SOLD - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: NEW plan - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

Post by Clonebug »

petew wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:28 pm Guys need some advice re airfilters. My turbo guru is wondering whether my oiled-foam filter is causing too much vacuum and that's sucking oil out of the compressor seal.

Also wondering about venting my fuel tank. Have looked all over the car to try and sort out the fuel smell, all the lines look tight. The smell always comes after boost.
Run it without a filter for a few miles if it isn't dusty out.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

MarioVelotta wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:28 pm Petew, my clt temp sensor is NOT meant to be a CHT temp sensor, only for a warmup cylce and hot restarts. Temps over 260F will be skewed.
Cheers. Well the motor never usually gets warmer than that anyway. :)
petew

Post by petew »

So, without any better solutions to my oil/intake/turbo issues, I took the car out to Precision Turbos at Wetheril Pk so the expert there could have a look. Man, what nice guy. Had a look, gave me a stack of good advice, charged me nothing.

The short story is, the oil still probably isn't draining properly. The drain tank is too far away from the turbo. The oil doesn't drop directly into it. And the pump might be effected by this. So time for drain tank v2.0.

On the way there and back, I took the opportunity to Autotune. It was pouring rain, but even still a good basis for street cruising with gentle throttle. So between idle and about 3500 revs, the tune is a lot better. I can feel it already. I purposely stayed out of boost until I can fix the situation with the oil drain. What I'm wondering about is the idle bins in the fuel table. I locked them out during autotune.
idle bins 30.3.17.jpg
I noticed when I got home that although they're the right numbers for decent idle AFRs, they seem a lot leaner than the bins around them. Should I bump them up a little?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

There is no engine load in the idle area so I wouldn't mess with them right now.
Give it some time on autotune and after it cleans up a bit then you can go and smooth out the map while looking at it in 3D.
That's what I usually do.

My engine likes to idle at 12.8:1 AFR.....don't ask me why....but it just does.
There are a few others that seem to have theirs set at about the same at idle.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

I'm going to put the new oil tank in this spot right under the turbo.

IMG20170309191039.jpg

The new tank is much smaller. About 2/3s the size of the last one I built. I went fishing in my offcuts box to make up a new tank. I found this and I think it'll be the basis.

oil drain tank v2.0.jpg

The angle cut will be at the bottom of the tank and allow for the oil to pool properly and be evacuated easily.

In other 'non-turbo' news, I finally got my new seat 'upholstered'. :lol: A couple of press studs, some velcro and a yoga matt. Lot's more comfy than before. The base is all painted the same colour as the rest of the interior parts.

IMG20170330215841.jpg
IMG20170330215850.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Is your turbo drain straight down out of the turbo????
If not it should be. You might need to rotate the CHRA......
Can you get a good pic of it from the bottom so I can see how it sits in relation to the car????

Oh.....and how are you posting pics??? Did they get it fixed???
petew

Post by petew »

I've had an ongoing issue with the turbo drain. It runs into the header. I've tried a few things to sort that. Additionally, the cassette can't be rotated to point 100% down. The best I can do is 25deg from the vertical due to issues with the wastegate. But yeah, I'm going to change the drain pipe so it points down more.

Re pics...

This "Attachments" tab allows you to upload them and place them in line. I can't link them from photobucket at the mo, but this works.

attachments STF.jpg
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Ah, so the 3 attachment per post limit has been raised, cool.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Pete - since you're so limited on space next to the turbo, how about fitting a "sump" to your oil collection tank off one end where more vertical space looks to be available? Then run your suction line to the bottom of the sump? Make the sump a larger volume/diameter (or height) than the oil tank.

Not sure how the drain is affixed to the turbo housing, but if you could fit a metal elbow (45 deg?) in there coming right off the housing it might help the drain situation - pointing it more to where you want it to go? ALA it's going down hill should do the trick (and at least 5/8" diameter).
Jeff
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

GS guy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:11 pm Pete - since you're so limited on space next to the turbo, how about fitting a "sump" to your oil collection tank off one end where more vertical space looks to be available? Then run your suction line to the bottom of the sump? Make the sump a larger volume/diameter (or height) than the oil tank.

Not sure how the drain is affixed to the turbo housing, but if you could fit a metal elbow (45 deg?) in there coming right off the housing it might help the drain situation - pointing it more to where you want it to go? ALA it's going down hill should do the trick (and at least 5/8" diameter).
Jeff
I think the sump is exactly what he has done, or are you talking about something else?
petew

Post by petew »

GS guy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:11 pm Pete - since you're so limited on space next to the turbo, how about fitting a "sump" to your oil collection tank off one end where more vertical space looks to be available? Then run your suction line to the bottom of the sump? Make the sump a larger volume/diameter (or height) than the oil tank.

Jeff
Here's one I prepared earlier. :lol: It's a copy of what the porsche 930 guys are doing.

IMG20170313182849.jpg

Unfortunately, it's not close enough to drain the turbo properly. I actually had a 45deg elbow on there before. It didn't help either. I need to swing the oil outlet round a little.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Venting it to atm or the case?
The case may have too much backpressure, common reason OEM engines turbos start "oiling" and get replaced... Its not the turbo.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
petew

Post by petew »

Drain tank is venting to the atm ATM. :lol: The case pressure is all good since the engine builder sorted out the ring gaps (cyl 4 ring gaps were lined up).
petew

Post by petew »

I've been driving the car but staying out of boost. Which is ok, coz looking so retro, people expect it to just "pootle" around with no power. On the weekend though, I was reminded why I love my MS setup sooooo much. A very good friend invited me out to do a motorkhana in his buggy.
IMG20170401105401.jpg
Stock 1600 with points and a dizzy. Oh man. What a disaster. It was misfiring all day. It got better after we cleaned and regapped the points, but even then the ignition was iffy.
IMG20170401114017.jpg
In the usual case of the blind leading the blind, my friend managed to drop the points screw into the motor somewhere. Lucky the cap clamp screw is identical. So the clamp is held on by zipties now. We also spend the day fighting a slipping clutch.

Suffice to say, can't wait till I get mine going properly.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Chip Birks wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:16 pm

Jeff
I think the sump is exactly what he has done, or are you talking about something else?
Yea - I was thinking of a sump, for the "sump". :shock: Just some extra volume giving the foamy oil someplace to easily go coming out of the turbo. I realize the "sump" Pete already installed should have done that - still mystified why it didn't work? I think I read somewhere ( :roll: ) ALA the drain is 45 degrees or less from straight down it should drain OK?

Possibly the vent on the sump is providing an easier draw for the scavenge pump than the actual oil in the sump? A vent line restrictor? I donno....

Man, sure don't like the new forum formatting bugs! It's like my Deserter on jack stands!