I have some things to straighten out

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Re: I have some things to straighten out

Post by Leatherneck »

Most of the front end is torn down, getting ready to figure out where to cut it off at. Have ideas, wife gave me a 3k budget so need to figure out which tubing bender to get, arms, Saginaw box, have one rear shock need to take apart and see if it is bent. Things are getting back to normal, spent a bit of time just starring at it last night.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

CentralWAbaja wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:27 am
Leatherneck wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:01 pm
I always seemed to bend tie rods, I know put limits on them but I want to figure out a way to open the area up that they ride in so I can use more of my travel.Thinking about putting the Beam clamps closer together, pro and con? Ideas, pictures etc are appreciated.
beamISbent.jpg
The easy thing for me to do here is to say have Joe text you a pic of his, I like the way MB did the lower chassis of the baja when he was building it. But NO......I have to take a trip down memory lane. I forgot that car had aspirations of being a V8 A-arm car with a ridiculously large set of front A-arms and bulkhead at one point. buy I digress.....

And surprisingly most of his pics are still in that old thread. So that was fun. I am off to work on my theory/version of tie rod clearance. :wink:
I like that bend in the front, James Ginsberg was doing the same on Mano’s Buggy, couldn’t believe the notch job somebody did.
Well I pulled the trigger on a JD 32 tube bender the other day. Need to figure out where to mount it, probably pour a spot in the backyard for it. https://www.jd2.com/model-32-bender
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I like the way you did the "X" to add some support to the front beam. Good job!

Lee
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Yes they did a very nice job on that one Lee.
I am getting ready to chop the front end off, is there anything I need to check out or do before I do that?
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Did you ever find some rear 3x3 arms?
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"… Well I pulled the trigger on a JD 32 tube bender the other day. Need to figure out where to mount it, probably pour a spot in the backyard for it. "

Since it doesn't rain, fog, snow or any of the other wet and not too warm things as much as around here you might be OK outside but why not put some kind of a mounting provision in the floor of your garage; just make sure you have enough room to swing a long tube. It could be permanent or drill the holes in the floor then use the mounts that expand when the bolts are in place. Otherwise, when its not in use you can remove it and make the area flat.

Lee
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

If you convert to hydraulic ram instead of using the ratchet setup to bend tubing, you can mount the bender on a cart. It what I did with my JD Squared model 32. I bought the parts to convert to using a Harbor Freight Air/hydraulic ram they sell for use with a cherry picker.
The place I bought the parts to attach the ram to the bender is SWAG Offroad in oregon http://www.swagoffroad.com/
Swag has two different mounts for the ram and a return setup use surgically tubing and clips on.
They even sell a DRO setup to use instead of the the coat hanger for measuring the angle of the bend.
I recommend going to their site to see all the different tools they sell and they have videos of them using the tools they make.
And if you are looking for ideas for tube bending carts that others have made, type in tube bending cart and many pictures come up.
Joseph
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I haven't bought Arms yet, the ones on FB aren't up to shipping, kind of understandable but frustrating. I have time as I think I need to get the front end built. I was going to mount it inside but space would be better outside, I am pouring a small slab for it now. Hopefully a 16X16X6 will be enough. I plan on going hydraulic, didn't know about the Swagoffroad info, very much appreciated..

What tubing do you suggest for the Front Beam and frame tube. Also I don't want to rely on the old frame measurements to build a beam.What points of measurement do you guys suggest? Any need to go with a 8" wider vice the 6"? I am kind of open to any changes front and back, figure this is the time to make it. Thank you for the info and input.
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

Add a bumper.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Leather, I have some pix of rail front ends, at least two different styles. Are you interested in me posting them"

Lee
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

UPDATES !!!!! Please :)
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Last I heard he was adding a rub rail all the way around the outside like a carnival ride bumper car. That way if any more trees get in his way he'll bounce right off of them.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

You asked what not to do when they cut the front end off: get your feet out of the way :wink: !
DSCN0923 copy.jpg
DSCN0927 copy.jpg
One style and has electric steering.
019 copy.jpg
A bit different style.
DSCN0784 copy.jpg
Again, a bit different.

Some of the guys I know own these.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

jt1967 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:34 am UPDATES !!!!! Please :)
Sorry guys, I know I have been amiss in my updates, I have a lot of info to pass along.

CentralWAbaja wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:47 pm Last I heard he was adding a rub rail all the way around the outside like a carnival ride bumper car. That way if any more trees get in his way he'll bounce right off of them.
They don't make a rub rail big or thick enough. Last word I got though is I might not of moved the tree but in the long run it is dead.. I have posts to make on a new project.