Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Safari Turbo Project

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Cage?

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Cage?

Lee
Not yet Lee..... I know that should be a priority but the next phase is engine related.....

A sharp eye can see a clue if he/she is an observant sort of person... 8)

Jets are on the way to do more testing... hopefully I will see them tomorrow in time to mess with it......

I can't WAIT!!!!

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I got a little bored waiting for parts and watching the rain fall down the last two days.

I had time off of work because of the crappy weather so I put some of the time to use in the garage.

I had mounted my EDIS wheel that I purchased this spring since the exhaust was off and it was easy to get to the bolt to re torque it.

I thought what the heck, I might as well make a VR mount while I am at it.

I have a bunch of scrap metal pieces that I scrounged on job sites so I grabbed some angle stuff to see what I could come up with.

On the second try I got one that fit nice and tight. The sensor is set at .046 gap to the wheel and I mounted it at 10 degrees BTDC since that is where is seemed to fit the nicest and the wiring would be easier to keep out of the fan belt.

I had to make it in 3 pieces and bolt it together but basically I used the fuel pump bolt and the engine case stud to mount it. It is very solid and will not move at all.

Here is a view of the angle bracket that ties from the fuel pump to the engine case. I then bolted the main Sensor mount bracket to the smaller angle bolted to the pump and engine case.

Sensor gap is set at .046 since that is the closest material I had in the range allowed.

All in all I am happy with the results.

Clonebug
Last edited by Clonebug on Fri May 06, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

You better get it done as we are going to be in your area soon (May 23rd to the 27th). :lol:

Lee
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Fri May 06, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:You better get it done as we are going to be in your area soon (Mary 23rd to the 27th). :lol:

Lee
I'm hurrying there Old Foggy!!! :wink:

You'll get a ride one way or another.

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Got my jets today.

I jumped from a 135 main up to a 150 main and it seemed to run great. Set the timing and took it out before it was even warmed up.

It ran better at mid range but still wallowed at heavy throttle settings.

I built enough boost a couple times to hear the blow off go when I let off. WOO HOO...
I can see 2 lbs. quite easily and hit 4 lbs. a couple times for just a little bit of time.
It is running better and better and I am not going to push it any harder until I get better timing control.

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Well Everyone,

I have to report that I can call this little project a SUCCESS!!!!

I had a little issue with losing the ability to idle last night and messed with it for an hour or so today.

It seemed like my idle jet was plugged. It would run at 2000 rpm and more but would die if I let it go lower that that.
I pulled idle jet and took the compressor pipe off. Checked the idle and even installed a size bigger but didn't help.
So, I pulled that one back out, grabbed the smaller one and checked it closely to see if anything was in it. Sprayed brake clean thru it and blew it out again and reinstalled it yet again.
I went and readjusted the bypass and mixture screws to 2 1/2 turns out and fired it up. Reset the timing and reset the mixture for best idle and set the Bypass for 900 rpm and it seemed to run good again.

Backed out of the driveway and I could tell that it was running very crisp....eased out the clutch and pushed it a bit.
The exhaust just barked very crisp and tight!!!
When I got to the main road I put it to the wood and brought it to 3500 rpm in second gear and it went to 4 lbs. no problem. When I let off I could hear the Blow off working like it was supposed to.
With the filter on it is not very loud but I definitely can hear it and it put a huge smile on my face!!!
Watched the fuel pressure and it was at 8 lbs. when boosted to 4 lbs.
Took my brother with and had him watch my gauges and at 4200 rpm in 2nd gear I ended up with 6 lbs. boost and 10 lbs. fuel pressure.
This thing is now running pretty nice I have to say. It is just a little flat going thru 3000 rpm but it starts pulling hard at 3500 to 4000!
I don't dare to punch it any harder at this time since I don't know exactly what my boost retard is doing. I have so far heard absolutely no sign of pinging or any detonation.
It definitely likes the boost. :D
My little exhaust tip is working really nicely. It has a great sound but isn't too loud right now. It might get to be too much once the newness wears off but at this time it is perfect.
Going at a steady speed it is rock steady on rpm with no throttle movement. This setup really puts the Kadron duals to shame. I thought it ran nice with Kadrons but they never were as crisp as this!!!
I can't wait for the next nice day so I can do more testing!!!!

Thanks Everyone for your help in my turbo project and STF for all the interesting forums that are here to read.

My next add on will be ignition control and from there who knows, I might have to move on the the next step and go FI. :wink:

Art aka Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Got off Early today so I pulled the 150 main jet and installed the 155 main jet.

Fired it up and let it warm up for just a bit. I took off and babied it thru the development until I got to the main road.
From there I put it to the wood and it just pulled hard in second all the way up through 4000 rpm!!!

The choke was still on just a bit due to it not being fully warmed up or so I thought. I really was convinced that the jet change fixed my soggy spot!!

I went about a mile and then held the buggy at a steady speed when it started wavering.... I thought that was kind of funny since it never did that.
So I pulled over at a wide spot and got out my screwdriver to adjust the carb a bit when I realized that the choke was still on due to the fact that the power wire had not been put back on!!
Hooked it back up and took off only to find out that the soggy spot was back but not quite as bad.
I only rev it for short periods of time but it will not pull steady thru the rpm range. I have to feather the throttle a bit around 3000 to 3500 rpm to get it to pull thru.

I am registering 6 lbs. boost at about 4200 rpm and when I took my Son along he saw 8 lbs. at 5000 rpm but I only let it go there for just a couple seconds.
I am going to have to get my ignition checked out before I go any farther.

I need to confirm how much retard I get and at what rate of boost.

That will be my goal tomorrow if I don't have to work.

In normal driving and cruising I am still very impressed on how nice this engine is running...It is just such a pleasure to drive and I need very little throttle pedal to hold a steady rpm. Light throttle take off from a stop sign is amazing!!! I have instant response and it is very very peppy when going thru first and second gear.

I love it!!!

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I found that my idle cut-off valve has decided to take a dump on me.
It caused some problems for me the other day when my engine would all of a sudden not want to idle. It did it twice right after a jet change and I thought the jet was causing the problem.
Now that I have it isolated it is sticking closed almost every start up now.
I have heard of people eliminating this valve but I have no idea how this would be done,

Does anyone know of the procedure on how to accomplish this??
If not, where could I pick up one of these fairly reasonably and of good quality??

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Oh Boy!!!

Went to the Monroe Swap Meet today and ended up being in the area of a certain FI and Turbo expert!!!

He had a little bag of stuff ready for me. 8)

Since I can never turn down a challenge I am now on the road to a Megasquirt addition!!!

Now.... Where am I going to fit the computer???

I have decided to get ignition control and talking to Mario he came up with a deal I couldn't pass up. Since I had already found most of the EDIS parts last year and had them stored in my ever shrinking garage, I decided to go for it.
I was walking around Monroe Swap Meet today and of all the things I came upon was a Volvo 850 intake and TB. I convinced the guy to sell me the TPS off of it and now I have most of the stuff for FI too. All I need to buy now is the CB intakes but for now it will have to wait.

I am going to install the MS 1 for ignition only and maybe this winter I will go for the FI.

I can hardly Wait!!!

On another note for the Moderator...... Does this mean I have to move my turbo thread to the "Engine Management" forum or can I keep it here???

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

It is amazing what a night of sleep will do for creativity!!!

Last night I was looking at my under hood mess trying to figure out where to put the ECU and just couldn't figure out where to put it.

Woke up early this morning with a picture in my mind of exactly how to make the room for it and how to mount it!!! :idea:
Moved the small amp a few inches toward the center.

Which gives me a small opening to hang the ECU.

Built a bracket and drilled a few holes to support the ECU with the serial port facing the passenger seat for laptop hookup ease.

Also added a relay for powering up the ECU.

Starting to run a few of the wires to the relay.

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Well,

The buggy is back in the garage and in pieces.....No.. I didn't blow it up!!!!! :wink:

I am on my way to installing my Megasquirt ignition control.

I have so far built a mount for both the Module and the coil. I already had the VR mount built a couple weeks ago.

I have been working on the wiring of this so far and trying to keep everything somewhat neat but it is not easy.

Of course as soon as I pull the buggy apart the weather turns to sunshine and 70 degrees!!!!! :roll:

I figured out how to mount the Coil and Module without drilling any more holes in the shroud. I used the two coil mount holes to mount everything.

As of now I have the air temp sensor mounted in the intake, the VR sensor mounted by the crank, the Coil and module mounted and I have the wires run to the back of the buggy.
All I have to do now is hook up the wiring and put the body back down and it will be ready for a test start. Hopefully that will be this weekend but since I have been given a honey do list for Saturday I might not be able to pull it off.

Does anyone have a suggestion on which spark plugs to run??? The engine is basically a stock DP engine with no work to the heads.

I was running the B5HS NGK plugs but now I need to go to resister plugs. Any numbers???
I would like to stay with NGK.

Clonebug
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

No ideas but see you next week.

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Well,

Success!!!

It started on the Edis ignition in limp home mode.....Woo hoo!!!
Had a little trouble getting the spark plug wires right but after looking at it when it wouldn't start the first time I got it.
I couldn't use the ECU because I had a complete idiot attack... I am such a dumbass I can't believe it....
Here I thought my laptop had a serial port on it and after getting the null adapter and serial cable ....since I couldn't find the one I have somewhere in this house.....I try to plug it in and get all flustered... even had my wife try to plug it in and then it hit me.
It was the monitor port.... not the serial port you DumbaASS!!!!
Heavy sigh..... now I have to get a usb adapter on top of it... Gosh I feel like an idiot.....
I have an absolute rats nest of wiring so I could do a temporary check to make sure everything worked. Now I have to figure out how to make all these wires look nice and tidy and keep them dry...

Tomorrow is another day.

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Went out and fired the engine again. I wasn't dreaming last night, it fired instantly on limp home mode.

Grabbed a timing light to check the timing and it is dead on at 10 degrees BTDC just like it is supposed to be.

Tomorrow I am going to run and get a USB/serial adapter and then I will fire it up on the ecu.

Clonebug