What did you do to your turbo today?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
seabeebuggy

What did you do to your turbo today?

Post by seabeebuggy »

Not many people here since STV left. This forum is dead most of the time. Is there any one building a new turbo engine. I know of a few , What have you done today to get that turbo working?

I have been building a new cage so my inter cooler and alki injectors need to move a little. I also need to move some fuel lines.Not as easy as you would think. I have duel fuel tanks and a auto switch over valve. All mounted behind the engine when the engine was out.
Last edited by seabeebuggy on Sun May 17, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.BigMikesGunAndAmmo.com
Thomas Jefferson said It may be necessary for a country to have a revolution every 200 years to right the wrongs of a Government.
Got Lead?
Turbo_Manx_Maniac

Post by Turbo_Manx_Maniac »

There are some of us doing stuff, we just don't post every detail.

Today I put my rebuild spindles back on the car.

I'm also building a 2387 to replace my 1835. It will also be squirted and turbo'd. Buying parts right now.

I'm gonna go dyno the car in 2 weeks to see what the 1835 puts at the wheels before I yank it out. Then I'm going to freshen it up and sell it complete.

I'm also thinking about adding water injection prior to the dyno to get some data on how effective it really is. I'll bring my laptop so I can adjust the tune on the fly.
I accidentally Googled my Twitter. (And I liked it)
Kenny2428

Post by Kenny2428 »

Thinking about adding water/alky injection to my setup. Engine runs great...
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

Manx,
You do understand that injecting water and or alki mix does not make more power but it lets you run higher boost by extending the threshold where detonation lays.with all things equal as in fuel octane levels. The only way I know is to see how far you can go before you get det. Then add water and repeat until you get detonation. Sounds risky to me.

That is a big engine there.. My next engine will be 3.5L v6 out of a 300m 265 HP on 87 octane fuel or a 3.0 subi flat 6 turbo 500 HP on 15 lbs boost 95 octane fuel. Either way it is going to be water cooled.
Last edited by seabeebuggy on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas Jefferson said It may be necessary for a country to have a revolution every 200 years to right the wrongs of a Government.
Got Lead?
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

Kenny2428 wrote:Thinking about adding water/alky injection to my setup. Engine runs great...
I have 5 gal of E85 and have been thinking of using it to inject but not sure how it will affect my AFR's more rich under boost most likely.
Got Lead?
Kenny2428

Post by Kenny2428 »

seabeebuggy wrote:You do understand that injecting water and or alki mix does not make more power but it lets you run higher boost by extending the threshold where detonation lays.with all things equal as in fuel octane levels. The only way I know is to see how far you can go before you get det. Then add water and repeat until you get detonation. Sounds risky to me.

That is a big engine there.. My next engine will be 3.5L v6 out of a 300m 265 HP on 87 octane fuel or a 3.0 subi flat 6 turbo 500 HP on 15 lbs boost 95 octane fuel. Either way it is going to be water cooled.
Yes, I do understand that. I'd like to run a bit more boost without detonation. Watercooled eh? Have fun with that.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

My engine is in the car :

Built following all the informations taken here on STF forum !

2054cc draw through.

94mm A with grant rings
74mm chinese crank
I beam DRD rods - ARP 3/8
aluminum case
webcam 218 112° lobe center
1.1 rockers
42x37 G03 heads
8mm bugpack chromoly studs
home built T manifold stainless/ tig welded
40 DHLA with 32mm venturis
T3 60 trim comp ar 60 / turbine AR48 carbon seal (from a mustang SVO I think)
10psi
holley red pump/ regulator without boost reference (for now).
MSD6AL
MSD distributor
home built header size 1/2 with a baja exhaust tubings and a merged .
I can close the deck lid, without the air cleaner. so I must find one or buil one that fit.
that's all for now. I'll start this thing tomorrow...[/img]
Last edited by Coyote on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
juki48

Post by juki48 »

why did STV leave? yesterday I made a flywheel puller. I'm working on my 2276 turbo. long block is done
94mm mahle's with grant rings
82mm empi 4340 crank fully inspected and good to go
DRD I beams with 3/8 ARP 8740
Aluminum case
8mm chromo studs
AJ Simms pocket port turbo prep heads, 40x35
LBC 2 turbo cam and lifters (power to 6000)
stock cam gears with dual thrust bearings
1.25:1 bugpack rockers with bushings
low profile OEM shroud

T3 42/48
35mm wastegate
BOV

now I have to fab up my turbo header, my intake runners and plenum, EFI setup and get my MS. then my engine is done. Transaxle comes next!
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

here is a (not good) picture of the engine mock-up, five months ago.
the chrome tubing's coming from an old baja header.
the downpipe is stainless/tig welded.
the carb intake is also stainless.

a closer view of the exhaust
Muffler Mike

Post by Muffler Mike »

I went to an 88 crank from my 84 crank over the off season. (not exactly by choice but it was laying around)
And noticed that i have almost a tenth of a second more of clutch slip on the starting line because of the increased torque. :D
Last edited by Muffler Mike on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cal63look

Post by Cal63look »

I just got my car back on the road. Boy that was a process putting in the new tranny. And removing all the nice crud from everywhere and the OG trans i took out. Cars runnin good, and just waiting to get my silicone T adapter to mount my BOV. I got my manifolds tapped from the local machinest.

One thing thats kind of scaring me is there's this weird air sound coming out of the turbo when i shut the motor off. Kind of this swoosh sound, i can really hear it coming out of the exhaust side. Is this normal?
juki48

Post by juki48 »

coyote, I like your header, where is the collector from, or did you make it?
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

The collector came from an old S&S 1 5/8 merged header.

Not visible in the picture, because was taken before :
I have oppened a "window" in this element to check the inside quality of welding. and it was a good idea ! there was a lot of crap on the weldings, small bits of rusted metal.etc.
So we TIG "re-welded" the older welds. Now it's strong and clean !

The other tubings ( chrome plated in the picture) came from aa another old 1/2 baja header w/out heater box.
This tubing right slip-in in the merged part.
I have swapped the stock flanges, too thin, with 3/8 CNC made flanges.
My brother in law done all the welding job with TIG.
mbugz60

Post by mbugz60 »

I am getting ready to yank the DLI blower off of my 2387 and bolt up a drawthrough turbo. Will I need to change the head studs from 8 to 10mm? The heads held up fine with 7psi on the DLI. I am looking to boost about 10-12psi on the turbo.
This is my first time dealing with a turbo, I am looking for all of the help and advice I can get.

Mike Cummings
Louisiana
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

mbugz60 wrote:This is my first time dealing with a turbo, I am looking for all of the help and advice I can get.

Mike Cummings
Louisiana
For me too ! :wink:
so welcome to the first-time-guys-dealing-with-a-turbo club. :D
about the studs, my opinion is : they can hold 10/12 psi.