Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug »

CobraJet wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:03 pm What intercooler are you using?
It's off an Audi A4 V-6 Twin turbo car.
They have two intercoolers and I just took one of them. My Brothers kids were messing with those cars for a while.
I got it free and I was able to make the connections work with my intake and turbo after re-clocking it.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

Chip Birks wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:13 pm More Clutch!!!
Didn't he already put a bigger clutch in it?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I have a Stage I
I’m going to a Stage II.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I survived my trip to Portland.
It was wet......It was really wet.

Passed up 2 Holset H1C turbos, A Holset HX35 and a Chinese version HX30 copy.

All were above my price range except maybe the Chinese copy but I didn't want to stoop that low.....

Having to pack a 15 lb. turbo any distance made me want only screaming deals.......they were not.

Picked up a holder for working on VW heads.
Saw only a few VW Distributors but prices were too high.
Saw a couple transmissions and one guy was selling complete rebuilt engines but I never looked at them.
A couple Fiberglass buggies for sale for big bucks which made me feel a lot better about how much I have in mine.

Otherwise I picked up a few tools, a bunch of solderless connectors in various sizes and gauge, some shrink tubing and a few other small items of no consequence.
Prices were up.....beer was ridiculous at $8.00 a cup or can.
Hotel rooms went up about 50%. and two restaurants close by were closed which made the other two absolutely packed and slow service.
All in all a good time spent but we did get pretty wet on Thursday due to a steady rain at the PIR racetrack. It turned into a mud hole.

I should have maybe bought one of the Holset H1C's but I really don't need another project where I end up breaking stuff due to too much power.......it would be a nice problem to have but I think I'm good since I found my boost issue so I'll just turn it up to about 24 lbs and call it a wrap.
I did pick up my Stage II pressure plate on the way home so I'll probably start tearing the buggy down this coming week and get it installed while the weather is crappy.
It's calling for rain most of the week.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Hi clone,

Quick question, what cam do u run?

I would like to know because we have similar engine specs...
Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Engle W-100.
It only revs to 5000-5200 though.
If I had a counterweight frank I’d put a bigger cam to b able to rev out to 6500.
The W-100 gives very good street manners though if that is what you are after.
If you want power go bigger.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Im after drivability, a good stoplight to stoplight pull and torque. I love torque. Lots of it
Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

rubenski wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:34 am Im after drivability, a good stoplight to stoplight pull and torque. I love torque. Lots of it ImageImageImage
Go back and look at my Dyno results.......is that enough torque for you???/ :wink:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

The upgrade has started........... :roll: :wink: :lol:

The fuel tank is pumped down to a couple gallons.....since I just filled it up...... :roll:
The tank is out and working on all the wiring in front to pull the body.

I need to have it done for SpringMeet on the 28th.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

I was using a W100 in my 1776 with only 9lbs of boots and it was still pulling strong at 5600RPM when my rev limiter kicked in, I think the turbo ads at least 700RPM to what the cam is capable of NA. I have seen and heard of much better results with NA cams for torque than any of the "turbo" cams.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Best of luck on the clutch upgrade Art, wish I was closer so I could assist you.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I have that cam in a 2180 I just built. The thing feels like it hits a wall at 4000 rpm. Might be a carb issue, or a head flow problem. This low rpm single spring stuff is foreign territory to me. My turbo car is bouncing off the 7500 limiter almost as fast as I can shift, and this new 2180 is just not that. Its got some grunt, but runs out of steam fast. That cam seems to shine in your small displacement setups though.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

My torque and hp cross at 5250 and the dyno graph proves the peak is at about 5200.
It wants to keep revving but the hp and torque are heading down.
panel

Post by panel »

Art......Just an FYI every car's HP/torque will cross at 5252 :)

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt7iUBE3_AE[/BBvideo]
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
petew

Post by petew »

Bahahahaha! :D

"It's meaningless"