Daily driven aircooled turbos... who's done it?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
56speedster

Re: Daily driven aircooled turbos... who's done it?

Post by 56speedster »

fastback wrote:how many of you are running without intercooler?
No intercooler here - I am running an alky injection kit though but it doesn't spray until 11psi.
Vee Dub Nut

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

I'm not planning on running one due to packaging issues.

I do plan to use a Coolingmist injection kit, but that will only spray above some pressure I haven't determined yet.
56speedster

Post by 56speedster »

That'll be a good move Vee Dub Nut though you may not need it if you keep the boost below 10psi as long as you have enough fuel. I currently have my setup armed through a toggle switch but I would like to be able to do away with the toggle switch and arm it through MS so that it wouldn't spray unless the IAT's were above a certain level because as it is now, it will spray anytime it is armed and the pressure goes above 11psi.

Yesterday when I drove it to work and it was 24 degrees, I hit the highway and started my spirited driving ritual and then noticed my spray light coming on as I was hammering it. Turned the toggle off and kept on hammering away as it was too flippin' cold to need the spray. I would have to guess (purely a guess) that my IAT's were probably no more than 70 degrees.

If I had the space, I would possibly think of adding a cooler but I don't have the space and I don't want to have to explain to my wife why I have to empy the ice bin into the car all of the time. :mrgreen:
Vee Dub Nut

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

Yea... I will definitely need something in the hotter months.

I looked into an air/water intercooler setup, but I don't REALLY like the idea of having to plumb all of that into the car. On top of that, I had concerns on how well I could keep the water tank cool without having to resort to ice in the box every time I take the car out. With ambient temps as hot as they are around here, I don't know if a small radiator and fan could really keep the heat from building up in the water system.

The appeal of meth injection is a consistency for me
56speedster

Post by 56speedster »

I have the same concerns here due to the high summer temps and luckily the injection setup works great. Wonder how it would work with a dozen or two ice cubes in the reservoir.... :idea:
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

No i/c here, it's a huge issue during the hot months. When it's like it is now, I can beat on it all I want and it's not an issue. Meth injection still waiting to be installed.... lazy me...
kuleinc

Post by kuleinc »

I thought you sold out your beetle stuff to do the corvair?
1995 BMW 318ti with M3 Motor (Mine)
1994 BMW 325i Sedan (Hers)
1968 Baywindow Camper (Parts Bus)
1971 Westy Baywindow (EFI project...)
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=137593
Vee Dub Nut

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

miniman82 wrote:No i/c here, it's a huge issue during the hot months. When it's like it is now, I can beat on it all I want and it's not an issue. Meth injection still waiting to be installed.... lazy me...
What are you waiting for??? You've only been saying this for 2 years :wink:
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

I know, I know. But being the go to work car with the Corvair OOC, not having the spray keeps me from running insane boost pressures that might knock it out of the race. In short: it's keeping me on the road not having it ATM. lol

kuleinc: no one wants it! Been on the market for a long time now, frigging people keep asking 'how much for just the motor?' :roll:
56speedster

Post by 56speedster »

miniman82 wrote: Been on the market for a long time now, frigging people keep asking 'how much for just the motor?' :roll:
"Same price as the whole car". Buy the motor for $XXXX.XX and get the rest of the car for free.

I advertised a home of mine for sale 10 years ago for $5 (five dollars) and in the description mentioned that they had to buy the huge tree in the front yard as well for $150,000 to get the deal.
56speedster

Post by 56speedster »

yingxuy wrote:If you want reliable, so a lot of power, you take the money. The best thing is to come up with plans to set realistic goals and then establish what needs to be what you want.
:?: :|
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Ignore the spammer, I already reported him/her.
durfeec

Post by durfeec »

how many people are daily driving a turbo bus? i plan to turbo my stock 1600 this summer. a simple blow through with a 34 pict 3. T15 turbo. i have been looking into intercoolers but im still not sure ill need one. im not trying to make power just a little more umph to get up to speed.
1981 Brazilian 14 Window
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

durfeec wrote:
I'm not trying to make power just a little more umph to get up to speed.
That sentence right above is what all the addicts say. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: 8)

I lasted less than a week at 6 lbs. and then I was turning it up to 10 lbs.

Trust me......build it for more.

Clonebug
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Clonebug wrote:
durfeec wrote:
I'm not trying to make power just a little more umph to get up to speed.
That sentence right above is what all the addicts say. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: 8)

I lasted less than a week at 6 lbs. and then I was turning it up to 10 lbs.

Trust me......build it for more.

Clonebug
Exactly !
this the main problem with turbocharging : you will always turn up the boost, no matter what your primitive goal was. It is just a question of time ! :lol:
Follow the Clonebug's advice : build it for more. :wink:
2276cc daily draw though
ET: 11.67
MPH: 119.64