Amr500 on 1641cc ! dyno p23

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Alexios

Re: Amr500 on 1641cc ! On the road again!

Post by Alexios »

Hi Ruben

I don´t think it is the supercharger/boost that brought this issues to the surface. Most likely you had an issue with the valves from before. For sure though running N/A and having 60Hp would most likely take longer to bring this issue to the surface.

Fix the heads and get back at it!

Alex
rubenski wrote:Oh boy.... my builder did a compression test yesterday... seems like there is a problem with the heads....

The engine was giving lots of backfires so thats why the compression test.

The cil 1 & 2 leaked bad.

Now the engine has to come out... again.....

He thinks the valve guides came loose.

Oh boy.... why did i ever put a blower on it....

Going to his shop on monday to start removing the engine and save labour costs....
Alexios

Re: Amr500 on 1641cc !

Post by Alexios »

For the level of power you are producing, you don´t need any special parts in order to last. If you have a healthy engine to start with, control over the AFR and timing, and a rev-limiter set at 5000-5500 rpm you are good to go.
My theory with the issues you had with the valves is that you have been using stock springs but running the engine at higher rpm that a stock engine. I think stock spring start floating the valve right around 5000rpm. I think you already had some damage from before adding the supercharger. HD springs are a must with anything bigger than the stock carb. The added breathing makes it way to easy to shoot past 45rpm:) The supercharger makes it even easier:)

I run HD springs and 5500 rpm limit on the street and raise the limit to 6000rpm at the track.

Are you running a stock crank or with counterweights? I run a stock one but balanced.

Alex

rubenski wrote:Yeah, verry frustrating.

But i have to keep in mind that when i build the engine 5000km ago, it was not build to be forced inducted But just normally aspirated...

Supercharged or turbo engines need other clearences and special parts to make 'em last....
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

there are coming hd springs on it like you say and I've ordered a cylinder head temperature gauge.

so then hopefully I got everything covered to get this blown engine to work.
If we still have problems when we build it all back, the blower will be ditched.
With the house now being build and stuff like that the funds are shrinking pretty fast... not to mention the wife and her complaints ...
Better to be blown than to suck!
Udo Airbus

Post by Udo Airbus »

Bad news about the heads..

I never had any problems with the(almost) stock 1600 + amr500.. maybe too much psi? :D
VW T1 1964 - Mouse Grey - Pearl White OG paint

Bagged, Porsche steeringrack/brakes..IRS, 1915cc
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Haha, 10psi aint that much. ..
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Last part of this week not much changed, havent heard my builder, guess he's on it.

I did ordered a cylinderhead temperature gauge.

Still looking for a air charge temperature sensor. I would like to know when i'm touching the red zone...
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Lots and lots of bad news....

The blower is going back on the shelf or maybe for sale. I dont know....

The heads got looked at and we found the problem and what caused it.
We had to back track how it occured:

The main problem was the valve springs. They appeared to be not strong enough.
What followed --> valves never closed since we mounted the small blower pulley.
So the heads always got to hot. Much to hot.

Since the blower pressure was bigger than the valve pressure there were opposite forces on the camshaft.

We measured it out yesterday and there is more than 0.5mm play. Over the whole cam front to back so all the bearings are worn out.
Meaning the cas has to be opened again..... pffffff

I've really had it now. Tired of messing with the blower and having no seat time.

I know the bearings are like 20 $ and my builder wont charge me for opening the case again. We'll do it together. And some stronger springs dont cost that much either but its just that i'm out of motivation.

So we gonna redo the case and just mount my dual carbs back on.

Like mentioned before i cant spend much on the veebub now since we got a big loan for the house we're building.

Maybe it goes on the shelf and in a few years i'll give it another try....
petew

Post by petew »

Oh man. I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

Look, why not just rebuild it and put the larger pulley back on. It worked well enough with that and that will allow you to enjoy it till you want to stuff around with more boost later on. There's nothing worse than having a car just sit there. Get it working and drive it. A set of bearings and valve springs are a small price to pay in some ways. At least the whole motor isn't torched. :)
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

what springs did you have? stock or HD? is your head cut for duals or not?

shame buddy :( i know the feeling!!
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

There were stronger than stock springs in it. My builder has a device that gives the tension. They gave 80kg force.
Still that wasnt enough.

What do you mean cut for duals?

When we rebuild it we'll place the stronger springs so when the time is right for it i can put the blower back.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

where the springs go, to fit duals they cut down the OD of the guide boss...you can get some pretty decent single springs though, i use a special type of single spring on my webcam 86b.... only about £40 a set from stateside tuning too

could put it NA for a while to get some miles on it to enjoy it a bit again like you say, fixing it all the time is a drag! i know that!!
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Exactly, thats the plan. I'll fix it for now and put the stronger springs in. Even for the NA.

When i got the time and funds again i will mount the blower back.

Unless someone offers me enough money to take it from my shelf.
petew

Post by petew »

Why not just put the larger pulley back on with the blower? You've done 99% of the work. It was only the smaller pulley that messed things up for you.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Yeah but then i got to find another belt that matches in lenght.

Also the pulley is a 4-rib belt and doesnt come in the lenght that i need to route it like on the small pulley.

Anyway, we'll start with rebuilding the engine and see where we end up.

I'll keep you guys posted!
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Got the case opened today, some more bad news.

The seats for the cam bearings are worn out.

They were (with the case still closed and torqued) hanging loose in their seats.

So now we have to get somekind of bigger bearings and cut the cam.

Some new lifters too cause 6 out of 8 are showing wear because of the bad allignment of the cam.

Going to clear parts and case tommorow.

I'm having some tought on 1.25 ratio rockers. In combination with a engle w110.

Any toughts on that? To kind of make up for the loss of the blower for the meanwhile...
(Not expecting a world off difference like the blower but some more umpfff!)

Ruben