start one if you have the pics etc.

The odds of breaking even or even close are not good, esp if broken up...
Most folks never get to finish a project like that, curious why you are selling?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
rtalich

Post by rtalich »

turbobaja wrote:
rtalich wrote:I have been trying to sell my 914 for a while now but it seems that because the motor I had built for it contains a turbo, it is scaring people away.

Is this for real? "Contains a turbo" is the understatement of the decade. What's your asking price?? It's either too much or not everyone is buying the "2,000 babied miles" part,...who builds an engine like that and babies it for 2,000 miles? Are you trying to say you never even pushed it, once? I'm not buying THAT, lol. Got a link to your add for the 914?
For the amount of money I put into this motor the LAST thing I wanted was to have it be destroyed!! The only goal for this car/motor was to be my daily driver... so yes, I drove it as though it did not have a turbo. I've never taken it past 5k RPM!! I don't appreciate you or anyone else calling me out!! I don't even know you and vice versa.

-Rob
rtalich

Post by rtalich »

Piledriver wrote:Links/pictures would be good and very helpful towards a sale.

Sounds like an awesome setup, have a build thread and documentation?
Its not too late to start one if you have the pics etc.

The odds of breaking even or even close are not good, esp if broken up...
Most folks never get to finish a project like that, curious why you are selling?
Here is a link to the 914World post... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=257971

I realize that I will never break even... basically and to say the least, I've just lost interest and want it out of my garage. I don't drive it simply because I cannot fit both of my kids in it and I have to pick them up right after work.

Thanks,
Rob
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

If I was in a car buying mode I'd be all over it, someones going to get a nice car.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

That looks like a great driver as-is, for the right person. Seems like it would be worth hanging onto after such a time/money investment has been made. It's a small enough vehicle to store ~easily. I've got a rediculous amount invested in a vehicle worth a fraction of the some of its parts, so I know how you feel. I also understand the need to move on for various reasons. I hope you find someone willing to pay close to what its worth to you.

Too bad you'll never know what that engine is capable of. At 10 psi I'd say your easily in the 300hp range, which I'm sure is a blast in that machine.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

With an intercooler on E85 you could probably snap CV joints on cue...
With longevity in mind, 300HP is is probably a reasonable limit for the transmissions and stock chassis sake.
With a good intercooler you could probably make a bit more power on less boost.

That motor would likely make well north of 200HP NA.

Depending on which SDS system it is it may or may not have datalogging capability, or ignition control.
The early SDS units are little better than the first gen CB EFI with knobs.(more consistent)

Hopefully its at least an EM5 with the optional datalogging and optional sequential/per cylinder fuel trims.
rtalich

Post by rtalich »

To be completely honest... I'm just done with the car. Ready to move on and get it out of my garage. Don't want to spend anymore time and money on it. I'd seriously take $12,000 if I didn't have to deal with people asking stupid questions about this and that.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Complete documentation avoids (most) stupid questions.
You have an SDS EM-4, was able to zoom in a little on the pic.

If I had the $$$ now, I'd probably be looking at buying plane tickets already.
Brian Bergen

Post by Brian Bergen »

Awesome. I'll buy it. That's a good price for me. Just need to go for a test ride, please.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Cool... Now I won't be tempted ;-)