making boost but not accelerating

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Re: making boost but not accelerating

Post by advinnie »

Cheers mate thanks for letting me know how it's done:-)
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

So in my photo have I plumbed it up wrong?
I've just popped down to the garage to see the car but they have closed:-( so can't find out if they have fixed it
bazibbo

Post by bazibbo »

LOL - hard to tell from that angle - your FPR isn't a GT turbo one, looks like a malpassi one, but it should work in the same way. Does the T in that red pipe that passes just next to your coil, also link to the induction pipe between turbo and carb top? it certainly looks to be putting boost pressure into the carb via port D and the FPR, which look right to me.

I'm a little weary of being too absolute about this as I'm not over knowledgeable about this - but this side of the carb does look plumbed like the pics I found ( as long as the T goes into what would have been the 'lobster pot', turbo to carb pipe. )

Your dump valve is linked in AFTER the carb / throttle plate, which is correct - though I can't see how it joins into your carb manifold.

Grab a few different angle shots - there's plenty of clever people on here if you can show them what's happening.

I'll look forward to seeing how you get on at the garage tomorrow.

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I still can't post photos what's wrong with me I've done what you said it's the img tap I don't get?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

A quick Google search and yes your right it is a malpassi regulator.
 Does the T in that red pipe that passes just next to your coil, also link to the induction pipe between turbo and carb top? it certainly looks to be putting boost pressure into the carb via port D and the FPR, which look right to me.
No the red pipe connects to the two carb ports (D and the one they said blank in the photo) and then go to the fuel regulator witch I now think is wrong?
The only connection I have in the induction pipe between the turbo and then carb is the wastegate regulator pipe.
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Try T-ing the fpr into the pressure line you have coming from your compressor housing to your wastegate.

Don't forget to block off the existing feed you're using from the carb.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Will give it a go tomorrow.
I'm trying to figure out what port D us on the carb in the photo on page 3 and why you would link that port to the induction tube between the turbo and the carb? Will it act as a balance pipe?
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

advinnie wrote:Will give it a go tomorrow.
I'm trying to figure out what port D us on the carb in the photo on page 3 and why you would link that port to the induction tube between the turbo and the carb? Will it act as a balance pipe?
I think port D gives the float bowl a boost reference. This will help enrich the fuel mixture relative to the level of boost.
Boost forces more fuel out of the float bowl through the main jet.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

advinnie wrote:I still can't post photos what's wrong with me I've done what you said it's the img tap I don't get?
Your pics can only be 800X600 in size.

Set it up in your Account, settings, album, upload options......set it to upload all pics at 800X600.

That way everything is available to post.
Most forums will accept that size photo.

After that you select the pic you want to upload in whatever album you are viewing....click on it then go the the right side of screen and select the img line......single click on that...it should turn yellow and say copied....then go to your forum and right click, paste in the spot on the thread you are writing.
You should be good to go.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Dan Dryden wrote:
advinnie wrote:Will give it a go tomorrow.
I think port D gives the float bowl a boost reference. This will help enrich the fuel mixture relative to the level of boost.
Boost forces more fuel out of the float bowl through the main jet.
If that tube does go to the float bowl then yes, you want to reference it to the boost. It is probably an external vent which needs to be hooked to the boost pipe to get filtered air to it whether boosted or non boosted.

That was the single biggest change to my carb blow through that showed positive results. I only ran it a couple times since the increase in power caused my clutch to slip and I then found that crack in the case.

I messed with it some more with the new 1679cc engine but I was working long hours and I ended up swapping to EFI after the next summer. It always was a compromise it seemed.

That's been too long ago and I've probably forgotten most of what I tried except for what I wrote in my build.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Sorry I was just having a go at uploading photos and ive figured out how to do it at last :-)
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You got it!!!!

Now take lots of pics and post them.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Sorry I've not posted lately been having fun on the bug and yes its all working and there was two issues in the end. First the regulator set it up to 4psi and it would follow boost but once it got warm it would drop the pressure to zero so replaced that and all was good till about 8 psi boost then it started playing around a little but I have now removed the BOV but at 8 psi or when the engine started playing around we could clearly hear the sound nose the BOV would make when it went of but it was no long there so we played around and guess what it was the bloody boots on the inlet manifold blowing ha ha ha any way it seems to be all good at the moment plus I have now connected the auxiliary pump port to boost pressure witch has made a world of difference but I still have one thing I want to know and that is there is a port on the opposite side of the carb from the auxiliary pump witch gives out boost pressure but I'm not sure if I should plug this or not? I will send a photo in a minute of it
advinnie

Post by advinnie »