Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
turboedbug

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by turboedbug »

Clonebug wrote:
turboedbug wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:26 am where ya located?

I have one laying around.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
I'm in Lynden up by the border so I don't think we can get farther apart......
heading to the nationals tomorrow?
i can bring it then

Turbo!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I'm planning on it......but I just ordered one.....I'll still take it though and keep the shipped one for a spare....I'll have some cash with me.

I can meet you at Mario's car.....I'll probably be hanging around there a little bit especially if he has shade.......I'm the old fart with silver hair......

Text me at 360-410-0491
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

We made it to the VW Nationals and it was a great day....Temperatures were in the 90's and I think I got sunburned a little bit since I'm too stubborn to use sunscreen.......
Watched Mario make 5 passes and got to check out his car........It's sweet!!!!!

I need to say thanks the Turboedbug for getting me a clutch cable along with the adjusting wingnut since mine got lost when the cable broke. I met him at the races and he gave me the cable personally. What a guy........Thanks Bud!!!!!! I owe ya!!!!
We got home around 6:30 and I couldn't stand it so I went out into the garage and installed the cable. After a couple hours of grunting and muttering under my breath I managed to get the new cable cut to length and installed.
It seems to work like a charm. I'll give it the old test tomorrow morning at 5:30 AM when I head to work........

Thanks again Turbedguy......you helped me out a lot since this week is packed...... and waiting until Tuesday or Wednesday for the cable would have put me in a pinch to get it ready for Friday's trip to Marioland and Burger Meet.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Art,,I never cut the cable anymore I loop them with a cable clamp or two:wink:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

madmike wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:51 am Art,,I never cut the cable anymore I loop them with a cable clamp or two:wink:
Mine is the same way; "or two" is the proper trick to keep the loop from slipping. When I asked about it when I got my first buggy I was told that was the most common way to do it.

Lee
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

your welcome clone! i wont be needing a clutch for a while hahahahah

probably another 15 years lol

Turbo!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 am
madmike wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:51 am Art,,I never cut the cable anymore I loop them with a cable clamp or two:wink:
Mine is the same way; "or two" is the proper trick to keep the loop from slipping. When I asked about it when I got my first buggy I was told that was the most common way to do it.

Lee
I've had the three clamps for 14 years now....with a cut cable. It wasn't the clamps that gave the problem. The cable broke so I measured carefully and cut the cable again after putting a little solder on where I wanted to cut it.....keeps it from fraying.
I then used the same three clamps and put it back together.......tested it going to work and back and it should be good for another 14 years....... :wink: 8)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I think my cable was shortened too but not by me; been that way since the early '90s. The only change was when I converted to an 091. Too much weight on the cable can cause the cable to "dance" so be careful :wink: :lol: . Wear is on the horizon for sure :shock: .

Lee
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Clonebug wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:29 pm Friday's trip to Marioland and Burger Meet.
:lol: :lol: :P :mrgreen:
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:43 pm I think my cable was shortened too but not by me; been that way since the early '90s. The only change was when I converted to an 091. Too much weight on the cable can cause the cable to "dance" so be careful :wink: :lol: . Wear is on the horizon for sure :shock: .

Lee
Art, I got thinking about it and I think I did replace the cable not too long after I got the buggy in the early '90s. One of the strands had broken at the loop and I think there was another strand break some where near the clamps... as I kind of remember. No Bowden tube on my buggy so there is a long unsupported run as I remember which is where the "dancing" comes from.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mileage 92,554

I figured it's about time for an update although there isn't really much to update about on the buggy..

Off Topic for a moment.........

It's been a busy summer due to work and taking a 2 week Motorcycle trip to Sturgis and back starting on July 27th with two other couples for a total of 4013 miles.

The Bike all packed....

We really had no time to get into any trouble due to doing a lot of riding and sightseeing with the Wives. Spent a lot of time every day in the Sturgis area checking out the scenery and riding about 150 miles a day to see all the sights for the 4 days we spent there.
On the way over we went through Yellowstone Park and out through Cody, Wyoming.

Missed Old Faithful by a couple minutes...... :cry:

Sturgis pics.....
Sunrise view from our campsite shower house at around 6:00 am...

Downtown Sturgis early morning......

During the day......

Painted Lady was back.......in painted shorts this time...... :wink:

Custom Painted Harley for the U.S.S. South Dakota Nuclear Submarine out for sea tests at 3 Billion and change.....

For the way home we diverted straight south From Sundance through Wyoming to Loveland, Colorado and then west through Estes Park and the Rocky Mountain National Park at over 11,600 ft and spent a night in Steamboat Springs.

The two wives.....Sisters they are....

Pocatello was the next stop for the night. We left before 7:00 am and then from Boice at noon to Pendleton or it was a furnace at over 105 degrees. We had to stop almost every 20-30 miles to rehydrate and cool down due to the intense heat!!!
We decided to leave Pendleton at 5:45 Am to beat the heat but with the smoke in Washington the temperatures dropped to the 80's and it was an easy ride. We made it home at about 5:00 pm to meet with friends for a few beverages and dinner on Saturday the 11th of August.
Most days on the way home were over 450 miles a day which is not an easy ride when 2 up and having Wives on the back....They were troopers and never complained at all.
There were a few issues...one of which the third couple's bike blew up in Sandpoint, Id. and they had to go home with a rental car. The next issue was just after leaving Cody, Wy. we had to take an alternate route going through Basin, Wy. due to construction. 2 miles out of town my Brother and sister in law contacted a Raven which the sis in law took directly to the face at 70 mph. It almost broke her nose and gave her two black eyes for the rest of the trip. Her new prescription sunglasses were sacrificed but did save her vision. It was a tense moment since it could have wiped them both out.......
A couple days after the hit...still smiling......

A bike In the Boise Harley Shop I could have taken home if I wanted a bike......it was sharp......

On to the buggy.........

No trips due to taking the Sturgis ride so mileage is mostly taking it to work and back......It's been running really nicely with almost no detonation even in the hottest weather. I'm pretty impressed with the intercooler and even though it's not the most efficient where it is place it's good enough when combined with the W/I to keep the intake temps in check.
The buggy has been dead reliable and I haven' had to do anything to it. I did change the oil a while back but still haven't checked the valves since the last oil change which has been almost 5500 miles ago. The valve train is really quiet yet so I'm not too worried about it.

I haven't come up with any 2018 winter upgrades yet so I don't know if I'll pull it apart thing winter or not.
I could upgrade the W/I pump to a 300 psi pump from Devil's Own but it's been working so well with the $75.00 el-cheapo I can't justify the extra money for the new pump.
I might upgrade the front tires to a little taller size to get my speedo back to reading correctly and a set of matching BFG's would make it look pretty sharp but there is still half the tread left on the existing fronts right now.
The weather has gone from dry to damp so my buggy riding is slowing down.....I might have a month left but I left it in the garage all this week due to the threat of rain. I could have taken it since it really rained very little with mostly thundershowers locally but I was a little lazy and left it home. I'll do better this week I hope.

My seats and upholstery is starting to show some signs of wear due to time and mileage. The PRP's are getting weathered and my seat is worn through at the top where I must rub every time I get my lard **s in. The back seat is also showing a little wear and weathering so I might have to upgrade those some day.
The PRP's were installed in 2007 and the rear seat was built in 2008.....10 and 11 yrs isn't too bad.
That's probably 40,00 miles of driving on them.....

On another note I noticed that Photobucket automatically took another one year payment out of my CC and did it for the same price I've been paying for the last 3 yrs........ :wink: :lol:
I still have photo sharing and everything for under $40.00 a year!!!!!! 8) :lol:
Last edited by Clonebug on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Seems like you have it all sorted out with you buggy and engine!

Love the road trippin!
Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I went to the Fall Monroe Swapmeet yesterday and just couldn't resist the temptation to walk away from a good turbo deal.....

I passed on a Holst HX35 a guy wanted $200.00 for but when this second one came up for a steal I couldn't resist........ :roll: 8) :shock:

I picked up this HY35W for a good price and it made carrying the heavy sucker just about bearable.....

I'm thinking I could possibly incorporate it on my buggy but it is a heavy beast!!!!!

It's close to the one I bought in 2016 at Portland which is residing in Mario's shop but this one doesn't have an EBC on the Compressor housing.

It has the 9R housing so it should be a nice booster for a 2.0 liter engine.

buguy

Post by buguy »

Are you planning on building a 2L?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

buguy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:03 am Are you planning on building a 2L?
Never say never but no.......it’s not in the plan.
I’m tempted to try it on my engine if I get my drd heads reworked.