Turbo 1915 Build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
User avatar
Vee Dub Nut
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am

Turbo 1915 Build

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

Ok.. starting a new build thread for the next changes for the Beetle. This will be a continuation from my FI-Turbo build up thread from the FI forum (http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=128778) I'm currently running a blow through turbo set-up with fuel injection which consists of:

German FI Beetle Plenum and TB
CB FI end castings
24lb/hr injectors
Fueling controlled by MS-1 v2.2 pcb running Extra code
Ignition by EDIS
CB hideway header
KKK K24 Turbo (factory on 2.0-2.2L Audi's)
Bosch 103 diverter valve.

I initially put all this on my old 1915 longblock (with its crappy cast crank) with plans to take it easy on the engine (i.e. low boost, low rev limit, etc) until I could afford to finish the job by building up my long block. Well my schedule got bumped up a little early after my engine has started doing some "self clearance'ing" leaving little bits of evidence in the oil pan. And to make a long story short, now here we are.

Here are the very early preliminary plans:

-Re-use my AS41 case (opened for 94's, 8mm studs, full flowed)
-Re-use my MOFOCO 042 heads (40x35.5, I'll do a valve job and some minor port work while I'm at it)
-Maybe reuse my current piston/cylinder, or may replace depending on their condition when I pull them
-DPR counterweight 8 doweled crank (already ordered)
-CB unitech HD rods (the ones with ARP bolts)
-CB lightweight lifters
-Eagle/CB 2241 cam (sorta following Mini's build on this one)
-AC.net HD aluminum pushrods
-Stock 1.1 rockers with bolt together shafts
-Shadeck 26mm oil pump
-96 plate MESA secondary cooler
-I'll be bumping my 24lb/hr injectors up to somewhere around 35ish

Thats the plans as I see it so far, but everything is subject to change. I would love to hear any suggestions that you may have. I'm looking to make a nice torque'y driver for the street. Want power from down low to about 6-6.5k or so. Ultimate power goals?.. dunno for sure. Not stuck on numbers, I just want a nice driver engine.

Anyways, started the project today by getting the engine back out of the car, and got it all torn down to the long block. Over the next few days I'll pull the long block down and take inventory of what's good in the engine, and hopefully find the offending parts currently flaking into bits LOL...

A few pics for good measure:

Before shot (won best custom engine at the Texas VW Classic)
Image

And now its out...

Image

Image

a little wrenching here and there.. and bam, all torn down

Image

Image

Image

Image

More to come.. I'm realistically targeting having this project done around early fall. My budget is limited, so it will take time to collect all the bits and pieces.
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by miniman82 »

Any clue what's going on with the old motor?

Nice turbo. :wink:
Image
woodsbuggy
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:49 pm

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by woodsbuggy »

Sorry to hear of you problems. What are you using for a TPS on the German TB? Let us know what parts you need for your build, I will be happy to help if I can.
Good Luck
Woodsbuggy
I bought the cheapest one I could find but it still doesn't work!
User avatar
MinamiKotaro
Posts: 2071
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:26 am

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by MinamiKotaro »

I would go with 48lb/hr injectors at a minimum. I effortlessly maxed out my 36lb/hr ones. 48s should be good to 300HP on gasoline.

I also like the TCS-20 for a driver. Massive low end and pulled to 7000 on my 1915 with unported 40x35.5 heads.
User avatar
Vee Dub Nut
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

miniman82 wrote:Any clue what's going on with the old motor?

Nice turbo. :wink:
I'll know for sure tonight when I pull it down. The stuff that was coming out looks like little chunks of the lead overlay from a bearing (non-magnetic and silvery). I'll post up my findings tonight
miniman82 wrote:Nice turbo. :wink:
Thanks :lol:
woodsbuggy wrote:Sorry to hear of you problems. What are you using for a TPS on the German TB? Let us know what parts you need for your build, I will be happy to help if I can.
I'm using a Bosch TPS sensor. I'll post of the part number tonight. It came with the fuel injection kit that I got from Mario. He has a little acrylic adapter that goes between the sensor and the TB<.
MinamiKotaro wrote:I would go with 48lb/hr injectors at a minimum. I effortlessly maxed out my 36lb/hr ones. 48s should be good to 300HP on gasoline.

I also like the TCS-20 for a driver. Massive low end and pulled to 7000 on my 1915 with unported 40x35.5 heads.
I'll take that into consideration. I don't want to go TOO big on the injectors and have a hard time with idle and injector opening time issues. I guess I could install the flyback circuit and do PWM on them at idle if I went with low-Z, but I'd prefer to not have to screw around with all of that. I'm in no danger of making 300hp, and don't plan to be, so that's probably overkill.

I've also looked at the TCS-20 cam. Got a good deal for a nice lightly used second hand one from a friend. My only concern was that it may be a little big for what I'm trying to do. Thats what I'm really torn about.. using the TCS-20, or mimicking Mini's build with the 2241. Yall have both shared lots of info on your builds, and your power delivery characteristics seem very similar. Don't know whats best for me yet.
User avatar
Turbo Farviknugn
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by Turbo Farviknugn »

Its called SELF CLEARANCING !! :lol:

Let me know which rod bering it is coming from. all my chunks appear to be coming from #2 :lol: rod.

Didn't take you long to get it apart let me know if ya need anything I got its yours, got a spare 5.5 CB H beam rod ??? :lol:
User avatar
Vee Dub Nut
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

Yea no kidding... all my rod bearings look ok.. a couple of TINY pits on the cam bearings, but nothing that looks like my flakes. Of the mains I pulled, nothing too major that I can see. A lot of heavy streaking, and definite signs of wear all over the engine. I cant get the number two bearing off until I get my puller, or the rear bearing until I get a socket to pull off the flywheel

From looking at the case, looks like it will need a line bore. I bet that poor little cast crank was doing some flexing. Looks like the support for number 2 was the most beat. That is what my money is on for the source of the flakes.

The saga continues.
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by miniman82 »

Guess I wasn't being too paranoid when I sprung for the shuffle pinned case and good forged crank then, huh? Hope you can track down the cause, I hate not knowing what went wrong when there were obvious signs.
Image
User avatar
Vee Dub Nut
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

We'll, got the engine torn all the way down...

Unfortunately, I didn't find a glaring bearing failure like I thought I would. I did however find quite a bit of distress on the mains and main bearing saddles, as well as some goofy wear on a couple of the cam bearings (some flaking on the thrust surface, & one of the edges on a bearing breaking apart). In the end, its was time for a rebuild. I think that the cast crank was likely flexing quite a bit, causing the extra stress going into my bearing saddles. Needless to say, I will be align boring the case.

I've decided to just get the parts needed to get the engine back together and not go through this fancy build I was planning. I made a spreadsheet with my "wishlist" of parts to build up the engine, and the subsequent parts needed to build the trans up to handle the extra power, and it was just too far out of reach for me right now. So now it comes down to the choice of having the car running or not.

Here are the plans

AS41 case (fresh align bore)
MOFOCO 042 heads (I'll do a quick freshen up on the heads)
DPR crank
Stock 311B rods
Engle 110 cam or equivalent (thinking this will be a good compromise to get the car to breath better, but still be mild enough to fit with the rest of the combo)
new Brazillian lifters
Re-use my 94's
Re-use my 12lb flywheel
Kennedy 1700lb pressure plate w/stock disk
Re-use my Schadeck 26mm oil pump (nearly new)

This will get me back on the road at least.. Then I can slowly save up for more engine down the road.
Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Thu May 13, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by miniman82 »

Vee Dub Nut wrote:....my Schadeck 26mm crank (nearly new)...

Where can I get one of those? :lol:
Image
User avatar
Vee Dub Nut
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

LOL... fixed it..

Man, I bet I could turn some crazy RPM's with a 26mm crank :mrgreen:
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by miniman82 »

I had an idea to turbocharge a super short stroke engine at one time, but I think 69mm is about as short as I'm willing to go on a street engine. Imagine it though: 94 bore, 50 stroke, GT35 turbo, CE heads, FK-87 cam on E85 with 9:1 compression. :twisted:
Image
User avatar
Vee Dub Nut
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

Ok.. just about got all the parts to get it together.

I reworked my 042 heads last night. All in all, they looked to be in pretty good shape. Blasted the chambers and valves, and lapped them in. Still had a nice uniform contact between the valves and seats. I did have some problems with the valve springs that came in the MOFOCO 042's. I checked their pressures and only was getting 70-80lbs of seat pressure at 1.5" install height, and anywhere from 120-140lbs at full lift. Granted they are several years old, but needless to say that worried me a little bit. Not planning on building a high strung engine, but wanted to be capable of jaunts to about 6k rpms. So I ordered some of Aircooled.nets HD single springs. They quote 130lbs seat at 1.5" and 250lb's at 0.475" lift. This makes me feel quite a bit better.

Got the machine work on the block finished. This weekend I'll be cleaning everything and mocking up the engine. I won't get final assembly done, but I should at least be able to mock it up, and then tear down and do final assembly on the shortblock.

More info to come!
User avatar
Turbo Farviknugn
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by Turbo Farviknugn »

GLAD someone is doing something with their motor !!! :oops:

I am still waiting on PAY DAY to p/u my crank from the machine shop. WOH did your machine work ?
User avatar
Vee Dub Nut
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Turbo 1915 Build

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

Turbo Farviknugn wrote: WOH did your machine work ?
All it needed was an align bore.. buggy whse did it for better for worse. So far I haven't had any trouble with them, but have read that others have.
Post Reply