Problem of the day. Post it up!

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Stripped66

Re: Problem of the day. Post it up!

Post by Stripped66 »

Why are you using CB's ECU and the MSD boost retard to control your timing?

If you're using the CB ECU to set your ignition curve, you need to lock the centrifugal advance mechanism in your distributor and remove your MSD boost retard module; the CB ECU should be programmed to adjust your timing under boost.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Stripped66 wrote:Why are you using CB's ECU and the MSD boost retard to control your timing?

If you're using the CB ECU to set your ignition curve, you need to lock the centrifugal advance mechanism in your distributor and remove your MSD boost retard module; the CB ECU should be programmed to adjust your timing under boost.
X2 This is very important!
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
rich74310

Post by rich74310 »

Cheers for your help guys.

I did wonder about that. The instructions are so vague, plus its my first vw engine ive built.

Thanks for all your help. Will sort this today
rich74310

Post by rich74310 »

Sorted. Locked the advance, got rid of the boost box, up loaded a new map, set timing.

Went out for a drive, adjusted the timing alittle and the fuelling just before boost as it was running a little lean.

It is fast, it pulls like a train from 3000rpm now. Going to have a little more of a play with the fuelling during the week.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Cheers

Rich
Stripped66

Post by Stripped66 »

Great news, Rich! Have fun!
56speedster

Post by 56speedster »

On the way home hammering through gears when all of the sudden I hit the rev limit. Didn't think much of it until I came to a stop and started rolling again - when I shifted to 3rd, it was like shifting to neutral so I hit 4th and made it home with no problems.

I'm guessing the gear has spun on the shaft but don't know a lot about these transaxles other than I have put this one through many years of abuse and for the past 3 years, it has been abused through a 2276 turbo at 15psi so I'm not complaining as I have no idea what's inside this trans. It is an AT code IRS with the single side cover and has treated me well and has never leaked a drop.

I'm now in the market for a solid replacement for this trans that will be able to take more abuse than this one has. I wouldn't be surprised if this one is stock but I won't be the one taking it apart - or at least I don't think I will be.
The road to success is always under construction
Hum_Bug

Post by Hum_Bug »

I'm in the prosess of putting together a 2599ccm T4 with CB quick tune and a T4/60 turbo. I have big Klaus Tuning pressure boxes on the TB's and they have 4" inlets. My turbo have 2,5" outlet. So the question is; Should I run 4" piping from the TB and as close to the turbo as possible? Or should I use 2,5" piping from the turbo and all the way to the pressure boxes, with a silicone reduction adapter at the end?

Thanks for any input your guys might have :)
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Reducer at the pressure cover area.

Or keep it simple, sell me the Klaus air box and you go with CB pressure covers :)
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Hum_Bug wrote:I'm in the prosess of putting together a 2599ccm T4 with CB quick tune and a T4/60 turbo. I have big Klaus Tuning pressure boxes on the TB's and they have 4" inlets. My turbo have 2,5" outlet. So the question is; Should I run 4" piping from the TB and as close to the turbo as possible? Or should I use 2,5" piping from the turbo and all the way to the pressure boxes, with a silicone reduction adapter at the end?

Thanks for any input your guys might have :)
Sure is easier to plumb with small tube in the engine compartment. expand once you get to the boxes.
Humpty

Post by Humpty »

Clutch gave up the ghost.... Car is good (not great) out of the hole, but as boost comes on the clutch up and leaves... Especially in top gear.
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

Here is why you don't run dual springs with stock rockers

clips broke and bypassed screen since I have a sump there is no umbrella over screen for falling oil and occasional clips. lol
Type 3 Subaru powered EJ25
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

Yikes! :shock:

What is that, key from the end of a rocker shaft?
Humpty

Post by Humpty »

Ouch!
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

yes that is the clip from the end of the rocker shaft. There was even some little bits inside the filter. Thank goodness I had that or motor would have been toast.
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

yes that is the clip from the end of the rocker shaft. There was even some little bits inside the filter. Thank goodness I had that or motor would have been toast.