Turbo, F.I. Bus engine build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
loVol

Re: Turbo, F.I. Bus engine build

Post by loVol »

Cheers, I'm usually pretty crap at documenting my progress! This time I'm trying to keep the camera close as usually I get to the end of the day and I have forgotten to take any pics!

Had a look at your build link, looks like our engines will be quite similar, when mine finally gets finished :lol:

So had another day on it. When I got there my engine builder had mocked up all the barrels and put the bare heads on to check fitting. We tried the exhaust as it hadn't even been out of it's wrapping yet. It all fit very well except the lower studs for the header where too long, but CB had supplied shorter ones so those were installed. As well as machining a few mm off the nuts so they're easier to get on. This would've made some good pics, but my camera was in my bag :roll:

I continued stripping the case back down so we could get the rotating parts off to the balancers. I cut the oil pick up to the right length, and on an angle. Then de-burred a few bits inside where there had been some machining for the piston and crank clearance. (No pics, hopefully I remember next time)

Here are the finished barrels, all cut to length.

Random pic of my pistons, just cause they're one of my favourite parts!

The heads got a bit more work. Some of the webbing through them were almost covered or in some parts completely blocked. We used a long dril bit to open them up again. Couldn't get a good shot, this is part way through, I'll try again with a finished one to see if I can get a better shot of it.

The pulley went on the lathe so I can now run a sand seal.

Now we have to get rotating stuff to the balancers. Got to sort out a bit of plumbing next, need a few holes in the heads before putting them back together finally.
Got to hurry now as we only have a month to go before my engine builder goes off to Australia!
petew

Post by petew »

Have you taught him to walk upsidedown yet? :P

Looking good.
loVol

Post by loVol »

Bit of plumbing work done. Had to put a few holes in things before putting it together. Put some drains in each head down into the sump and some for the breather system.

Two will go in each head

And one in each side of the case

They will go through in between these webs on the inside

Last edited by loVol on Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
loVol

Post by loVol »

So we got to play with one of the CNC machines!

Clamped in to do the drain hole.

We set a programme to skim a flat surface, then a smaller diametre, shallower circle for the o-ring on the bung to sit into. On the first go we didn't have that and the o-ring would squash out a bit. Last bit was a hole which we then tapped by hand.

Action shots!!!

A pic of the hole would've explained it a bit better, but we must've got a bit excited, here's one with the bungs already in.

Last edited by loVol on Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
loVol

Post by loVol »

Then it was the case halves turn.

loVol

Post by loVol »

With the drain holes done we altered the same programme to do some slightly smaller holes. We had used -10 for the drains and are using -8 for the breathers.

These were a bit tricky, but after using the forklift to bring in a 150kg clamp and a block of wood, we could get the right angle!

loVol

Post by loVol »

Seeing as the programme was already set, we put one in the alternator stand too.

We then took a bit off the bungs where they came through the heads.

While we were at the lathe we took a bit of my pulley nut cover. I had bought this to go with the pulley set I was going to use, but the plan changed a bit and I didn't end up getting those pulleys. So I was left with this nut cover that didn't fit on my pulley properly. It covered up the holes on the pulley so we machined it down. So now it fits and doesn't cover the holes.

Pointless really :lol:

So this is the heads finished, with both bungs in and the valve cover on clearing the bungs - just!

And finally some good news, the straight cut gears are finally here! Rotating stuff can be balanced now, then it's time to finally build the block.

More next weekend, Daniel
loVol

Post by loVol »

petew wrote:Have you taught him to walk upsidedown yet? :P

Looking good.
:lol: He's had a bit of practice, we're just over in NZ. He hates the cold so is off to somewhere warm just above Brisbane, chasing a lady!
He leaves on the 23rd of this month, so we are in a bit of a hurry now!
loVol

Post by loVol »

Ok, so got a bit head of myself saying the parts had arrived. Technically they were in the country, but customs and shipping held them up a few days. They arrived yesterday so I was finally able to pick them up.

The unobtainium part:

I drove the 280km round trip last night to drop them off. My engine builder met me at the workshop and fit the gear on, ready to take to the balancers this morning - hoping he had time to do it today!
Just got a message saying that with a bit of begging & pleading he said it'll be ready this afternoon! So at least the trip was worth it!

This weekend is the last weekend we have in the workshop, so we have really left it to the last minute. Didn't think it would be like this when I ordered the cam gear back in May :roll:
loVol

Post by loVol »

Long day, up at 5.30 so I could be at the workshop by 7.30

The balancer had got my parts done on Friday, so we were all set to start assembly

The pressure plate only needed a small skim.

The flywheel was about 6gms out so needed a few holes.

The crank & pulley were bang on, and the rods only needed a little off. All matched to the lightest one, bottom right.

First bits to go in, crank and cam. Before anything was put in it got a good clean and blasted with the air gun.

Cam gear finally in!

Case halves together.

loVol

Post by loVol »

After checking everything rotated as it should, the builder put the rods on while I put the studs in.

Got the heads together with the valves in and a last clean.

Weighed the pistons/hardware and they all came in at 519gms +/- 0.2gms - close enough!

I put the deep sump on properly, along with the flash sump plate.

loVol

Post by loVol »

The engine builder loaded up the pistons with their rings and put them into the cylinders

Once the pistons/cylinders on one side were done was able to put the head on. This is where a little problem came up. I did the first torque, no problem. Then while doing the final torque we heard a weird noise, an odd click. We checked if it still turned over, it got to a point and locked up!

So we undid the heads and tried again. It turned again. So we did the other side, nothing until the last torque, then the same noise again.

So we pulled them all off again and found the lower edge of the skirt of the cylinder was just touching the rod! But not on the one cylinder that we had used for setting the CR back in the initial build.
So back they went on the lathe and 2mm taken off the bottom.

So with that crisis sorted we put the pistons/cylinders and heads on and torqued them down - no clicks and it turned over fine!

loVol

Post by loVol »

Next I got to put in the pushrod tubes. This pic also shows the how the head drain will work too.

Got the oil pump on.

Next I had my first go a shimming the rockers. Came out great, only had one shim left though. My engine builder cut the pushrods to length on the lathe.

Finally we put the last oil plugs and cover on the block, then added the rocker covers.

Done!

This was at 7.30, so took a full 12 hour session (with a couple of breaks) to go from a stack of parts to a complete block.

And finally, I was able to take it home.

Just tripled the value of my car, and quadrupled the power! :lol:
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Serious building session there!! Nice one!
loVol

Post by loVol »

Had to clean the garage over the weekend, but got a bit distracted - kept finding stuff that I had to try out :lol:

I hadn’t put the turbo on ever, had been told it would clear the pulley, had just never checked for myself. There usually isn’t much room anyway and the fatter pulley means there’s even less. If I had gone with anything bigger it might not fit.

I was hoping to figure out a way to reshape the engine tin so it would go between the pulley and turbo housing to seal it off, but no room. The instructions show how you have to cut the tins to bits anyway, so will figure out something else.

One thought was to make a 10mm spacer to go where the turbo mounts to the exhaust. But not sure if that can be done and it would make the turbo sit even closer to the valance on the other side - which will also need a bit of clearancing. That theory will just have to wait till I can put the engine in to see if there’s any room.

And the exhaust pipe…

Might be a bit loud! :lol: