a/f monitor

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
e_normus

a/f monitor

Post by e_normus »

looking to install afr gauge, don't know witch one to buy any preference, or opinions, ease of use/install
Clonebug

Re: a/f monitor

Post by Clonebug »

I have the Gen 3 version of this unit.
I am very pleased with it.

The Gen 4 is even on sale right now...

http://www.plxdevices.com/Wideband-O2-T ... 002719.htm

If the sensor cable isn't long enough it is easy enough to either lengthen the wires or else buy a couple mini molex connectors and built an extension.
I had to add a couple feet to mine the way I routed it from the engine to the dash.

I have a 4 ft. extension hanging in the garage that I didn't use since I had two of them made.

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
e_normus

Post by e_normus »

Clonebug wrote:I have the Gen 3 version of this unit.
I am very pleased with it.

The Gen 4 is even on sale right now...

http://www.plxdevices.com/Wideband-O2-T ... 002719.htm

If the sensor cable isn't long enough it is easy enough to either lengthen the wires or else buy a couple mini molex connectors and built an extension.
I had to add a couple feet to mine the way I routed it from the engine to the dash.

I have a 4 ft. extension hanging in the garage that I didn't use since I had two of them made.

where did you mount your sensor? I'm running turbo very mutch like yours when in the beginning
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Sensor is 6 inches from the turbo outlet.

Look carefully at the bend coming out of the turbo.....you can see it there.

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
e_normus

Post by e_normus »

in the instructions it says to be 24 " from turbo outlet so I was worried about that my pipe maybe 15 " long so I'm glad to see it will work in that location
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

It will be fine.

Just make sure you have a long enough pipe after the O2 sensor so it doesn't pick up any free outside air and give you false readings.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

e_normus wrote:in the instructions it says to be 24 " from turbo outlet so I was worried about that my pipe maybe 15 " long so I'm glad to see it will work in that location

A few OEM turbos have the O2 sensor bung built into the turbine housing.
Might want to run an extended bung at least if you go there.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Hey E, I see your in Michigan? If your close to me?
e_normus

Post by e_normus »

madmike wrote:Hey E, I see your in Michigan? If your close to me?
manton mi
madmike

Post by madmike »

Ok, to far ,lol,going to Lansing for the BBS?
e_normus

Post by e_normus »

planning on going if nothing comes up
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

I have the aem failsafe. Includes a boost/vac too. So 2 in 1

look it up. II'd say its a verry nice gauge and clear instructions and fair price.
Better to be blown than to suck!
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

The 24" rule applies to modern vehicles which typically have the turbo mounted as close to the valves as possible to conserve heat, the worry there is sensor overheating. VW engines already have a much longer exhaust system due to the flat engine configuration, so the 24" rule goes out the window. I try to place mine about 4-5" back from the turbine outlet flange, never had a problem. You lose so much heat through the primary tubes on this engine, you'll never overheat the sensor.