type 4 turbo 2.0L

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
CobraJet

Re: type 4 turbo 2.0L

Post by CobraJet »

Holy Crap that is a lot of cutting! How long did that take you and what was the tool you used?
bender

Post by bender »

Magnesium cuts fairly easy.....Grinds and sands super fast...Compared to aluminum...... 8)
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

:shock: im back on the build

NKOTB

Post by NKOTB »

super sweet build, can i ask you question. how difficult it is to weld cast aluminum to a extruded (like commonly available inter cooler piping), because i have bunch of such medium for my next build. Can you recommend a basic quality system for that?

or would brazing hold up?
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

It really depends on the quality of the casting but it's more or less doable for the situation your going to be doing. As far as welding systems Miller all the way http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/. The Diversion series and syncrowave series are "affordable" for what your after. If your asking about quality turbo kits, its a crap shoot whatever you find on the internet. I have been consulting with shag to get the right stuff for what my goals are, maybe he can help you.

Id skip the brazing personally but who's to say it can't be done :lol:
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

A synchro is very nice (I have a ~20 year old 250, low hour bullet proof beast, spent it's life in an R&D lab where nobody welded AFAICT) but if you are going to be doing a lot of fine work on aluminum, an inverter welder with a higher frequency capability (120HZ-240Hz) is very very nice, although not required... Keeps the arc size down and the heat concentrated a bit better.

Also, many aluminum alloys can be welded with gas, it seems to be something of a lost art.
(some aluminum alloys cannot be welded using TIG but can be welded with gas, a few just suck)

A Good Welder will be able to get the same quality (if not appearance) welds out of a $50 used crackerbox using scratch start. (and that does in fact work just fine for TIG, given a lot of tungstens, a torch with a gas flow valve and patience) A crackerbox is also much closer to portable than a synchro is, even the new smaller ones with all the delicate electronics.

I have seen ingition-coil based hv arc starters on crackerboxes... works fine, that's ~what TA uses on even its uber high end units.

You can also MIG weld aluminum with a spool gun, given a big enough MIG setup, it is good for many things.
I have never seen a pretty aluminum MIG weld, usually for large welding jobs, spray transfer.

I'm very happy with the way my 181i works, although I have only managed to destroy a few tips trying out aluminum MIG (lack of motivation as I have the synchro...) For DC (steel) TIG/MIG it works peachy.

The long rumored ac/dc mig/tig/stick welder from TA has not appeared yet.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
NKOTB

Post by NKOTB »

thanx for links and info. great hints to understand differences. Ive rocked cheap mig/flux for years, the welds are ugly but they hold strong. kind of sick of mig, I will try to look for second hand miller.

that lost art of open flame. i might try out brazing- all based on the quality of cuts i'll get out of inter cooler lines.

and i anxious to see the updates of your build all polished out:)
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Got the pan a roller and first mockup of the motor 8)
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Finally starting to see results!
juki48

Post by juki48 »

looks good! but I fear that intercooler is going to really mess with your cooling air flow.
Riley

74 Ghia 2276 Turbo MSII Extra
67 Beetle in restoration
Manx Style buggy 1600 stock
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

It was definitely something to think about in the design of the setup. However with the e85 im gunna run, oil cooler setup I plan to run, and the fact the fan is way overkill to begin with I think it will be a non issue. There are some 911's out there with just as much stuff surrounding there fans and they are fine. There is about 3" in the front that opens up to 5" toward the back of the fan. Only testing will tell :lol:
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Teaser pic of the custom engine tin:

This weekend I get to tackle making an air box out of the rear apron with this out of a 911 GT3 RSR:

Ironically this bugs distant cousin supplies the only one I could find that would fit my space restrictions and work with my motors CFM requirement. Needed to big of a cone filter to fit anywhere :lol:
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Today was a good day, got to hang with @WLD419 and managed to get something done to boot! :lol:

Early stages:

Gunna wrap it up tomorrow and continue on sealing up the engine bay. I plan on the air filter to be on the fresh air side of the engine tin.

sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Metal work 99% done. just need to make a retainer ring to hold back the filter and do final sealing/body work. Back onto the engine tin :twisted:

Image]

Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

sweetlokin66 wrote:Image

Got the pan a roller and first mockup of the motor 8)
The turbo looks very close to the ground and lower than the sump. Are you not worried about the ground clearance and where do you plan to drain the oil from the turbo to ?