king & link rebuild

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
mlrailguy

king & link rebuild

Post by mlrailguy »

I have noticed while shopping for rebuild kits, that most kits do not have the seal and seal retainer. Are these not needed?
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: king & link rebuild

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If you are needing to rebuild then it is probably a good idea to go the whole way unless you have already recently done them. But, even then refreshed is refreshed.
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

Mine are getting worn, so wanting to refresh them, but as I was saying, most kits do not have the seals. I believe JBugs was the only vendor showing these in their kit, and they were about $20 higher priced.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Yeah, its usually and as far as I could remember it was usually a two kit deal and that is for most any car. Two different topics/jobs and two different costs they can get you for you might say.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Usually k&l rebuilding kits are one for replacing the king pins and bushings on both sides, and another kit for replacing all 4 of the link pins, bushings and shims. The kits SHOULD include ALL parts needed for the complete job. Any kit that does not is not a complete kit and should not be considered for purchase. I've never encountered a a stock-type rebuild kit for either that was incomplete.

Heavy duty offroad parts are sold separately. Such as:
- HD king pins in one kit.
- HD king pin bushings in a separate kit.
- HD link pins in another kit.
- HD link pin bushings in another kit.
- Link pin shims in another kit. (40 pack without dust seals or 36 pack + seals)

If you are shopping for king pin rebuild kits and they don't include the grease seal and cap, then the kit is not complete. Care to share some links to those that DO have the seals and those that do NOT?
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

so far JBugs is only one to have seals
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

OK, it's the link pin sets. Most of them have the retainer and o-ring, but not all.
Also picked up the reamer from Pacific Customs. Has anybody got any tips on using this? Almost looks too short to go through both bushings, and I see no way to get it centered in bottom bushing. Video would be cool.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vi ... ORM=VRDGAR
645575[1].jpg
I hope this helps

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

That is definitely not the same reamer I have received. Maybe I can send it back and find the one used in video
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Available at Car Craft, but it is not cheap.
kingpinreamer.aspx
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

I'm on a very limited budget. Got the one from Pacific Customs.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Have you priced a machine shop pressing in the bushings then reaming them to size compared to the cost of the tool? Back when playing with old Fords and having the work done by them it, in the long run (how often will you use it) was cheaper to have it done but that was me and that was a long time ago which translates how often will you need/use it. Like most specialty tools... that is the question. The other question would be does your machine shop have the tool and would they charge you to buy it, do the work then they keep it :roll: ? There is always thoughts on everything is there.

Lee
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Unless you're dealing with a vintage VW specialty shop. they're HIGHLY UNLIKELY to have the correct reamer. These days, it's highly unlikely that they would even have a bushing reamer. Cars don't commonly have such bushings anymore. And haven't for a few decades. Many mechanics wouldn't even know how to do this job.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"Many mechanics wouldn't even know how to do this job." ... this is probably so true which is why I asked the question about checking with a machine shop!
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Aircooled.net will rent you the reamer for $30.00 (plus a deposit).

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/710-King-P ... rental.htm