SOLD - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
woodsbuggy1

Re: NEW plan - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

I have used stock valve covers for 3 years with no problems on my 1776 turbo motor. How do you have the case vented?
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Stock valve covers and bales for me....No leaks unless I don't seat them well.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

Clonebug wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:30 pm Stock valve covers and bales for me....No leaks unless I don't seat them well.
Hmm, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. And yes, vented out the wazzoo... although I think I could do with more somehow. I looked at a 912 breather can the other day and it's got a massive throat/filter on top of it.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

All my venting problems were caused by cracked pistons....Once I replaced my P/C's I have not had any issue with venting or breathers again.
I use the stock breather and I put a V-8 valve cover filter on the top with a Tee below going to a homemade road draft tube.
No oil anywhere.........

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

CB, you suck. I have new P/Cs and it's still leaking. :(

In other news, my brake pedal feels like sponge cake. So up on jackstands and angry family members pumping the brake pedal for me. My wife is the best at it, but she hates it more than her sinus problems. Fun times! :D :(
petew

Post by petew »

Well, good news is, brakes are all bled up again. Had my 14yo daughter help me. Then showed her how the brake system worked and had her put the wheels back on with me. She's pretty great. Told my wife it was, "fun". Wife groaned. :D
petew

Post by petew »

Just ducked out to the local shops in the beetle to pay a few bills. So I'll stop whining about it. Sure, the idle motor is mucking up and the WB drops out as it drips oil everywhere. But it is fun. And no sooner had I parked at the shops than an old guy in a wheelchair accosted me and told me copious VW tails before I could get to the post office. Hilarious. :D

P.s. and Clonebug, I'm sorry. You don't suck. I was just being obnoxious. :|
panel

Post by panel »

petew wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:25 pmSo up on jackstands and angry family members pumping the brake pedal for me.
There's lots of vids out there but you get the idea.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfTmlOZbXgs[/BBvideo]
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I have stock covers and bails. 7500rpm, .570" lift, 20+ psi boost. One has a vent in it to be used as a drain for my breather box, my breather has a huge -12AN single connection coming off of the alternator stand, and then just the drain to the valve cover.
petew

Post by petew »

Yeah, cheers guys. I've actually found bleeding like that tends to leave small amounts of air in there. Have someone pump it up hard, while I bleed manually totally gets rid of the air.

Thanks Chip. I think I've got another leak around the deep sump and maybe the stock valve covers too. Failing that, it's rings, which is not terrible, but I'd rather it's not. :(
petew

Post by petew »

Had the car out yesterday, going off to a mate with a slightly delicate situation. What I noticed is the car is fine under a healthy dose of throttle but slightly jerky under light, part throttle. Ie. when you just roll into a little at low revs. I wondered what this is. A fuel thing or an ignition thing? Too much advance?

PDsupgrades Ignition draft 2.jpg

Here's my ignition table. Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I had the same thing.

Make absolute sure you have no vacuum leaks with the intake below the throttle body. If no leaks then highlight the cruise area you are having an issue with and just bump up those bins a degree of advance at a time or lower them till it goes away. You are pretty good on advance already so if up or down 3 degrees doesn't either way doesn't cure it then you might want to also bump up the fuel bins a little at a time to see if it goes away.
I'm quite sure mine disappeared once I found my intake boots were an 1/8 inch too big and I replaced them with the correct size.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

petew wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:01 pm ...but slightly jerky under light, part throttle. Ie. when you just roll into a little at low revs. I wondered what this is. ...
I had the same dang issue. Drove like that for a bit trying to find the issue. I just gave up and tried to revert to a previous tune, which solved my problem. Still never figured out what it was, but I assume I just messed with the startup and fuel enrichment too much one way or another.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
panel

Post by panel »

Pete , when you're logging and you get the "slight jerk under light, part throttle. Ie. when you just roll into a little at low revs"......hit the space bar and that will throw a red line across the log right where it happened. Then show us the pic later here and we can take a look at it.
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
petew

Post by petew »

Good thinking. But what if I'm the "slight jerk"? Oh, hang on, I'm the big jerk. :D