Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug »

I got the engine pulled last night and gave it the torque test as is with the Stage II and B503A Exide Disc.
It broke loose at 140 ft lbs. torque on the torque wrench.
Next I used wavy washers for .031 shims and reinstalled the PP and Disc. It now broke loose at 175 Ft. lbs. torque on the wrench.
Tomorrow night I will pull that one off and reinstall my Stage I and CB Super Disc and see what that combo held before I swapped it out.
That will give me a base line on what I need from the Stage II to gain some better holding power.
If I don't gain anything I will order a Copperhead disc and try that on both the Stage I and Stage II.
I might also try shimming out the Stage II to .040-.045 and try again.

Stay Tuned.....
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

What’s the measurement from mounting face to friction face on the flywheel? Maybe check that too, you never know.....
madmike

Post by madmike »

should be 21mm :wink: Art may end up with a set up like mine
a 4 puck with a sprung center :wink: =no slipping :lol:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

madmike wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 3:34 am should be 21mm :wink: Art may end up with a set up like mine
a 4 puck with a sprung center :wink: =no slipping :lol:
It's .83 inch which equals 21.08mm so it is close enough.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Did a quick check and the 21 mm dimension that you posted is the same dimension I found too. I couldn't find the tolerance for the dimension though and the tolerance was on of the things talked about when I had the problem. Not a common thing written about.

As long as both surfaces are parallel, the surfaces are not blued or heat checked; e.g., in good shape then your hunt for the right disc and clutch cover combination is heading in the right direction.

Lee

FWIW The .08 mm calculates to 1/32nd of an inch, probably not a problem but remember that as the distance from 21 mm gets farther the PP has to travel farther which makes its grab weaker.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Thu May 03, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Just a PITA that then engine has to be removed everytime one wants to change discs and pressure plates...
Better to be blown than to suck!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Shoot, we've got it easy. Clone has to pull his body to remove his engine!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Chip Birks wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:34 am Shoot, we've got it easy. Clone has to pull his body to remove his engine!
No, I've pulled and engine out of my glass buggy w/o pulling the body but w/all the stuff he has under the back including the compressor then add to that his myriad wiring then it is probably much easier :wink: .
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Some buggies cater to it more than others. I've had them that let me pull them out fully trimmed with IDAs and all. Not everyone is so lucky I suppose.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Hope you get your clutch figured out, I am hoping the Kennedy stage 2 with a Kennedy 6 puck will hold up to my low boost 2276 with 33" boggers.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I should just order a Copperhead and be done with it....$129.00 plus shipping though......more than my PP..... :roll: :cry: :roll:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I reinstalled my Stage I and tested the breakaway...... Installed the same as it was before it holds at 165 ft. lbs. and breaks loose at 170 ft. lbs.
So I only gain 10 ft. lbs. with the Stage II shimmed at .031 inch.
I'll try at different shim and see if I gain any more.....if not I'm thinking of ordering a CopperHead disc and calling it a day.....
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

woodsbuggy1 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:34 pm Hope you get your clutch figured out, I am hoping the Kennedy stage 2 with a Kennedy 6 puck will hold up to my low boost 2276 with 33" boggers.
Kenric
I'm running a 4-puck with a stock PP on the sand where there is a lot of drag. I don't think the stock PP would work for Art; remember, I have ridden with him and his engine does pull like stink and my ride was several modification in the past!

The 4-puck does not allow one to ride/slip the clutch. It is either engaged or not... no happy medium.
petew

Post by petew »

When you get it apart, post some pics of all the parts. Also, if you have a local brake and clutch shop, have them test the pressure plate for how heavy the springs are. I've got a Stage II in mine and a long arm just like you're set up. It still takes a decent push with your leg, not super hard, but harder than stock. There's something funny there. Also, check you're rear main seal/case seams. Could it be leaking oil back into the bellhousing?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

petew wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:22 pm When you get it apart, post some pics of all the parts. Also, if you have a local brake and clutch shop, have them test the pressure plate for how heavy the springs are. I've got a Stage II in mine and a long arm just like you're set up. It still takes a decent push with your leg, not super hard, but harder than stock. There's something funny there. Also, check you're rear main seal/case seams. Could it be leaking oil back into the bellhousing?
No leaks in this bellhousing...... :wink:

I didn't take any pics since every PP and disc looks the same.
Couldn't test the springs since it is a diaphram PP...