Turbo in Closed Engine Bay

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
madmike

Re: Turbo in Closed Engine Bay

Post by madmike »

Yep Boost is super addicting :lol:
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Clonebug wrote:It's all going to depend on what boost level you desire.

6 lbs. is easy but it gets old really quick. The biggest problem with boost is the addiction factor and if 6 lbs is good, 10 lbs is better and ....hmmmmm...wonder what would happen if I cranked it to 12 lbs.......holy crap!!!!....It's really starting to pull hard now!!!...what would 15...17...20....lbs do?????..... maybe I can build a WI system and crank it some more......Wonder what I need to do to get it to 22 lbs....and on and on....... :roll:

I've been there and still dealing with it..... :oops: :?
Nailed it!
Last edited by rubenski on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better to be blown than to suck!
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

My last dyno pull was at 25 psi -- -- but my static compression is in the 7:1 range -- I remember one pull the Baron did at 35+ psi, HP broke just into the 4 digit range
madmike

Post by madmike »

1000HP :shock: unfuckingbeliveable for a VW configuration motor :lol: :lol: :lol:
AWESOME 8) 8) 8) would luv to see 'the "Baron" run
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

I wrestled with where to put the turbo in my car (67 beetle) for while. I wanted the car to stay as cool as possible so that I would not hesitate to hop in it and just drive without worrying about too much heat.

So I went for a CB hideaway header. Don't know if they have it for a thing or not? I wanted to keep as much heat out of the engine bay as possible. I have all german tin, almost all rubber seals and I pipe my turbo intake up towards the air coming in through the air vents. I have no intercooler but I do have a plugged hole in my intake for water/meth injection when I begin cranking up the boost. It was a lot of work to stuff everything under the engine compartment but it all barely fits! I'm quite happy with it and have not had a single thought that "I wish I would have put my turbo and other hot turbo related elements in the engine bay"... Until it comes to gettin at things to work on it :shock:

Regardless, IMHO, the less heat in the engine compartment to be sucked in by the cooling fan the better. Of course, having a turbo in the engine bay is not necessarily the main producer of unwanted heat. Things like State of tune, turbo sizing (and efficiency), choice of OG or aftermarket tin, compression ratio and so on affect heat production to one degree or another. These are all things to consider as well, making sure they are considered just as much as where the turbo is located.
yellow73kubel

Post by yellow73kubel »

It's been a nice Thanksgiving break but I haven't been home to put any thought towards the car...

Clonebug: I'm quite familiar with the boost addiction. My dad's 944 Turbo got me started in it. Gutless up to 3500 RPM then goes like stink... Ever since then, it's been the dream to have a car that behaves like that for the sheer fun of it. I don't plan to do that with the Thing since the chassis isn't up to it, this is more of a stepping stone to bigger engine designs and some other fun car. I'm thinking start at 8psi and maybe work my way up to 12psi. I have an MS2 that I'll be installing eventually for management and future FI plans.

slowsixtyduece: to your point about those details - I'm sticking with stock compression pistons, stock tin, and sensors to monitor the engine (wideband, CHT, oil temp). For now at least... Out of curiosity, would you be able to measure how far back the turbo flange is from the nearest exhaust flange on your hideaway header?

[edit] The pictures of the sidewinder header here: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/A-1-Sidewi ... 12-158.htm show how little room I'm working with back there. I think that header with the turbo somewhere next to the right side of the engine would still allow room for a small muffler and for the intake plumbing to run to the breast plate.
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

here's a hater maker dyno run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abcgd_2H5T0