Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug »

And to think I was just looking at another case for a future build......... :roll: :wink: :lol: :shock:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

petew wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:21 pm This is quickly turning into a, "how big can we can con Art into building?" fest. Fun to watch, but hurtie on his wallet. :D
Okay, back to the mice. I ordered some 87mm cylinders and rings this afternoon. I think I need bearings and cylinder spacers and then I can long block this sucker.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Going stroker just incurs so much more cost through out, you think its not bad, X part is nearly the same cost ect, but theres a lot more to it then that in my experience, so much more mocking over a STD stroke i found....

its kinda more fun to push a smaller motor IMO
madmike

Post by madmike »

Yepper Andy , it's a bit of work clearancing a case :wink: , install crank , turn , re-move crank ,grind ,, re-pete :lol: :lol: :lol:
but the final outcome is well worth it
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

i spent soooo many hours doing that!! then you worry about cam to rod clearance too.... yada yada yada then barrel shims, push rods, tinware, the list is longer then most make out lol
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

madmike wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:07 am Yepper Andy , it's a bit of work clearancing a case :wink: , install crank , turn , re-move crank ,grind ,, re-pete :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's only for the guys that can't coax power out of a mouser.......It's an expensive cheat though....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

It's becoming the david vs goliath story here!

Better to be blown than to suck!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:09 pm
madmike wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:07 am Yepper Andy , it's a bit of work clearancing a case :wink: , install crank , turn , re-move crank ,grind ,, re-pete :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's only for the guys that can't coax power out of a mouser.......It's an expensive cheat though....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do have to remember Clone, there are elements to having lots of cc's that don't suck. One of which is that it is very easy to make power. Mine will make 200whp without breaking a sweat, 7psi is all it took to get me there, and that was untuned, just trying to set a quick spring pressure only baseline. 1.5psi more got me 36 more whp, and the tune was still sucky.
I fully intend to boost and rev my mouse to the moon to get it to perform like I want. I'm okay with that, I'll run it on corn and do whats needed to keep it happy. But I also recognize that its going to be high strung, and in need of more babysitting than my big stroker.
My biggest purpose in building this little guy is just to see what's possible. I believe technology plays a much bigger role in making HP than purely cubic inches.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Cubic inches is easy but expensive.......Show me a stroker that can make almost 200 whp for less than $3500.00.
That's engine, EFI and turbo included.......

I can easily build a high maintenance Stroker and have big bucks tied up in it. It might be fun but everybody has done it and not one N/A stroker can top my engine in hp or torque for twice the money..... Then drive it to California and back with no tools and a Wife along for the ride plus be able to hear the birds singing overhead.....
I could get 300 plus hp with a bigger engine and a bunch of go fast stuff but that's beyond what I started out to do.

If I had E-85 here I would be all over cranking more boost but with what I have I'll just wait for someone to beat me......then I might think about going up another level to stay ahead....... :wink: :lol: 8)
Or I'll just be happy with what I have......... :?

Oh....by the way......I have 4 bolts to take out and my engine will be pulled.
I cut the EGT wire and Mario is sending me another thermocouple plug...that way I don't have to cut my wiring harness all apart to get the engine out next time...... :roll:
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Clonebug wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:19 pm Oh....by the way......I have 4 bolts to take out and my engine will be pulled.
I cut the EGT wire and Mario is sending me another thermocouple plug...that way I don't have to cut my wiring harness all apart to get the engine out next time...... :roll:
Thanks, I just had a tiny panic attack thinking about pulling my engine...never thought about all the new wires and crap on it :shock: :shock: :shock:
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I think scope is important in all of these adventures. You have managed to keep a pretty good eye on that, and have achieved exactly what you wanted, reliable horsepower within a practical budget. Big props there. My goals aren't the same, and just like you, I've built the car accordingly, and other than giving me my 10 second timeslip, the car has met my expectations again and again.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

I am looking forward to seeing a very high boost 1500 built on a dual relief case, those thick cylinders should be a great for making serious power.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

kangaboy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:49 pm
Clonebug wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:19 pm Oh....by the way......I have 4 bolts to take out and my engine will be pulled.
Thanks, I just had a tiny panic attack thinking about pulling my engine...never thought about all the new wires and crap on it :shock: :shock: :shock:
It really pays to do a little planning when building an EFI system.....not only for putting it together......but for ease of taking it apart again for the certain future upgrades.
I have to take my buggy apart in a certain sequence...due to wiring and other systems stacked on top of each other.
It's not really a problem but it shows you what an OEM has to go through to build a car that can be assembled...but also disassembled with a certain amount of ease.
My EGT sensor does not have a way to loosen the sensor without turning the wire too. So therefore the thermowire is the full length of the pan and needs to be cut loose of the harness to be able to be taken loose....A PITA but now I'll fix that with another thermcouple plug.....an easy fix.

You always learn something new every day.......and sometimes you need to take something apart in order to figure out a better way to put it together.......not necessarily a bad thing, but a learning experience nevertheless.

Every time I take my buggy apart I figure out a better, easier way to put it back together....especially in the wiring harness....hey ..I'm just a dumb Friesman...........
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:06 pm I think scope is important in all of these adventures. You have managed to keep a pretty good eye on that, and have achieved exactly what you wanted, reliable horsepower within a practical budget. Big props there. My goals aren't the same, and just like you, I've built the car accordingly, and other than giving me my 10 second timeslip, the car has met my expectations again and again.
Sometimes it's hard to see why someone builds what they build......therefore scope is the all important factor.

We build something that pleases us.....don't worry what someone else thinks....... if it works for you be happy with it.

Get that mouse motor built Chip......I want to see what it takes for someone else to get 200 whp out of a small engine....along with driving it many miles....... :wink:

I myself am completely amazed at what Kalle and the others across the pond have done with their small engines......props to them.....
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:12 pm
Chip Birks wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:06 pm I think scope is important in all of these adventures. You have managed to keep a pretty good eye on that, and have achieved exactly what you wanted, reliable horsepower within a practical budget. Big props there. My goals aren't the same, and just like you, I've built the car accordingly, and other than giving me my 10 second timeslip, the car has met my expectations again and again.
Sometimes it's hard to see why someone builds what they build......therefore scope is the all important factor.

We build something that pleases us.....don't worry what someone else thinks....... if it works for you be happy with it.

Get that mouse motor built Chip......I want to see what it takes for someone else to get 200 whp out of a small engine....along with driving it many miles....... :wink:

I myself am completely amazed at what Kalle and the others across the pond have done with their small engines......props to them.....
Bought some measuring tools today. I'm gearing up. Hopefully the cylinders are here in the next week or so. Waiting to hear back from a company in AZ about copper head gaskets. Steel tubing ordered a week ago, hopefully here soon. I'm going full steam ahead. Hoping to run both engines this year. Gonna make sure I put that new subie turbo to good use.