Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
rubenski

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by rubenski »

Great to hear all is well!

Drive the wheels off!
Better to be blown than to suck!
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

Amazing and inspiring. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.

BTW, what is your RPM at shift point?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I usually shift around 5200 but have gone as high as 5500-5700 rpm if I rev it out for a full pull pass. I have seen as high as 80 mph in third gear due to my 28 inch diameter tires in back.
The dyno shows power dropping off after 5200 rpm though so really no sense in revving much higher. Usually it's because it gets up there in rpm so fast that I forget to shift until the shift light is on on the tach...that is set for about 5200 but seems to lag a bit compared to actual rpm.
My rev limiter is set for 5700 and I hardly ever get up against it.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I can personally attest to his engine winding up very fast and gear changes are strongly felt. When I get back to where we are staying I usually have to visit "the can" immeaditly :wink: :lol: .
petew

Post by petew »

You really need to take it to the strip and scare a few haters. :)
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mileage 90,495

I finally figured out what was wrong with my Bluetooth........ :oops: :cry: :roll:

After spending much time dinking with computer settings, drivers and all sort of sniveling and muttering under my breath I figured out that somehow the little tiny switch on the bluetooth device got moved to the no worky position........... :x
I tried new drivers, updating the computer, and all sorts of crap but all I had to do was slide the tiny little switch over back to the correct position.....how it got moved in the first place is beyond me........ :roll:
After all that I drove it to work this week and took the computer along a couple times. Tunerstudio is still taking fuel out as under boost it is still on the rich side. It must be due to the intercooler giving much cooler, dense air and needing the change. That along with the Water/Alcohol mix hitting cooler air and cooling it even further gets me down to VE numbers at full boost as low as 100 kpa numbers........
I added 2% more Duty Cycle to the EBC and hit a new high for a boost level on a pull through 4th gear and 4100 rpm.
I got up to 23.9 lbs boost.....no detonation and intake IAT's of 83.3* F.
Here is a pic of the log with the max boost marked.
This was cruising in 4th gear and then putting the throttle to the floor and running up to 4100 rpm.

I even had 21.4 lbs. boost at 3600 rpm. It's still running extremely rich at that point but as I drive it with TS running it will slowly come down.
I just don't hammer it that hard very often. I can get 15 lbs boost at 3500-4000 rpm and only use about 75% or less throttle and I have all the acceleration I need to get around most anything.
I did another run through 2nd, 3rd and 4th and I saw IAT's up to 107 degrees due to a longer pull but it wouldn't pull the 23 lbs of boost either due to less load it seems.
I'm going to have to set up my closed loop boost control again to see if it will hold that 23 lbs since I still have 25% DC left.
That will give me something to work on this summer if I ever get time.

I just can't believe the difference that little intercooler makes. It has completely changed my boost abilities and I could probably cut some Water/Alcohol out but then I would need to retune the whole thing.
I can just imagine what E85 would allow me to do.

The weather has gone back to cool and damp which is alright with me. We got very little rain during the month of May and everything is pretty dry which makes my work a PITA since I always need a Water Truck to do my finish grading.
This summer is going to be a little more difficult to get a lot of miles on the buggy since at the end of July my Wife and I, with my Brother-in-law, my Wife's Sister and another couple are heading east on Harley's for Sturgis 2018. We will be on the road for 15 days so there will be no buggy driving going on unless my Son talks me into letting him have it during that time. That would take a LOT of talking.......... :shock: :|
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Wow. That is verry nice clone!

I hope my turbo project will be as relaiable as yours!

Keep us posted!
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

24 lbs of Boost!!! That's got to be some kind of record for a street driven VW CB! Definitely on the cutting edge. Glad to hear the IC is making a notable difference in your IATs. What's the next goal - 30lbs!!??
Jeff
buguy

Post by buguy »

Right?! And that's on pump gas!
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Are you going to come out to VW nationals and run a time or 2 in the sportsman class?
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

MarioVelotta wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:31 pm Are you going to come out to VW nationals and run a time or 2 in the sportsman class?
Is that Seattle???
If so I'm lucky if I get to go to the Burger Meet........ :cry:
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

It is on Sunday, June 15th. Burger meet and Vintage are both the next weekend this year.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
madmike

Post by madmike »

Yea Art, we wanna see what 23.9 lbs. does @ the track :wink: :lol:
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

We all do
petew

Post by petew »

madmike wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:35 am Yea Art, we wanna see what 23.9 lbs. does @ the track :wink: :lol:
Tyre smoke follow by a broken diff. :lol:

But seriously, you should have a go. Just load up the trans and launch smooth. Then scare the hell out of the corvettes and mustangs. :twisted: