New guy, new build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Piledriver

Re: New guy, new build

Post by Piledriver »

For a dedicated AX car light is good--- to a point.
What that point IS depends on who's cutting the flywheel.
You can take it down to ~12-13 lbs without removing ~anything structural if done right.
A good CrMo version could probably go lighter.

Clutch slippage can be a feature, it saves CV joints and transmissions in many cases, esp on drag launches.
Something has to give.

If you are going with an EMS look for something with good traction control/launch control capabilities, and perhaps consider something like a black magic disk that slips cold and locks hard hot.(does require periodic maintenance)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
madmike

Post by madmike »

I'd use stock, Turbo's like the 'Load' :wink:
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Well, Im back after a long hiatus! Went through a divorce and lost interest in the bug for a bit. But im itching to get going on my efi conversion i have almost everything acquired except for a TB fuel pump and a regulator. Should start on the project this fall!
madmike

Post by madmike »

8) Welkome back
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Keep us posted!
Better to be blown than to suck!
petew

Post by petew »

chriswillrise wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:46 pm Well, Im back after a long hiatus! Went through a divorce and lost interest in the bug for a bit. But im itching to get going on my efi conversion i have almost everything acquired except for a TB fuel pump and a regulator. Should start on the project this fall!
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Tough times. Good to hear you're back and able to do fun stuff again. :)
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

rubenski wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:08 am Keep us posted!
annnnnd I still havnt started but I'm officially done messing with carbs. I just finished replacing pans and heater channels along with all other rust spots on the car.

I've broken out my boxes of EFI parts and Im currently looking for any help with megasquirt 2 v3. I have mine what i think is almost done and set up for wasted spark but I am lost since its been years since I built it. Is there anyone local in the San Diego area that could test it or maybe sending it to Mario?

I also would like any leads on a good throttle body to use, I was thinking of just picking up the 48mm one TheDubShop sells

Im pulling my motor in the next couple weeks to check the heads and swap out some other top end parts so i figured it would be a good time to get started on this project ive put off for literally 5 years
madmike

Post by madmike »

Welkome back Again, :lol:
EFI huh? Paging :Clone , Mike :wink: :lol:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I send my MS-2 version 3.0 to Mario...he does his thing and sends it back.....I bolt it in and go.........Sometimes I bring it to him so we can talk turbos and stuff...but then I waste his day so I feel bad......I do buy him lunch though...... :oops: :? 8)

What are you wondering about????

I have had him add a MapDaddy, launch control, boost control, EGT input and maybe more.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Clonebug wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:22 pm I send my MS-2 version 3.0 to Mario...he does his thing and sends it back.....I bolt it in and go.........Sometimes I bring it to him so we can talk turbos and stuff...but then I waste his day so I feel bad......I do buy him lunch though...... :oops: :? 8)

What are you wondering about????

I have had him add a MapDaddy, launch control, boost control, EGT input and maybe more.

I have it all built and I’m pretty sure all set up for what I need. But I have never tested it so I do t know if I did everything correctly. I was reading through everything today trying to figure out if I had it set up correctly for wasted spark, VR sensor crank trigger and the other stuff I need specific to my car but I’m just lost because it’s been so many years since I’ve dived deep into efi

I ordered my end castings and relay board from Mario today so I just wanted someone knowledgeable to maybe take a look at it and make sure it’s buil correctly
buguy

Post by buguy »

Mario is the man for that sort of stuff. As far as the TB, you can literally use almost anything. I used a $20 ford TB. Seems like something in the 50mm is what most use. I see jeep stuff used often.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

buguy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:12 pm Mario is the man for that sort of stuff. As far as the TB, you can literally use almost anything. I used a $20 ford TB. Seems like something in the 50mm is what most use. I see jeep stuff used often.
do you know what your TB was off of? there are a lot of cheap ones on ebay but its hard to find out how big they are
buguy

Post by buguy »

I think mine was off of a late 80's thunderbird. I don't remember for sure now though.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

buguy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:31 pm I think mine was off of a late 80's thunderbird. I don't remember for sure now though.
it seems like one off a 4.0L jeep motor would work. Its like 58mm but it might be too big. Do i need to find one with a IAC valve?
buguy

Post by buguy »

Only if you want IAC. Most will probably have it. Check eBay and search "50mm TB". One from a Mustang will work too. Just nothing too new that is drive by wire.