Daily driven aircooled turbos... who's done it?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Vee Dub Nut

Re: Daily driven aircooled turbos... who's done it?

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

You guys convinced me... gonna keep plugging away at the turbo build.

If I end up needing to daily the car, I will do so with the turbo motor (albeit, probably back off the boost).
56speedster

Post by 56speedster »

56speedster wrote:Should also give me a chance to try out the heated seat cushion that plugs into the 12v socket. Who knows; I may be driving the Speedster all winter. :mrgreen:
For the record - at 24 degrees, the 12v plug-in heated seat pad is useless. Should have just chewed on a couple of red hots. :mrgreen:
kuleinc

Post by kuleinc »

ugh, now you guys got me thinking, turbo for the baywindow westy...

What kind of head temps are you guys seeing? What kind of CHT gauge are you using?
1995 BMW 318ti with M3 Motor (Mine)
1994 BMW 325i Sedan (Hers)
1968 Baywindow Camper (Parts Bus)
1971 Westy Baywindow (EFI project...)
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=137593
56speedster

Post by 56speedster »

350ish head temps on the Dakota Digital when I'm pushing it in the higher gears.
kuleinc

Post by kuleinc »

My 1600DP in my baywindow must not be tuned right... I'm hitting 400 at 55MPH, no way can I add a turbo to that. I HAVE to finish my EFI install...
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

A 1600 in a Bus of any type is pushing a heavy load, why are you surprised it's at 400?
kuleinc

Post by kuleinc »

It seems awfully high, don't higher head temps = shorter head life? I am surprised its 400 because I used to have a beetle, and you turbo beetle guys are like "380, if I push it!". I don't believe cruising on flats at 55 in a bay window is "pushing it", I used to (before I had a gauge, when I first got a bus) drive it at 65 MPH, only God knows how hot my heads were, poor things...
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Vee Dub Nut wrote: If driven reasonably both options may likely be feasible. I'm not looking for 100k miles from an engine or anything, but I wouldn't want to be fighting the car all the time just to drive it daily for a year or so. I guess if built well, while keeping the boost at milder levels and driving accordingly, it shouldn't be all bad huh?
I do it all the time. :wink:
with an average of 5000 miles per year. mine is a draw though 2276 engine. I use my car to go to work, to pick up my son at school, I drive it to the races, 5 drag races each year. If i can do that with a speed demon, you can too. :wink:
2276cc daily draw though
ET: 11.67
MPH: 119.64
kuleinc

Post by kuleinc »

How often are u fixing it? How much did the motor and trans build cost?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

kuleinc wrote:How often are u fixing it? How much did the motor and trans build cost?
It can generally be said that the more you spend while building, the more will save you in the long run on down time and maint. Build a trans that can take the power you intend to make. Same goes with the engine. If you want to make a lot of power reliably, its gonna take money. Best thing to do is come up with a plan, set realistic goals and then build what it takes to get where you want to. Any time you deviate from the plan, the price goes up. Especially if you already have parts for the current plan.
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

kuleinc wrote:It seems awfully high, don't higher head temps = shorter head life? I am surprised its 400 because I used to have a beetle, and you turbo beetle guys are like "380, if I push it!". I don't believe cruising on flats at 55 in a bay window is "pushing it", I used to (before I had a gauge, when I first got a bus) drive it at 65 MPH, only God knows how hot my heads were, poor things...

Only way to know for sure is ask the engine: install a TPS, see what it says. I promise a 1600 is at a higher throttle position than a larger engine would be, so it's working harder to maintain the same speed all else being equal. It's all about aerodynamics; when you're talking Bus there is none, and it only gets worse the faster you go. A Bus generally has poor cooling capability anyway, I always hear about supplementry vents people install to get extra cooling air to the engine. Maybe try those if you haven't already?
kuleinc

Post by kuleinc »

Those are splitty buses, mine has vents, I may try an under bus scoop. The new motor will be larger and have efi, so hopefully run more cooler. I also just got my efi shroud which pushes more air to heads, less to oil cooler!
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

kuleinc wrote:How often are u fixing it? How much did the motor and trans build cost?
did you talken to me ? if so, Chip as already well answered to your question (sorry for my english, I am french, and nobody's perfect huh ?). Goal, is the key. realistic goals. It's mine.
I have no trailer, no drive license for the trailer, not a lot of euros, have to drive my car everyday if I want.
Back in 2008, I asked for a true 13" daily drive bug. So the turbo became obviuous for me.
the total budget was 4000 euros. including the engine and some reinforcing (the tranny) + ignition upgrade (BTM) + fuel management (holley red !!)

In short : on the track. no burnout. launches at 4000 rpm. 60 fts very soft : average 1.75. the turbo do the job enough for me: I let it go. on road, bcause of cops : nothing fancy...no the excatly the true but...hey, nobody's perfect, huh ? :D
No I am in the 11.60 range, with the same gearbox. sway away axles, super diff and poor man posy upgrade. Clutch is stage 1+ black magic disc.

You can drive your car every day, but If you are on cheap like me : as chip said, Goal is the key.
2276cc daily draw though
ET: 11.67
MPH: 119.64
fastback

Post by fastback »

how many of you are running without intercooler?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I did, my new setup has one though...