Turbo Spark Plug Gap

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
david58

Turbo Spark Plug Gap

Post by david58 »

When using electronic ignition on a turbo should the gap be wider?
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

I found that if I opened my gap past .035", it wouldn't run right at idle. It was lumpy and sometimes stumbled, but I couldn't tell any difference once under boost. kinda strange. I have them at .030" now, which works great.
MinamiKotaro

Post by MinamiKotaro »

Mine like around .020. .030+ and it cuts out under boost.
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
Howie

Post by Howie »

I run a Billet MSD dizzy, MSD6 BTM, MSD wires and Blaster 2 coil, and set my Bosch W8AC plugs to .035. Street only Ghia.

Turbo_Manx_Maniac

Post by Turbo_Manx_Maniac »

Howie wrote:I run a Billet MSD dizzy, MSD6 BTM, MSD wires and Blaster 2 coil, and set my Bosch W8AC plugs to .035. Street only Ghia.

I run almost this same setup (6AL & blaster 2), I've tried everything from .020 to .040 and it made no difference. Settled on .035".

I think a turbo requires a smaller gap, not larger. The gap on my wifes Honda is 1.1mm or ~.043", if I added a turbo I would close the gap by at least .010".
I accidentally Googled my Twitter. (And I liked it)
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

mine liked a smaller gap. .020 keeps the boost from blowing out the spark.
Last edited by seabeebuggy on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.BigMikesGunAndAmmo.com
Thomas Jefferson said It may be necessary for a country to have a revolution every 200 years to right the wrongs of a Government.
Got Lead?
Howie

Post by Howie »

There are so many variables, it would be helpful if everyone told what ignition they are running along with the gap that works for them.

david58

Post by david58 »

Howie wrote:There are so many variables, it would be helpful if everyone told what ignition they are running along with the gap that works for them.

That is a great idea. I don't have a turbo, a friend does and he was told by the guy that built the engine and turbo to gap the plugs at 20. It being electronic ignition I thought the gap needed to be wider. But as has been pointed out in this thread too wide and you can have miss-fires from the boost blowing out the flame.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

I run edis and a gap of .032" at 14lbs boost no problems.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
WickedWagens

Post by WickedWagens »

What plugs, brand and heat range, is everyone using might be helpful also.
shawn63deluxe

Post by shawn63deluxe »

I run bosch W8AC plugs. They came to me in my turnkey engine gapped at 0.048-0.050" the engine would idle roughly and head temps were a pain, even light load on the throttle would see head temps rising higher than I would like. I re-gapped the plugs to 0.030" and now have 350' head temps no matter what. Idles smootly at 1000rpm. Msd dizzy, redline weber ecu, blaster 2 coil and msd leads.
I was amazed how a little work could make such a difference.
Last edited by shawn63deluxe on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
david58

Post by david58 »

shawn63deluxe wrote:I run bosch W8AC plugs. They came to me in my turnkey engine gapped at 0.48-0.50" the engine would idle roughly and head temps were a pain, even light load on the throttle would see head temps rising higher than I would like. I re-gapped the plugs to 0.30" and now have 350' head temps no matter what. Idles smootly at 1000rpm. Msd dizzy, redline weber ecu, blaster 2 coil and msd leads.
I was amazed how a little work could make such a difference.
With wide gapped plugs head temps rise, so does the gap have a effect on timing?
SUbuggy

Post by SUbuggy »

spark plug gap is controlled by how "powerful" your ignition coils is. As cylinder pressure increases (boost) it becomes harder to jump the gap, this is the reason an ignition system works OK at .035 but need to be .025 (or less) as boost pressure rises. If you find you are having misfires, it's not the boost, but YOUR WEAK ignition system based on the running conditions of your engine.

overly-rich mixtures also are harder on the ignition system, super high engine speeds (less physical time to charge the coil), and things like a pertronix module DO NOTHING for spark energy, all they do is keep from wearing out and having to change points.

as for head temps, the large gap was probably promoting misfires, that was the reason for the high head temps. by closing the gap down, you made for more consistent igntion events ie a better running "smoother" engine at idle.

The OEM's run massive .060 gaps, but they do this in conjunction with a very powerful multi coil ignition. mainly due to emissions, ragged edge lean condition promote mis-fires. by having a very powerful, long duration inductive spark, this helps promote good igntion events without misfire.

Spark plug gaps do not MAKE hp. all they are there for is to START the combustion process. True, you might find 1% by indexing, fine tuning a gap for your particular engine, but for the most part, a lot of HP is there to BE LOST by a WEAK ignition system package, not just the gap.
GARRICK.CLARK

Re: Turbo Spark Plug Gap

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

bump