basic turbo setup

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
bikesndbugs

basic turbo setup

Post by bikesndbugs »

I plan on trying to do a basic 1600 turbo setup. I want to use a ko3 turbo because it is very small so not much if any lag. That would require blow through the carb so theres some mods that need to be done. Ive read the basic 1600 threads and im still not 100 percent sure on some things. the eaton m45 isnt completely out of the question but im leaning more toward turbo. So would a webber progressive work better because of the ability it have primary and secondary jets so you could possibly more easily have the jets richer under boost while keeping the a/f ratio off boost more regular, or would a stock 34pict work better. Once the carb is usable for boost ive heard it doesn't take much if anything maybe foam float. Then you need boost referenced fuel pump. Im most confused on timing with low boost like 7 pounds do you need to do anything with timing. I see people using a locked in dist or a computer controlled either with msd or a megasquirt. What works is it possible to use a standard mech advance or vacuum. What about pertronix.
Basically need to solve
fuel
spark
and air

fuel needs regulators and boost reference most likely a boost line to the pump
timing i dont get what is needed
and carb needs to be slightly modified

am I missing anything
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
rubenski

Re: basic turbo setup

Post by rubenski »

Look at the cb blackbox. Controls timing under boost an load.
Better to be blown than to suck!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

would a webber progressive or a 34pict be better for a blow through application.
Travis
barefootskater1200

Post by barefootskater1200 »

I would (did) use a 34pitc. VERY easy to mod for boost and parts are cheap. lots of write ups (see clonebug's build, in the early stages anyway). And you'll NEED some kind of ignition controller if you want to run more than 7 or 8 psi.
the simple and cheap turbo thing is rad. i was into my car around $3k including the price of the car.

if you want to try something new (maybe, ive not seen it but always wanted to try) start off with the 34pict and once you know how they work a little better and have the hang of tuning them for boost, put on dual 34s. the dual 34 kit is cheaper than most single carbs and should be better for light boost since itll have the capacity for twice as much air flow. something to think about anyway. at least I'd like to see it done.

the dist is easy to lock or limit to around 22 or 24 degrees total. lots of write ups on that too. if youve got a 009 style dizzy its just a matter of popping out the cover and bending the stop tabs with a screwdriver.
do it do it do it. and post pics along the way.
this forum is great for advice. tons of friendly folks with tons of experience. have fun.
89 bhp and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

ok im still in research stages but the more i research the better it sounds. Ive seen a blow through on a progressive on a bug and ive seen quite alot on other cars i think it would be cool due to the small primary so better mpg. Still really trying to figure out the ignition controller like the 6al needs a btm but would the btm stand alone or does it require the 6al. How about the black box?
Travis
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Just my two cents from someone that's been there.
Get a MS-1 Ver 3.0 and use it for ignition control with a Crank fire sensor and direct fire coil.
You will have total ignition control plus logging whatever sensors you add and as a bonus you can upgrade to Fuel Injection when you get tired of messing with a carb.
By the time you buy a MSD and all the other bs with it you can just about pay for the MS system.

Carb blow through will probably work if you can keep from turning up the boost but I always wanted more power and could not stay at 6 lbs. I got the itch to crank the boost in less than two weeks.
I probably could have made the 34 Pict Blow through work if I spent another summer at it but I was over it and had all the parts for FI.
Once I fired up my FI I never looked back.

All my carb blow through stuff is still in my build with pics and all the mods I did. You can use whatever you want.
I sold all the carb parts awhile back and haven't heard much from the new owner.
I also sold my MS-1 Ver 2.2 with the EDIS and crank trigger to someone and haven't heard from him either. I don't know if he put it to good use. It worked well for me but I upgraded to MS-2 and a Ver 3.0 board with all the bells and whistles.
Some day I might go to MS-3.........;)
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

long run plan was to run ms but thats alot to do most likely a better idea though. Probably a better idea to just get all the parts then do it all at once
Travis