Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.

Moderator: seabeebuggy

Post Reply
User avatar
Chip Birks
Posts: 3034
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Chip Birks » Sat May 12, 2018 4:43 pm

kangaboy wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:22 pm
The only thing holding me back on a turbo like that is that wonky Subaru flange. It would prolly be worth looking into getting some kind of adapter in it though.
I found a dude on ebay that makes a flange that does exactly what you are looking for.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Turbo-F ... SwiONYO53r

Clonebug
Posts: 3420
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:28 am

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug » Sat May 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Chip Birks wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:43 pm
kangaboy wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:22 pm
The only thing holding me back on a turbo like that is that wonky Subaru flange. It would prolly be worth looking into getting some kind of adapter in it though.
I found a dude on ebay that makes a flange that does exactly what you are looking for.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Turbo-F ... SwiONYO53r
That is really cool!!!!
I almost want to order one just to say I have it.... :wink:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.

User avatar
buguy
Posts: 1711
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Port Orange, FL

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by buguy » Sun May 13, 2018 7:57 am

Man clone I was just reading about dyno results of Pat Downs latest 10.8:1 2387 over on the other site. 265hp @ 7000 rpm. Really puts that little engine of yours into perspective! I can't believe how close you are to that number with a tiny engine built with junkyard parts. Really impressive man... Nice job. Inspiring!

Clonebug
Posts: 3420
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:28 am

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug » Sun May 13, 2018 9:42 am

buguy wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:57 am
Man clone I was just reading about dyno results of Pat Downs latest 10.8:1 2387 over on the other site. 265hp @ 7000 rpm. Really puts that little engine of yours into perspective! I can't believe how close you are to that number with a tiny engine built with junkyard parts. Really impressive man... Nice job. Inspiring!
Thanks Buguy......

They are talking flywheel hp I'll bet since Pat D. tests his engines out of the car in all his videos.

I'm not sure what kind of money it takes to get that hp from an engine but it is not street hp since he tested it without an alternator and more than likely without a fan too. Everyone says the fans suck hp after a certain rpm.
It's still impressive but there is a lot of time and money wrapped up in there.
Go read through the Engine Build/Combos thread in the stickies to see where most of the N/A strokers compare to any turbo engine.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.

Clonebug
Posts: 3420
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:28 am

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug » Sun May 13, 2018 9:47 am

I put the rollbar back in yesterday and drove the buggy for a good 30 miles going back and forth to town and errands and I can now say the winter upgrades are finished for this year.
I'm getting used to the clutch and the buggy is running nice.
The weather is fantastic and I'm going to try to go out and enjoy it the next week although it will mostly be going back and forth to work.... :roll:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.

User avatar
buguy
Posts: 1711
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Port Orange, FL

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by buguy » Sun May 13, 2018 10:34 am

Clonebug wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:42 am
buguy wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:57 am
Man clone I was just reading about dyno results of Pat Downs latest 10.8:1 2387 over on the other site. 265hp @ 7000 rpm. Really puts that little engine of yours into perspective! I can't believe how close you are to that number with a tiny engine built with junkyard parts. Really impressive man... Nice job. Inspiring!
Thanks Buguy......

They are talking flywheel hp I'll bet since Pat D. tests his engines out of the car in all his videos.

I'm not sure what kind of money it takes to get that hp from an engine but it is not street hp since he tested it without an alternator and more than likely without a fan too. Everyone says the fans suck hp after a certain rpm.
It's still impressive but there is a lot of time and money wrapped up in there.
Go read through the Engine Build/Combos thread in the stickies to see where most of the N/A strokers compare to any turbo engine.
Wow your right. They certainly are talking fly wheel hp. And he did say that was with no belt. So you may be right there with that number. Crazy! I love turbos!

User avatar
CobraJet
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:12 am

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by CobraJet » Sun May 13, 2018 10:41 am

buguy wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:57 am
Man clone I was just reading about dyno results of Pat Downs latest 10.8:1 2387 over on the other site. 265hp @ 7000 rpm. Really puts that little engine of yours into perspective! I can't believe how close you are to that number with a tiny engine built with junkyard parts. Really impressive man... Nice job. Inspiring!

Can you share a link to this?

Clonebug
Posts: 3420
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:28 am

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug » Sun May 13, 2018 10:50 am

It kind of turned out to be a slugfest.....someone called Pat out on the numbers and he didn't like that.


https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=699129
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.

User avatar
buguy
Posts: 1711
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Port Orange, FL

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by buguy » Sun May 13, 2018 11:30 am

Yeah I saw that. That's what makes it even more crazy! People don't buy that giant making those numbers and you are doing it with a nearly stock engine and 2500 less rpm! Probably have 1/3 the money into it as the customer of that engine does. If that!

Clonebug
Posts: 3420
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:28 am

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug » Sun May 13, 2018 11:58 am

RPM is king........if only I could spin up to 8000 rpm..........
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.

User avatar
Chip Birks
Posts: 3034
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Chip Birks » Sun May 13, 2018 4:52 pm

You're only a crank and a set of springs away....till the wrist pins tear out of your pistons...

Clonebug
Posts: 3420
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:28 am

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug » Sun May 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Chip Birks wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:52 pm
You're only a crank and a set of springs away....till the wrist pins tear out of your pistons...
Along with a bigger cam, more lift, bigger heads and on and on....... :lol: :shock:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.

User avatar
Chip Birks
Posts: 3034
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Chip Birks » Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Clonebug wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:27 pm
Chip Birks wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:52 pm
You're only a crank and a set of springs away....till the wrist pins tear out of your pistons...
Along with a bigger cam, more lift, bigger heads and on and on....... :lol: :shock:
Slippery slope!

User avatar
andy198712
Posts: 1736
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by andy198712 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Chip Birks wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 pm
Clonebug wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:27 pm
Chip Birks wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:52 pm
You're only a crank and a set of springs away....till the wrist pins tear out of your pistons...
Along with a bigger cam, more lift, bigger heads and on and on....... :lol: :shock:
Slippery slope!
my exact thoughts and experience lol

Clonebug
Posts: 3420
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:28 am

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:11 pm

90,428

I have been driving the buggy to work every day due to no rain for the last month. Not really high mileage due to busy weekends and cooler temps that the wife won't go in the buggy for trips to dinner, errands or leisurely drives.
I am at right about 22 lbs boost and have stayed that way the whole time.
I tried to hook the computer to the ECU but it decided to do a Windows update and now my Bluetooth won't connect to Tunerstudio nor will it connect by serial port if I connect by wire......... :evil: :roll: :cry:
I have some things I can try before I go ballistic but I haven't had much time to really mess with it. It runs pretty good the way it is but I would like to work on my cold start and accel settings a little more.

I did a mileage test on Water/Alcohol useage and I came up with 621 miles traveled before the low indicator light drove me bonkers and I had to refill it. I put in about 2 quarts for that mileage which I think is pretty good for the performance it gives you. My little homemade tank will hold about 3 quarts so I could probably get over 750 miles of normal driving before I needed to fill it up. This is just normal street driving where I might pull 4-6 lbs boost on acceleration but usually only pull to 105 kpa and 3200 rpm from a stop sign.
Granted I do give it the boost occasionally and do like to pound through the gears, but I would call this session a normal driving experience so carrying any more water mix is really not necessary. If you were racing or something you might need to take your jug with you but since it uses 3.0 gph at full throttle you can probably get a night of racing on it if you so desired.

All in all everything is going good..... the clutch is holding well but does have a slight chatter which is a little annoying but it seems to come and go. I'm going to slip another washer in between the Bowden Tube and see if that helps. Otherwise it is the price to pay for having a race car disguised as a street buggy if you can call it that.
Once I crank the boost to 24 lbs for a test we will have to see what it will be called. It pulls really hard from 4000 rpm up to the shift point. The speedo really winds up fast especially in third gear which is about a far as I usually go. That is pushing almost 80 mph by then.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.

Post Reply