Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug »

I have an issue.......

I am driving past my clutch now.

I thought I felt it slip yesterday so on the way home tonight I gave it a hard boost and it slipped in third again........Crap!!!

Kennedy Stage I with a CB Super Disc.

Would I gain anything by putting a better disc in it????
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Art, as I remember riding with you that you and the loud pedal have a love affair going on :roll: .

I do not advise running a 4-puck on the street. Grabs too hard and you can't finesse it without chancing to damage the face of the flywheel. I run one on the sand using a 12# 'wheel with a stock cover but I am not going through the gears all the time either. With a 4-puck clutch disc it is either engaged or not engaged but not anything in-between meaning finessing/slipping the clutch. The reason I run one is that on the sand the car is under load all the time... unless it is on the trailer or on jack stands being fixed :lol: .

I also don't recommend the stage three clutch cover (pressure plate) as I have heard that it is not only hard on the left leg, I have heard that it is hard on the throw-out bearing forks or can damage the case in the holes where the cross-shaft fit (I've seen pictures here on that if I remember correctly).

A stage 2 cover with a stock style disc might work or even a stock cover tied to a 6-puck (I am not completely sure about the 6-puck as I personally have never used one or known anyone who has used one but have heard them recommended before). I have heard they are not as aggressive as the 4-puck though.

I hope this might be of some help.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Welcome to my life clone. I've spent the better part of the summer chasing clutch problems. Hoping to resolve it this week though. I've been running a stage 3 and diamondback for the last 5 years. This summer the car finally started really driving through it. People told me that i should just dress the PP and FW and all would be nice. So i did, even popped a new disk in for good measure. Now it slipped worse than ever! I pulled the assembly out again this weekend and was surprised to see that i was only getting about 1/3 of the contact area that i should have. My conclusion is that the pp was not ground correctly, or its just tired. I bought a new one, and this time will spend a little time trying to understand the breakaway numbers for my available combos. For you I'd say you are probably approaching stg2 and maybe cooperhead territory. Put a long arm on the transmission, and you won't have a problem driving it. Slipping clutches suck. Sorry to hear you are there.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Hey Art, try an find a 4 puck with a sprung center ,,keep the stage 1 PP.
mine works great on the street even with slick at the strip w/ 2276cc :wink:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I guess I could turn down the boost...... :roll: :cry: :cry: :?

But...It sure was pulling hard when it started slipping...... :wink:

I also hit another new high of 24.4 lbs. boost right when it started slipping again...... I'm thinking 22.5 lbs is the limit for this pressure plate and disc, which means it's putting out right around 180 ft. lbs. of torque as set up. Since that is what the Stage I PP is supposed to hold.

Reading at Kennedy.com I can gain 25% if I use a 4 puck disc but don't know if I want to go there or not.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I hate pucks in a real street car. Go stg2.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Chip Birks wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:55 pm Welcome to my life clone. I've spent the better part of the summer chasing clutch problems. Hoping to resolve it this week though. I've been running a stage 3 and diamondback for the last 5 years. This summer the car finally started really driving through it. People told me that i should just dress the PP and FW and all would be nice. So i did, even popped a new disk in for good measure. Now it slipped worse than ever! I pulled the assembly out again this weekend and was surprised to see that i was only getting about 1/3 of the contact area that i should have. My conclusion is that the pp was not ground correctly, or its just tired. I bought a new one, and this time will spend a little time trying to understand the breakaway numbers for my available combos. For you I'd say you are probably approaching stg2 and maybe cooperhead territory. Put a long arm on the transmission, and you won't have a problem driving it. Slipping clutches suck. Sorry to hear you are there.
Chip, because of the design of the VW flywheel (it has a step between the disc surface and the clutch cover mounting surface) when you turn the disc contact area you have to turn the upper portion the same amount. I don't remember the dimension but this has been discussed here before. I haven't been able to find it... yet.

As I said, I am not a big fan of 4 pucks on the street and I'm not totally sure about 6 pucks but I have heard they might be easier on things. There is also a Cushlock/Kushlock setup that I have head OK things about. I think it is stouter than stock but not as hard on things as a 4 puck is. You don't finesse (slip) a 4-puck as you will damage surfaces.

As I said before, the stage III might be a bit hard on the clutch rods and forks. I hope more people post on this part of the problem.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"... your problem is an incorrectly machined flywheel, or your new disc is too thick, or the ... I'm sure you know the depth of the friction surface is supposed to be 21.0mm from the mounting ... measure there too. I think the Berg book lists dimensions." This was from Bruce2 post.

Thanks Bruce!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You can also increase the clamping force of a given setup by changing that 21mm dimension (usually by about .100") but I cannot recall which way is more. (Jake originally mentioned that)

I hopefully sidestepped the whole clutch/breaking transmissions thing and installed an automatic, looking for another converter to get the stall speed changed, may have to break down and buy new.

I DO have a sprung hub 228mm 6 puck (ceramic) and an alleged stage 3 clutch in the TDi.
(The 200mm dual mass setup was done)
It's drivable to me.
Carbon/Carbon would be better that the ceramic or ferrous pucks if you can find someone that will do it for less than the cost of a kidney.
Hybrid carbon/carbon on steel (carbon/carbon pucks only) still works better than anything other than carbon on carbon, and its getting pretty common.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
petew

Post by petew »

Chip Birks wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:44 pm I hate pucks in a real street car. Go stg2.
Amen. Stage II and a stock disc FTW. ;)
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

I have a 4puck in my buggy.

Cant say a bad thing about it.

Just anoying when i back up, in shakes the engine...

Not sure on the press.plate, but nothing fancy, a little better than stock.
Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Got bored so I mocked up my next upgrade for the buggy with a spare turbo on the bench.
I had ordered some connectors from FrozenBoost.com and they are working well.

The heavy rains will be starting this week on Tuesday and don't look to let up for a while so I might pull the turbo and see if I can fit it up and then build a new intake pipe for it.
I'm looking for a 7 inch fan to put on the Intercooler for a little more airflow but I guess time will tell if it will help any or not.

Cooler intake temps are always a good thing right???
petew

Post by petew »

You need more grinders. :lol:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

petew wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:33 pm You need more grinders. :lol:
Three is just perfect......I never have to change wheels this way.... :wink: :lol: 8)
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I saw the forecast for the next week or so and it doesn't look too conducive to driving the buggy. So since I was bored I decided to pull the existing turbo off and use one of my spares as a mock up for the intercooler install.
Using the existing up pipe I'm thinking I might be able to make this work.

I'm not too sure about airflow through the intercooler but the Aussie Guy I met at the Burger Meet a few years ago had his intercooler installed the same way and never saw IAT's higher than 100 degrees. His fan hardly ever kicked on. Now granted he wasn't running as much boost but I think he was at around 12 lbs. so he was seeing a 50 degree drop in temps.

I'm waiting for a clocking bracket for the turbo but if he takes too long I'll have to whittle one out of some steel myself.
I need to order a couple 2 inch 90 tubing from Mandrel-Bends.com and then I can build a new intake to fit everything.
It shouldn't take too long at all.....
After that all I need to find is a decent 7 inch fan.