Chip's Turbo EFI Build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Chip Birks

Re: Chip's Turbo EFI Build

Post by Chip Birks »

Steve Arndt wrote:Scratch that. On the line loc I did 1/8 NPT to AN-3 on one side, and flared my own on the other end.
Dang! Got my hopes up for a second! Anybody else?
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

So what exactly are you trying to do? I'm an amateur plumbing dork and I got it all to work.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Lanner at v dub engineering on samba has hat you need I think.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

http://secure.chassisshop.com/partdetail/896/
10 MM X 1.0 BUBBLE FEMALE TO 1/8 NPT MALE STRAIGHT BRASS FITTING

Will that work??

Or there are these

http://www.cbperformance.com/SearchResu ... e+flare%22
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Awesome! Ordered the cb parts. Thanks for the link!
shag55

Post by shag55 »

Very nice Chip!
------------------------------------
Shag Leone, SL-1 Racing
325WHP and 290TQ @17# on 91oct
383WHP and 324TQ @23psi on 50/50 mix
What's next?

Need a turbo or parts!
[email protected]
Facebook at SL 1 racing
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

shag55 wrote:Very nice Chip!
Thanks! Nice to see you back here!
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I just heard you left facebook. That means you should update us here 3x as much...
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Tired of the politics and other garbage that came with it. Been nice to be free! Honestly not tons to update here. Car had been parked since Nov for electrical updated and new rear brakes. Electrical is 99% done. It runs. Just need to get it's brakes finished up. Gotta build 3 lines, fill the system with fluid and bleed. I have a new set of 215x65x15s to mount up to the Erco's, and then just gotta shoehorn the interior back in and it roadworthy again.

Not too much going on. I am finishing up a draw through to efi conversion for my dad. His 56 inherited my old ms3/3x. Should be a nice simplish setup. Hoping to get the car back into low 11 to high 10 second territory.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Almost a year and no updates on this one...Yeah right!
After completing the MS3Pro install last year I ran into some major electrical issues. Long story short, I ended up having to re-do the main AMP seal connections right at the ECU. I opted to not re-do the entire harness that I put in last year, and instead added a bunch of pigtailish connections that allow me to unhook the ecu from the car about 8 inches from its master plugs.

The main goal here was to make the car a little more universal as far as engine management is concerned. All I have to do is build a properly pinned main plug and adaptor harness and then I can just plug in any computer I want.
It made the harness a bit busier in the battery box, but makes servicing it much simpler.

While down for harness repairs I decided to do a little engine work too. I ended up ordering a set of hand ported heads from Shag @ SL1 Racing, as well as a new cam. I am hoping to tone the car down a bit, as it had been leaning more and more towards the wilder edge of streetablility. The heads are beautiful!

I wasn't a big fan of the fuel system in the car, and think that it may have played a pretty big part in all of the broken cylinders the car has had over the years. Stable fuel pressure has never been its strong side unfortunately. In fact is seemed that as throttle increased, fuel pressure plummeted, and vice versa. Also I hated the 90% aluminum hard line used in the system. The joints leaked, and could only be opened and closed a couple of times before the aluminum fatigued and leaked more. I decided to go all braided stainless sleeved teflon hose from http://www.anfittingsdirect.com. After I learned how to assemble the stuff it went together nicely. I decided to try something a little different than the typical inline pump arrangement. With a little advice from Kalle and a lot of reading and planning I decided to try fabbing up an in tank type setup. I picked up a new Walbro fuel pump similar to this but without the -6 fitting on the end, mine has a 90 degree turned 5/16 hose barb http://www.jayracing.com/fuel-pumps-c-2 ... 42961.html.
I also bought a few bits and pieces from http://www.tanksinc.com and used those to fab up a pump hanger that fit inside my stock tank. It is a very tight fit, but seems to work nice. It also makes for a very quiet fuel pump setup in the car. I didn't baffel my tank, and may actually have to do so in the future, for now I'll just keep fuel in it.
This is a mock up photo, zip ties weren't actually used, nor was the black rubber hose. I ended up using OEM style clear plasticish hose stuff to connect the pump to the pass through fitting.

Thats the fuel system. Next I added a couple of wheel speed sensors into the combo. At one point I bought one of those VDO electronic speedo drivers to give my MS a speed sensor input. I never could talk myself into using it though, since it would cost me the use of my stock speedo. So it still sits in a bag, unused(anyone need one?). I ended up buying a pair of Hall effect sensors from Mario that I then connected to a couple of digital switched inputs on the PRo. These sensors are placed behind the rotors, one front wheel, one rear wheel, and point at the tabs that the rotors use to connect to the hubs. Each one has 5 tabs, and with a little math to figure out how tall my tires are I inputed that info into the MS and now have loggable speed sensors. These allow for a few different things. Boost by MPH, or gear, traction control, I could even probably activate some kind of electronic spoiler by mph if the car was so equipped. Here are a couple photos of those. Might be a little hard to tell whats going on though. Sorry.
Front
Back

Sorry for the long update. It was a long busy winter and spring and I am excited to put some miles on this car again. Its been too long!

It got a little update in the looks dept too...
from this
to this
Last edited by Chip Birks on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Looking good, nice update. What cam and heads did you get? specs?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Its a SL1 custom grind, 262°@ .050. .400 lift at the lobe 110LC
Heads are G01 casting, 44x37.5, vw650, TI retainers,
The cam and heads are by no means small. The cam I just took out was 274°@.050 lifting .410 at the lobe iirc on 108LC. This one killed all bottom end and was a bit of a bear to drive.
Only had one decent drive with the new combo, but it seemed to get down the road fine enough. Lots more tuning to make happen though.
Last edited by Chip Birks on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Nice update! Looking forward to read more when you have done some more testing and tuning.

Best rgs
Kalle
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

Thanks for the update Chip, your bug is looking sharp. Keep them coming
Type 3 Subaru powered EJ25
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

I still can't wrap my head around your fuel pressure issue. You aren't boosting that much yet but you are still seeing a drop? Have you removed the flex sensor from the equation yet?
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store