2018 Battle @ Primm race

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
dustymojave

2018 Battle @ Primm race

Post by dustymojave »

Our group attended the race this year. Less our fearless leader Art Savedra, who passed away last year.

My wife and I had not planned to go, but were talked into it at the last minute. We pitted in the north pit. On the straight out of the CORR track, right under the power lines. As we have the last couple of years. We camped out there this time. In the 75mph winds in our tent trailer. :roll: Kinda like a theme park ride...or an offroad ride in a Baja with no seat belts.

We are really a very loosely affiliated group of racers. Somewhat like Checkers or the old Fair group or Locos Mocos or other pit support groups, and yet, there is no club, no organization, no membership, no dues, or rules or even stickers. Just a bunch of friends getting together at the races and sometimes away too.

The core of the group, I suppose, would be Art's own 5/1600 Baja. Last year he had both of his 5-1600 out racing. But this year after Art passed, then a down-the-peninsula Baja 1000, so his son Guy only brought one of the cars this time. Art's son-in-law Raul ("Rulo") Solano's ORAF shop seems to be about the best fab and prep shop for 5-16s around these days considering the result in the class at this race and others over the last 10 years or more. ORAF group took 1st, 2nd, 3rd in 5-1600. Ruben Garcia took 1st in a Bug built in the ORAF shop and Ruben used to work there. 2nd was Guy Savedra in the AGS Baja. Then in 3rd was Mark Winston in his bright green car over from Colorado. Mark brought his clean and pretty Baja that was built by Mark and a couple of friends to Rulo late in 2016 and Rulo made it WORK! Mark's been around hot rods and such before, but it appears he's hooked on offroad racing now! He went down to Baja in November and took his Bug for a chase vehicle for the AGS team. 4th in Class Chris Sarris does not pit with us, but had his car rebuilt by Rulo this past year. The 5th place car in class was also put together by ORAF, although I believe it's been sold since it was brought out to last year's race. That's almost total domination of that class!

Then Rulo drove one of the Lone Kid 1600 buggies. Lucas Knecht drove the other and they finished nose to tail. in 8th and 9th. Not as successful as in the Bajas, but they did alright. Mike Harvey is practically a family member and he finished 12th after rolling his single seater going around the little building down at the Hot Pit end of the course.

Another part of the group is the crazy Indians, Monte Tibbets and crew, who come down each year from North Dakota with the Class 8 truck they built and maintain themselves. They always pit with us. And win! And they now have friends with other trucks who join them to grow the group more.

Raul Yanez of our group took 3rd in Class 9.

As I said to Cameron in another thread:
I watched you! Did ya see me out front waving my hat at ya?
But we were getting our other cars ready to go, so I really didn't have much time to run over there to your pit, which I presume was in the same area as the last few years.

Billy Worthing had his Class 1 car out and broke the gear box Saturday afternoon. So someone was sent to LA to fetch another gear box overnight and it was replaced Sunday morning.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
BAJA-IT

Re: 2018 Battle @ Primm race

Post by BAJA-IT »

If I had known you were there I would have came over and said hello.

We did pretty good for our heavy 2 seat car. Patrick drove on day one with me in the right seat, we qualified 4th on Friday, but they started us in 5th, not sure why, we ended up finishing 7th. We knew some of the single seaters that did not qualify would get past us so we were just looking for a good finish and to be able to race again on Sunday.
Sunday I drove and Curtis was in the right seat, they started us in 8th on Sunday, again not sure why, but we got the whole shot on the start and were out of the CORE track first. We drove hard and were able to finish in 5th, giving us a 5th overall. And a bonus was getting to drive the car back on the trailer after the race.

The other 9 car that came down from Utah and driven by Corey Ellis did well at qualifying and got the number 1 spot, even with the accelerator pump not being hooked up. They were having problems getting the car jetted right and never noticed the clip had come out of the linkage. Saturday Corey was leading the class by about a half minute when coming in to the start/finish at the end of his second lap the car quit. Found the brass fuel nipple had come out of the carb. The safety crew would not let him fix it and go back out because of all the fuel on and around the engine.
They got the carb fixed for Sunday and were getting ready to head to staging when they found the rear LED light bar was not working, so we took the front amber light off our car and they made it to staging in time to race. But their racing didn't last long, at the first corner on the CORE track Corey broke an axel and they were done for the day.

Can't wait to go back again next year!
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
dustymojave

Re: 2018 Battle @ Primm race

Post by dustymojave »

We as a group need to communicate a little better before events, I suppose.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting