New guy, new build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
chriswillrise

Re: New guy, new build

Post by chriswillrise »

rubenski wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:42 am Throw a few more bucks at it and go full efi?
Thats a little more than a few bucks. Probably like triple the bucks
petew

Post by petew »

chriswillrise wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:53 pm And im thinking about dropping a little mone and getting marios micro squirt package for ignition. Its just a little steep at 1k and all ill be using it for is ignition and data logging. But i figure its a step in the EFI direction
Then use it to run the whole motor! ;) Seriously, his kits are great value and well put together.

P.s. just upload your pics directly on to STF. You just need to downsize them first.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

petew wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:36 pm
chriswillrise wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:53 pm And im thinking about dropping a little mone and getting marios micro squirt package for ignition. Its just a little steep at 1k and all ill be using it for is ignition and data logging. But i figure its a step in the EFI direction
Then use it to run the whole motor! ;) Seriously, his kits are great value and well put together.

P.s. just upload your pics directly on to STF. You just need to downsize them first.
haha i dont know how to load them strait to STF
petew

Post by petew »

Press the "full editor & preview" button. Down under the editor window, you can upload in the "Attachments" tab. Click on "Add files". Then press, "place inline" once the file is uploaded. Bob's your uncle. :wink:
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Highly Dubious it HAS to be another grand...

I'd debating using my 44IDFs sans venturis on the new 2.5, or the 42mm Yamaha jet ski ones that are 60mm tall...When it eventually goes in the 914 it may see the Webers with pico injectors and fuel rails hidden in the air cleaners.
In the square the Yamaha TBs etc all clear the decklid well on shorty manifolds, just needs a large central airbox of some sort... may be an intercooler as well.

I paid $80 for two sets of those TBs with injectors and all. Yamaha 1100 Waverunner. True ITBs, and was able to space them just like Webers with the std adjustable balance/connection bits, only needed 3mm gap.
Gave me the required two pulley setups as well to make a nice cable pull setup.

I welded a bit of material onto the manifold flanges to match the ones on the ITBs.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

I mean for throttle bodies, injectors, sensors, fuel pump/regulator, piping, couplers/clamps, a new header, BOV, and all the other nick nacks im sure it would be well over that
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I am a hard core EFI guy, but i sure had a lot of fun with my old locked out msd distributor'd, draw through car. It was fun to drive, faster than 99% of cars on the road and looked cool. Sure, its gas mileage wasn't stellar, and yeah, maybe it loaded up a little while idling at 1200rpm at a stop light, but i sure didn't care. I drove the car because it was cool, not because it was a practical daily driver. EFI on my current car has allowed me to tame the beast, somewhat. My new car is heavier, makes more power, drives nicer and is faster than my old car. Thats what EFI did for me. But, the old car got me around just fine, i didn't know what i was missing, and honestly, i didn't really care. Just enjoy what you have. You can always learn how to tune YOURSELF to drive your car just as it is. Not a big deal.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Chip Birks wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:26 pm I am a hard core EFI guy, but i sure had a lot of fun with my old locked out msd distributor'd, draw through car. It was fun to drive, faster than 99% of cars on the road and looked cool. Sure, its gas mileage wasn't stellar, and yeah, maybe it loaded up a little while idling at 1200rpm at a stop light, but i sure didn't care. I drove the car because it was cool, not because it was a practical daily driver. EFI on my current car has allowed me to tame the beast, somewhat. My new car is heavier, makes more power, drives nicer and is faster than my old car. Thats what EFI did for me. But, the old car got me around just fine, i didn't know what i was missing, and honestly, i didn't really care. Just enjoy what you have. You can always learn how to tune YOURSELF to drive your car just as it is. Not a big deal.
I fully agree. I honestly just have an addiction to buying car parts and i honestly enjoy working/upgrading my cars more than driving them. The car the way it is right now is a blast and I dont beat on it as hard as I could be haha it hasnt even touched 5500 rpm
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

chriswillrise wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:22 pm I mean for throttle bodies, injectors, sensors, fuel pump/regulator, piping, couplers/clamps, a new header, BOV, and all the other nick nacks im sure it would be well over that
It depends entirely on your shopping skills and how good/bad a packrat you are.

My setup initially ran with the injectors and TPS from the ITBs adapted to factory manifolds/TB, with modded matching fuel rails as they were the right spacing, a 30 year old fuel pump out of a Rabbit and djet regulator that had been rattling around the bottom of my toolbox for 20 years...

I picked up a full wiring harness for a 08 GSXRsumpthing hat provided miles of awesome quality OEM wire and 2 full sets of injector pigtails, really nice waterproof fuse box/relay set etc. $10.

With the exception of the 30 year old fuel pump, I'm still running the same hardware after 5 years, >500 miles a week minimum, frequently double that.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
petew

Post by petew »

I'd love to see some pics of that build. Have you got a link we could see?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The pics all died once or twice, may have reposted some of them in the T3 forum.
I really didn't take pics of the build per se, (it was 95% used parts) but the finished setup has a few, along with some of the testing, like Marios T4 behind the fan trigger setup and the modded missing-tooth wheels in a 009, which IMHO is the ideal use for a 009...

The main feature is the widened stock plenum feeding the 2L 914 runners/heads...
That combined with the short TB with air cleaner directly on it made for a nice boost in power ~3400 RPM up.

Its probably getting some ancient 96mm NPR flattops in some Chinese mystery jugs in the next few weeks (had Cheng Shin pistons in them, new, made for fine ashtrays) but the jugs are straight, new, correctly bored and proper length, so I'll see how they get along with the fine Japanese pistons.

With any luck I'll have a T3 automatic with a 3.67 R&P in the rear hatch tomorrow, once I rebuild that and installed it will probably get the 2.5l, at least until the Pile 914 is back on its wheels. I also have a 2013 (95x71) sort of in in kit form that will probably end up in the square, boosted.(have been collecting parts for >decade)

The reason for the full automatic is it can take 300++HP, reliably. (an 090 can take >500 HP fully built up)
I doubt you can build a T1 or even 091 bus trans that can do >200 HP long term (10K a year daily driver + track days) for any amount of $$$$, much less the few hundred it costs to fully rebuild the 003 and have the tq converter stall tweaked.
(and rebuild is DIY friendly, totally unlike any manual ACVW trans)
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

picture of the interior!

chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

what do you guys think of CB's crank trigger kit? Its 580 but they have 10-15% off sales every couple of months. How does this compare to like running a micro squirt for ignition only.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Not a huge fan of the saw blade hanging off the end of the crank. But it works nicely from what I've seen. No machine work is always nice too.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Chip Birks wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:30 pm Not a huge fan of the saw blade hanging off the end of the crank. But it works nicely from what I've seen. No machine work is always nice too.
yeah its not the prettiest but the microsquirt with all the sensors and hidden crank trigger is over a grand from mario to just run ignition. And this motor will never be efi.