Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug »

Getting ready for my test of airflow to the intercooler.
Except it's too cold out right now.......

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Too cold out..phsaw! You work in worse that is out there right now :lol: It should be easier as you are having fun.

On you mockup, add so tells on the down side to see what his happening there. I don't think you want a vacuum sucking air that way blocking air flow so you need to check for it.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Dont you think the cardboard will just blow open and the rectangular shape will turn round on the top?
Better to be blown than to suck!
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

That's an interesting point - the shape or bends the box assumes at speed may be very telling!

Another thought - be sure to bring the tools and flip the box to rear-opening for a 2nd run. There's a chance it may get better air-flow through the core coming from the rear! Going by the various air-flow video's and pictures I've seen, there's a good possibility there will be "backwards flow" at the upper rear of the car at speed.
Jeff
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

It's not meant to last very long.
I only made it to give me a pattern so I could see how it fit on the intercooler. I'll probably just drive really slow first to see how it handles the wind and if it holds I'll increase the speed a little at a time.
I'll keep a close eye on the IAT's to see if it cools better.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Another thing would make a wing shaped unit.

The open sides s/b closed and taped shut for testing, you want to control the air flow over and through you cover. Put cotton tells top, sides and rear then get moving with a GoPro or someone riding in another vehicle video tapinging the rear area you are working on. You have to know what is going all around which can affect any air flow from the rear of the body and the cover that can affect the engine itself.

Looking good!

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:08 pm Another thing would make a wing shaped unit.

The open sides s/b closed and taped shut for testing, you want to control the air flow over and through you cover. Put cotton tells top, sides and rear then get moving with a GoPro or someone riding in another vehicle video tapinging the rear area you are working on. You have to know what is going all around which can affect any air flow from the rear of the body and the cover that can affect the engine itself.

Looking good!

Lee
The sides are not open.....everything is tight against the aluminum intercooler core and is sealed as well as it can get as if it were an aluminum scoop.
If it flexes...so be it......if it rips off that will mean it is catching lots of air and it will be worth going to the next level and bending some aluminum........

Also in the first pic you can see my little Mobius video camera mounted and pointed backwards for live recording while I drive..... :wink:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The sides are not open.....everything is tight against the aluminum intercooler core and is sealed as well as it can get as if it were an aluminum scoop. I wasn't sure just what the black area was. I saw the flaps bolted in place but again, I just wasn't sure.

If it flexes...so be it......if it rips off that will mean it is catching lots of air and it will be worth going to the next level and bending some aluminum........ When I was still working, normally I would recommend having the flap tied directly to the rear piece as there could be a lot of wind loading/disturbance (as you inferred to) that way but again, it is your design and it really isn't my job anymore.

Also in the first pic you can see my little Mobius video camera mounted and pointed backwards for live recording while I drive..... So, that is what that little black ball thing is. I wondered but now I know. 8)
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
petew

Post by petew »

Clonebug wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:58 pm Getting ready for my test of airflow to the intercooler.
Except it's too cold out right now.......

Like button :)

Now, here's my guess... there'll me more hot air coming under the car than cold air going into the scoop. Now take a vid and prove me wrong. :lol:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I tried tonight.........battery is deader than a doornail and now it's dark....... :roll: :x :cry:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mileage 89,405

I took the buggy out for test and the scoop did help a little but that is not accounting for the ambient temp change if the was one.
The low before the scoop was 117 degrees
Low with the scoop forward was 110 degrees.
Low with the scoop turned around was 107 degrees but my clutch slipped so bad in third and fourth I had to pedal the throttle through the run.

Highest boost was 22.3 lbs.

This test was in no way scientific and the scoop facing either way really isn't a fair test due to the boost levels not being exactly the same and also the clutch slippage.
With the clutch slipping I can't get a load on the engine to get the boost all the way up either.

Either way I'm happy with the addition of the intercooler since it does help and it only cost me some bends and a few silicone couplers.

I have some video facing the back and I will try to get it uploaded to Youtube later with a link here.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I can't wait to see the video!
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Ditto! Could you tell which direction the air was trying to go through the IC? Top to bottom/bottom to top/front to back/etc?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

GS guy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:49 pm Ditto! Could you tell which direction the air was trying to go through the IC? Top to bottom/bottom to top/front to back/etc?
The yarn on the seat was blowing forward and it looked like the next layer down was blowing back.

When I had the shroud backwards the yarn on top was trying to go into the shroud.

Otherwise it was hard to tell but it seemed there was a good amount of turbulence.
I already knew that due to my hair always getting blown forward.

The video of the hardest launch for some reason quit when I hit third gear.

There is only one other one that was a hard pull which turned out pretty good. The rest were cruising around and waiting for cars to go by so I could give it a full boost test.

I don't like doing over 100 mph when driving toward traffic......it's a good way to get thrown in jail........ :oops: :shock: :cry:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

The video is up.....

https://youtu.be/gV9ELjDq5-4