coil over shocks

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
mlrailguy

coil over shocks

Post by mlrailguy »

Stripped splines out of torsion tube, so went with Fox coil overs with the dual springs. Is there a general rule of thumb as to where to set the limit ring for starting out? Do I bring nut down on tender spring, just till it's finger tight? I would appreciate all the advice I can get on this subject.
Skidmark

Re: coil over shocks

Post by Skidmark »

The limit ring needs to be adjusted to where the lighter coil does not coil bind. It is meant to transfer the compression to the heavier spring prior to the end of the compression of the lighter spring. Measure the coil diameter, count the coils, and determine the minimum compressed length (with some safety margin). Use this length to position the limit ring.
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

So, say the tender spring is 10" in length, I can compress it 9" safely? As of now, I've got my limit ring just a couple inches or so above the slider. I'm only using about half the tender spring, should I be using more before I get into the main spring?
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

A 10" spring will compress to around 5" before it coil binds and that is why we use 2 10" springs on a 10" travel shock.

Ed
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

OK, guess I wasn't thinking too clear. I've got 10 x 250 on top and 14 x 350 for the mains. At present, the top coils are set at about 8" overall length. The limit rings are about 1" above the slider. So, I assume I'm compressing top coil to 7" and then using the main coils. I'm still hitting the bump stops hard so just trying to figure out how to soften the bump.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I don't (need) run coil overs but most of the guys I know who do have coil overs, mostly on rails, end up going through several of the stronger bottom (?) coils to come up with the ride they want or need. The normal ride first then the setup for the OMG ride has to be tuned to the setup/build of the rig itself.

Having or having access to more than one toy somewhat limits the need for this because you usually are starting closer to the final setup. Even then, the setups on any two rigs may not be the same.

For what its worth.

Lee
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

Yeah, I just keep trying different adjustments, little bit at a time. Think I'm getting closer. Hopefully weather holds out for a few more weekends, and maybe I can get it dialed in.