200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Dan Dryden

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Post by Dan Dryden »

Any updates for us Wally? :D
brewsy

Post by brewsy »

Sorry, I'm a lurker :roll: so dont think I should be poking a 'maker' like you Wally but there are tons of people waiting to see and hear this awesome little 1200 machine roar into life... :lol:

Please put us out of our misery!!

On another note, Dan Dryden ex of The Mill?? never knew you were into Beetles mate. This is Brewster now in NYCB :P
Wally

Post by Wally »

Cheers fellas,

Unfortunately I just found out last week that the engine had such low dynamic compression that it would start. Not sure if it was the hot camshaft in combination with the already low compression that caused that of too much honing the barrels?
Anyways, with the short time remaining I decided to take this on pragmatic and have the heads fly-cut some more to gain more conpression.
Heads are done end of this week and then I'll surely need some reassembling time before I can try again.

Fingers crossed,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Oh bummer, did you check compression while cranking? How low was it?
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
70dragbug

Post by 70dragbug »

Last years cam was even hotter wasn 't it? Maybe too much lift (ratio rockers) and the airspeed just collapses? Flycutting the heads should help or install smaller rockers? Hope you get it sorted out mate! Must be a real pain removing all that plumbing.....I feel for ya;)

Mark
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

That sucks Wally. :(
I hope the re-assembly isn't too much of a PITA.
brewsy wrote:On another note, Dan Dryden ex of The Mill?? never knew you were into Beetles mate. This is Brewster now in NYCB :P
Hey, sorry Brewster I think you got the wrong Dan Dryden. Welcome to the forum though. :)
brewsy

Post by brewsy »

Wally?
Wally

Post by Wally »

It finally runs after installing a new set of AA piston and cylinders (the only quick solution and fingers crossed they hold). Considering I am using 60lbs injectors and K8 kinda cam on a 1192cc engine, it runs sort-of ok-ish at idle at this first time it has warmed up its 7 liters of oil.

About time too, as next week this time its on route to a WOT pass at an airfield in England.

T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
juki48

Post by juki48 »

awesome. would love too hear a little more rpm's! I've been considering a similar intercooler placement on my ghia, sort of a duck tail intercooler/spoiler.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Sounds smooth mate!
Enjoy the trip to the uk, hope the weather holds for you!
Wally

Post by Wally »

andy198712 wrote:Sounds smooth mate!
Cheers Andy. With the header fully bolted on afterwards, it was a lot quieter still :lol:

Last friday just before the EL2K13 weekend, I made the maiden testdrive and pushed untill the first wastegate openend (0.7 bar). The boost pressure rose very smoothly further to about 1.1 bar or 16 psi from the second turbo and then the engine seized... :(
I gambled for time reasons and installed a stock AA 1200 cc piston set. I just hadn't time to have the barrels clearenced properly for tuning use and it bit me hard. Engine dissection will tell if that was really the main reason but it sure sounded and felt like that. Its all in the game though, so I'll take my loss

So it meant I couldn't run at Elvington myself, but we went anyways with my DD and were very motivated to come back with a strong engine in the next year(s).
This also means I will abandon the 1200 Challenge and this engine (type 1) set-up. Decided to build-up a type 4 turbo again from parts I already have, sell the type 1 parts and see if I can enter the Speed trials next year.
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Wally wrote:
Decided to build-up a type 4 turbo again from parts I already have, sell the type 1 parts and see if I can enter the Speed trials next year.
Ahh.. FINALLY! Back to business and stop playing around with those mouse engines. They are just a waste of time and money.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................... coming from the guy with a 1641ccm :lol:

-BB-
Wally

Post by Wally »

Yeah, I'am afraid so Kalle. It was great fun and a good (learning) experience, but eventually not very fun to drive tbh: my Porsche G50 gearbox is really not intended for the very low sub 3K torque of a 1,2ltr engine with a turbo cam and I really want to DRIVE again.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Wally wrote:
Cheers Andy. With the header fully bolted on afterwards, it was a lot quieter still :lol:

Last friday just before the EL2K13 weekend, I made the maiden testdrive and pushed untill the first wastegate openend (0.7 bar). The boost pressure rose very smoothly further to about 1.1 bar or 16 psi from the second turbo and then the engine seized... :(
I gambled for time reasons and installed a stock AA 1200 cc piston set. I just hadn't time to have the barrels clearenced properly for tuning use and it bit me hard. Engine dissection will tell if that was really the main reason but it sure sounded and felt like that. Its all in the game though, so I'll take my loss

So it meant I couldn't run at Elvington myself, but we went anyways with my DD and were very motivated to come back with a strong engine in the next year(s).
This also means I will abandon the 1200 Challenge and this engine (type 1) set-up. Decided to build-up a type 4 turbo again from parts I already have, sell the type 1 parts and see if I can enter the Speed trials next year.
thats a pisser mate! but as you say, thats part of it!
best of luck with the T4 turbo! will keep an eye on that thread, i'll keep an eye on your for sale thread too when it comes up 8)
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I got Burly's email today and was heartbroken to hear about your engine mishap. Sad to see that happen!
Good luck on the new venture! I can't wait to see what you come up with next!