I have some things to straighten out

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

I have some things to straighten out

Post by Leatherneck »

The rail is finally out of the trailer, surveying what I need to do
Get all of the known bent parts off and see what I need to build back. Should be fun. Now to figure out what to do and how I want it to end up. Thinking of going a tad longer and less of a rake with the frame front. Cutting everything in front of the windshield and building from there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajdenette

Re: I have some things to straighten out

Post by ajdenette »

curious to see what the other pictures were and how bad the damage was.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I will get on the computer, the phone is hard to work off of.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Used the Come Along to let it out of the trailer, with wheels moving in oposite direction it was interesting getting it out.

I am guessing I hit the tree with the beam, glanced off of that to the wheel then somehow hit the rear trailing arm

Finally found something to jam up the Saginaw Box, it has been a tough one.

Rear end slightly bent, bearing housing and tubes done in

Good thing is shocks are good to go for another round.

OutofTrailer.jpeg
BentRear.jpeg
BentBeamOn.jpeg
BentRear1.jpeg
Saginaw bent.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Leather, ever thought about getting rid of the torsion assys' front and rear. Less weight, more travel and more enjoyment. :wink: (got pix from some of the guys who have done it if you want)

Lee
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:14 am Leather, ever thought about getting rid of the torsion assys' front and rear. Less weight, more travel and more enjoyment. :wink: (got pix from some of the guys who have done it if you want)

Lee
Lee, don't have any torsions front or rear, will take your pictures though as I will be redoing the front shock hoop/mount.

So far the things I need (that I know of)
Front beam
Tubes from Windshield forward
Front Shock hoops/Mount
Saginaw steering box ( I like em)
Rear trailing arms 3X3

I always seemed to bend tie rods, I know put limits on them but I want to figure out a way to open the area up that they ride in so I can use more of my travel.Thinking about putting the Beam clamps closer together, pro and con? Ideas, pictures etc are appreciated.
beamISbent.jpg
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

It will be easier to email but if you want them here I can do that also but it would require me to edit the pix which is no problems. Having problems with the internet this AM :evil: (erk!).

Lee
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Leatherneck wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:01 pm
I always seemed to bend tie rods, I know put limits on them but I want to figure out a way to open the area up that they ride in so I can use more of my travel.Thinking about putting the Beam clamps closer together, pro and con? Ideas, pictures etc are appreciated.
beamISbent.jpg
The easy thing for me to do here is to say have Joe text you a pic of his, I like the way MB did the lower chassis of the baja when he was building it. But NO......I have to take a trip down memory lane. I forgot that car had aspirations of being a V8 A-arm car with a ridiculously large set of front A-arms and bulkhead at one point. buy I digress.....

And surprisingly most of his pics are still in that old thread. So that was fun. I am off to work on my theory/version of tie rod clearance. :wink:
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

One of a couple rails.
DSCN0786 copy.jpg
DSCN0784 copy.jpg
Front A-arms.
003 copy.jpg
Rear suspension pivots.
DSCN0923 copy.jpg
Front view.
DSCN0927 copy.jpg
Electric power steering.
DSCN0781 copy.jpg
DSCN0776 copy.jpg
DSCN0777 copy.jpg
A better view of the mounting bracket for the A-arm changeover.

Lee
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Glad to see you have found the motivation to get back at it. Good luck with the rebuild!
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Skidmark wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:35 pm Glad to see you have found the motivation to get back at it. Good luck with the rebuild!
Thanks Skid. Well I can't straighten this out so will build a new one. Have to cut the arms off of the right side but shocks are good to go!
beamISbent.jpg
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/guzBrTBSxJo[/BBvideo]
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

When a tube creases like that the tube is toast.

Too bad you don't live closer as I have an K&L AL beam sitting around drawing dust; a bit wider than stock though.

Lee
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:20 pm When a tube creases like that the tube is toast.

Too bad you don't live closer as I have an K&L AL beam sitting around drawing dust; a bit wider than stock though.

Lee
Was joking about bending the beam back. Thanks for the offer Lee but don’t think the aluminum one would hold up for me. I’m kind of abusive on that front end, well rear end too for that matter.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I knew that, my reply was meant as joking too. If I remember correctly the AL beam I have was meant to be a stronger replacement for the stock one that was on there. It probably would have been OK if it hadn't been wider than stock. The guy we got the buggy from not only rides in the sand in OR but AZ also.

If you are trying to "doze" a road through rocky or clear tree lined terrain then an IFS probably would not work either. . . unless you have a Bulldozer blade in the front then you would have to worry about the tube frame :wink: :lol: .

What are you going to use for your new front suspension?

Lee
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Most of the front end is torn down, getting ready to figure out where to cut it off at. Have ideas, wife gave me a 3k budget so need to figure out which tubing bender to get, arms, Saginaw box, have one rear shock need to take apart and see if it is bent. Things are getting back to normal, spent a bit of time just starring at it last night.