Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.

Moderator: seabeebuggy

MarioVelotta

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by MarioVelotta » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:03 am

Volvo TB's are gold, I'm telling you :) I think the insert would even match up to that intercooler size.

Did you just hone and re-ring?
The Dub Shop
Mario@thedubshop.net
2276 Turbo - 92 Octane
11.537 @ 115.74mph - 15psi
1600 S.C. - 92 Octane
15.47 @ 83mph - 13psi
1600 NA ITB - 18sec :lol:
Facebook-Tech-Store

Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:58 am

Yep, I have to agree Volvo tb's are very compact
Picked up a few different ones the last time I went to the junk yard. That's what I installed on my new plenum. If you are looking for more room for that cooler Art. Wink wink :D
Type 3 Subaru powered EJ25

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:22 am

MarioVelotta wrote:Volvo TB's are gold, I'm telling you :) I think the insert would even match up to that intercooler size.

Did you just hone and re-ring?
The Volvo TB's are gold and I used to have one but figured I would never need it......so I sold it......... :roll:

I'm on the look out for a new one.

I didn't even remove the barrels. I just put it back together and I'm going to change my breather system and try that first.

If that doesn't work I'll bore and stroke it and get serious....next winter. :wink: :lol:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.

Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:32 am

Be sure to dyno it Art before you build something else, that way you know what power you made.

Just installed my meth injection a few days ago on mine and should be dynoed in the near future so we can do a comparison. :D

MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:57 am

Oh man, that's something I couldn't do. At least do a leakdown on each cylinder while it's on the stand. I have the tool you can use.
The Dub Shop
Mario@thedubshop.net
2276 Turbo - 92 Octane
1600 S.C. - 92 Octane
15.47 @ 83mph - 13psi
Facebook-Tech-Store

turbobaja

Post by turbobaja » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Clonebug wrote:The Volvo TB's are gold and I used to have one but figured I would never need it......so I sold it......... :roll:
It's going to a good use :wink:
Karl

DON'T QUIT

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:52 pm

turbobaja wrote:
Clonebug wrote:The Volvo TB's are gold and I used to have one but figured I would never need it......so I sold it......... :roll:
It's going to a good use :wink:
:wink: :wink:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:53 pm

MarioVelotta wrote:Oh man, that's something I couldn't do. At least do a leakdown on each cylinder while it's on the stand. I have the tool you can use.
It's not back in the buggy yet so I can still do a leak down.

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:02 pm

Update,

Did a little more work on the intake today.

I have the location figured out and I built the uppipe part of the intake out of some 1 7/8ths inch tubing.

I took my homemade tubing clamp and drilled the end to fit the crosspiece and it fits nice.

Cut a short section off at a slight angle then reversed the angle to get some clearance for the back of the TB.

Rough cut the flange and drilled the holes so all I have to do is pull the Cross piece, drill the hole for the up pipe to fit over and then weld everything up.

Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:54 pm

Looking good Art

MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:37 pm

I can see the tire smoke now
The Dub Shop
Mario@thedubshop.net
2276 Turbo - 92 Octane
1600 S.C. - 92 Octane
15.47 @ 83mph - 13psi
Facebook-Tech-Store

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:14 pm

MarioVelotta wrote:I can see the tire smoke now
Do you think the intake will be too small this way???

I tried to do a larger diameter cross tube but the PITA it would be to install every time just doesn't seem to be worth the extra capacity.

This design just might make the room for the intercooler I need.

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:47 pm

Update,

Got a little more done on the intake.

Set up my special homemade tubing notcher and got the intake ready to cut the up-pipe hole. I had to go and buy another hole saw and of course it had to be $6.00 more than the one size below it.... :roll: :(
I needed the 1 3/4 one in order to make a matching hole otherwise I would have to try to clean it up after welding.

Drilled it to the correct depth.....

Turned it on it's side to make the cut on the bottom part.....

Tacked it all in place to check that it was square and level with the intake tube.......

Checked the inside for match and lineup.......looks pretty good....

Then welded it up the rest of the way and test fitted it.
It lines up nice and fits within an 1/8 of an inch from the shroud like I wanted it to fit.

I'm happy with it.....

Now I just need to figure out how many bungs I'll have to weld to it for all the accessories........

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:19 am

Update,

As you might recall earlier this past summer the stock spring made the throttle stick coming off idle. It was annoying to say the least so I removed the main spring and used a Solex carb spring instead.
I had it ghetto rigged all last summer and needed to make it look a little more professional than a tie strap holding the spring in place.

With removing the Plenum I lost the lower linkage so I had to modify the TB arm to make it work, so after about 5 different revisions I finally came up with a workable solution to a return spring on the relocated TB. What a PITA..... :roll:

Every position I tried ended up having a problem. If it wasn't a conflict with something in the way, then it was either an incorrect angle for the spring to pull the throttle all the way to the closed position... or the spring would hit the lever somewhere. :x

I ended up using a throttle lever piece off of some old dead carbs I stripped.

The piece clamped to the intake will end up getting welded once I get to one with a couple other things I need welded also.

I also made up a bracket that will hold the intake from moving due to the silicone boots flexing just a little. It might not move with the cable but my hand makes it move a bit and if the boots warm up they might flex a little easier.
I'll weld that together at the same time and it will clamp to the intake tube and use the case bolt that the single Weber intake used to stabilize itself.

Next is a new Breather design......... :?

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Update,

Spent some time on the intake support and got it welded and installed.

I used a three inch long piece of scrap steel and cut a one inch section of 1 3/4 inch tube. Ground a matching arc into the flat plate and welded them together for a mount.
After welding I cut half of it off for a perfect match to the intake.

Drilled a hole down low to utilize the case bolt....ground the bottom to clear the engine case, used a hose clamp to position it and now the intake doesn't move at all.

I also came up with a new breather hose route that I hope will work.

I increased the hose size to 1/2 inch inside and of course added a drain to the fuel pump cover.

Installed my homemade fuel pump block off. after drilling and tapping it for 3/8 npt. I used a cheapo plastic 3/8ths by 1/2 inch slip ninety.
It's a little ghetto but it is still up for changes. I'm just happy all I had to buy was one brass street 90 and one street 45 to make it all work.
I had the rest of the pieces in stock...... :roll:

All I have to do is figure out how many bungs I need for attachments, where to put them and then I can clean it up and paint it.