Vacuum take off's for BOV, Fuel pressure etc.

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
vwfreakster

Vacuum take off's for BOV, Fuel pressure etc.

Post by vwfreakster »

Hi

I'm just going through my 2276 FI turbo motor trying to iron out and check some rough running issues. Can anyone confirm that all vacuum ports for the MAP, fuel pressure, BOV and boost gauge should be taken from below the TB butterflies?, my wastegate is plumbed before the TB's. (Can the boost guage (Autometer 3304) before fed from the pressure hat?)

This is my motor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTrAo11ZE-Y

rubenski

Re: Vacuum take off's for BOV, Fuel pressure etc.

Post by rubenski »

My first tought would be below the tb's
My cb blackbox timing control with MAP sensor was connected at the bottom vac port on my dell 36.
Better to be blown than to suck!
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Blow Off Valve, Manifold Air Pressure, Fuel Pressure Regulator, and Boost Gauge are after the butterfly in the manifold. The Wastegate will be before the butterfly in the charge pipe.

Edit: When I was referring to the above items, I was referring to their vacuum lines, not the actual items. (i.e. Blowoff valve is mounted in the charge pipe after the turbo but before the TB butterfly, and the wastegate is mounted in the exhaust prior to the turbo.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

All of my reference ports are after the TB, including the wastegate, works well for me. I am not sure how much restriction is created in my intercooler but decided to reference after it to get full WG spring pressure.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

woodsbuggy1 wrote:All of my reference ports are after the TB, including the wastegate, works well for me. I am not sure how much restriction is created in my intercooler but decided to reference after it to get full WG spring pressure.
Kenric
After doing some research, it seems this is a great debate in multiple boost forums. Long story short, do what ever works. Seems referencing before or after will not blow your motor one way or another, but depending on piping and intercoolers, one way may create a little more lag than the other. So I guess just hook it up which ever way looks cleaner or is easier.

Just referencing this site for my source:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induct ... nswer.html
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Thanks for doing the research, I am far from being an expert in forced induction. I just did what made sense to me. I have trouble understanding how the WG reference point would have any effect on how the turbo spools but who knows, maybe the reference point does effect exhaust temp and velocity. Please understand I am not at all trying to start anything, just trying to understand different schools of thought. The one thing that I do know is that a boosted engine is much more fun than NA :D :D .
Kenric
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Haha, I wasn't questioning your setup or reasoning at all. Hell, I haven't even finished building my setup yet. I had no idea one way or another, and was just going by some google images that I saw. After reading a few threads, I have a better understanding, but it still seems there is great debate on which one is "correct". I'm just going to take the easy way out and reference from the turbo housing, because that's where the internal wastegate vac port is.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

No worries, I am not saying that I am right at all I just have a hard time believing that it matters much, thanks again for sharing I have lots to learn :D .
Kenric
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

My fpr has been on the vacuum side of the TB for 3 years without an issue.
I run the stock German Beetle FPR and that's how they were plumbed too.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Clonebug wrote:My fpr has been on the vacuum side of the TB for 3 years without an issue.
I run the stock German Beetle FPR and that's how they were plumbed too.
I have mine plumbed the same way. The only thing I have before my throttle body right now is the wastegate line.
vwfreakster

Post by vwfreakster »

Thanks for the comments all.
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

I tapped each intake at the base with a 3/8'' barbed fitting both sides. They are connected with a single 3/8" line off that line I feed everything except the WG. I get a very strong signal and it is correct every time.