Which Water-Methanol Injection Kit?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Chip Birks

Re: Which Water-Methanol Injection Kit?

Post by Chip Birks »

I ran it in a drag car. Ran slower in the 1/4 than before. But didn't rejet or anything. I guarantee my electronic stuff will out perform it, 100%. If spraying a shot of pure methanol as an octane boost is all you are looking for, then sure, its extra octane, whatever. The cooling effect comes from the fine mist of water flowing through the intake. Not gonna get a fine mist by squirting a squirt gun down the intake.
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

richardcraineum wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 pm hasn't anyone ever used boost pressure to feed water injection pre-turbo? I've read it, never done it but sure seems simpler & cheaper than all this electronic crap..
I know this will start the " it'll screw up the compressor blades" argument ,but will it? will it really?? how many ppl run draw through for years without damaging the compressor blades...
Boost pressure generally isnt high enough to atomize any sort of water/meth mixture. As Chip said, the best way to get the full effect is to create a fine mist. This takes a decent pressure from a reasonable pump of around 150 psi or so coupled with a correctly sized nozzle.

I opted for the electronic 'bells and whistles' version because I like the idea of injection that ramps up and is adjustable from the drivers seat while being a digital boost gauge at the same time. Looking at my kit, almost all of the parts are things that can be found searching around the internet with the exception of the gauge/ proportional injection controller. You can still fairly easily build your own such as Clonebug or the guy at this link did: http://www.turbomirage.com/water-alcoho ... -list.html
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

richardcraineum wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 pm hasn't anyone ever used boost pressure to feed water injection pre-turbo? I've read it, never done it but sure seems simpler & cheaper than all this electronic crap..
I know this will start the " it'll screw up the compressor blades" argument ,but will it? will it really?? how many ppl run draw through for years without damaging the compressor blades...
I ran it pre-compressor for 10 years with an Edelbrock system. It eventually did erode the smaller diameter part of the wheel. I am still running the turbo with the eroded wheel, but switched to an AEM unit that sprays in the intake plenum ahead of the throttlebody. Much better now.
petew

Post by petew »

slowsixtyduece wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:07 pm Boost pressure generally isnt high enough to atomize any sort of water/meth mixture. As Chip said, the best way to get the full effect is to create a fine mist. This takes a decent pressure from a reasonable pump of around 150 psi or so coupled with a correctly sized nozzle.

I opted for the electronic 'bells and whistles' version because I like the idea of injection that ramps up and is adjustable from the drivers seat while being a digital boost gauge at the same time. Looking at my kit, almost all of the parts are things that can be found searching around the internet with the exception of the gauge/ proportional injection controller. You can still fairly easily build your own such as Clonebug or the guy at this link did: http://www.turbomirage.com/water-alcoho ... -list.html
Ok, so I looked up the prices on the pumps suggested in the site above. Most are above $200 mark. Ouch. Tell me why I wouldn't try something like this?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-Pressu ... SwCQZZJ52F

After all, I get 8% off if I buy more than 2 of them. :lol:
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

Just to close the loop on my original post. The Snow Performance kit I finally chose is installed and working extremely well. I currently have it starting to spray at 2 psi and have it all the way ramped up by 14 psi. I havent started re-tuning my motor yet, but from my first test run my intake temps plummeted drastically when on boost. I used to see 120+ f degree temps on cool days, with the water/meth spraying, it drops the IAT down to 80-90 f degree temps. I am extremely satisfied so far with how well its working and wish that I would have implemented charge cooling, whether through water/meth or some sort of intercooler, earlier. And my cylinder head temps are staying cooler as well.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Do you only spray water or a mix?
Better to be blown than to suck!
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

rubenski wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:42 am Do you only spray water or a mix?
Currently spraying a 50/50 mix of water and methanol, using Snow's branded "Boost Juice" to start.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Go to your local hardware store and get a gallon of Denatured Alcohol and a gallon of Distilled water. Mix them together for two gallons of 50/50 mix
Cost you about $8.50 a gallon that way.
Or get methanol from a gokart track..... for $5.00 a gallon and add the Distilled water.
I like the Denatured alcohol since it is only 3 miles away to get it.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

Clonebug wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:45 pm Go to your local hardware store and get a gallon of Denatured Alcohol and a gallon of Distilled water. Mix them together for two gallons of 50/50 mix
Cost you about $8.50 a gallon that way.
Or get methanol from a gokart track..... for $5.00 a gallon and add the Distilled water.
I like the Denatured alcohol since it is only 3 miles away to get it.
Tell me more about this. Whats the difference between denatured alcohol and methanol? This may be an option for me since I am currently unaware of a methanol supplier near me but Im sure the hardware store has denatured alcohol.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Denatured Alcohol is used in cooking stoves sometimes but mostly as paint cleanup and that sort of thing.
Methanol is supposedly corrosive more so than Denatured from reading on my favorite turbo website.

I am on my third or fourth can now. It all depends on how much boosted time I see. I went all the way to California and back but never used the water since I turned off W/I and Boost control to limit it to 6.0 lbs.
That is kind of my fail safe mode since at 6.0 lbs I can drive anywhere and everywhere with plenty of power along with no worries of detonation.
I recommend having a switch to deactivate that stuff just in case. That way I don't need the computer along to shut it off.

Read this on W/I......it's to the point and good info. Keep in mind these guys are serious racers for landspeed records and have a little attitude. But when you are doing 200 mph on salt it probably is needed.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

i plan on using Quantum Premium screen wash which is 50/50 meth neat according to the MDS (manufacture data sheet) make sure its the premium though. that will cost me just under £4 for 5 litres from a VW dealer....
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

And get a fresh smelling exhaust as a bonus!
Better to be blown than to suck!